• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Strong Lifts 5 by 5 Thread

Associate
Ah right , thanks for clearing that up for me Holiday :)

Going to start this soon when my kricked neck has sorted itself out!!!

How are you getting on with it so far?

Slipperz :)

Only just started, on my first B workout today. Very weird starting with just the bar, but is a great opportunity to sort out your form, and for myself to focus on cardio for a couple of weeks.

Gives you a set routine and added weight each week to aim for so looks promising.

Soldato
Hey guys. I am new to this 'getting proper fit like' malarky and after having a relapsed dislocated knee cap (10 year gap) before christmas, i have decided to do something about it

After two weeks of mainly cardio have decided its time to start building some muscle mass. I am very much at ground zero, and have next to no experience with free weights at all. I like the look of the Strong Lifts program so am giving it a go, mainly using t'nternets for form, technique, stretches and advice After familiarising myself with the free weights this morning, i had my first A session :) Even squats were tough work but i will stick it out :)

Man of Honour
Nice one BunnyKillBot.

After you get used to the form you might find it becomes a little too easy for a while like I did, but stick with the program and don't be tempted to increase the weight more than it says! The slow progression works a real treat and you'll soon be finding it pretty challenging :p

2 days 'til I get back on it. Wondering whether to just start from the very beginning because it'll be a bit too easy, I guess there's no harm in it as the weight ramps up very quickly anyway :)

Associate
Nice one BunnyKillBot.

After you get used to the form you might find it becomes a little too easy for a while like I did, but stick with the program and don't be tempted to increase the weight more than it says! The slow progression works a real treat and you'll soon be finding it pretty challenging :p

2 days 'til I get back on it. Wondering whether to just start from the very beginning because it'll be a bit too easy, I guess there's no harm in it as the weight ramps up very quickly anyway :)

If you've done any significant amount of training with these particular exercises before (and that bit is important) I'd probably advise against starting with an empty bar.

I took it as being a 12 weeks program - in that time you will add 90kg from your starting weight to squats and deads and 45kg to the other lifts. If you've never squatted before - then ending 12 weeks at a 110kg is obviously a great achievement, but for a lifter looking to break through a plateau I would look at the numbers, how long you intend to follow the program for and your goal at the end and pick a sensible starting point.

Permabanned
Does SL help with muscle mass or just strength? My current routine is fine and has helped my posture a lot, but I'm still scrawny as hell @ 80kg 6'3".

Associate
Squatting every session has definitely resulted in tighter jeans for me!

It's not hypertrophy specific, but imo these things are often a bit over thought - if you lift heavy and eat right you're going to put on mass (to a point).

Soldato
Glad i gave friday a miss at the gym - been loaded with a cold/flu for the last 4 days now and it's not showing any signs of clearing!

Associate
Squats 110 5x5 - getting me sweating now!
Bench 82.5 5X5 - new PB for reps so really happy I managed 5 sets
BOR 80 5,5,4,3 (deload to 60 x 8) - form breaking badly after the first two sets - time for my first 10% deload for next time

Soldato
hey guys,

I'm looking at perhaps jumping ship to SL5x5, I am one week into GVT as per

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/luis13.htm

but feel it's a bit lacking in some areas? I am feeling the burn though!!

I can train as many times per week as required over the next 12 weeks, and I am looking at maximising strength and size gains in this time, but keeping/getting leaner with it!

Does anyone have time to quickly put together what they think would be the best workout plan with this in mind? My gym has most equipment.

I am 6'4 and 95kg.

Man of Honour
hey guys,

I'm looking at perhaps jumping ship to SL5x5, I am one week into GVT as per

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/luis13.htm

but feel it's a bit lacking in some areas? I am feeling the burn though!!

I can train as many times per week as required over the next 12 weeks, and I am looking at maximising strength and size gains in this time, but keeping/getting leaner with it!

Does anyone have time to quickly put together what they think would be the best workout plan with this in mind? My gym has most equipment.

I am 6'4 and 95kg.
PHAT or HST would be my recommendations.

Soldato
From what i can make out SL5x5 is only 3 excercises though, Squat, bench and Deadlifts? Surely that is not all people do, even from this thread people are doing BOR etc?

The SL5x5 app for example only has room for these for example, so I assumed there is more to stronglift than meets the eye and this just the base of the workout?

Soldato
From what i can make out SL5x5 is only 3 excercises though, Squat, bench and Deadlifts? Surely that is not all people do, even from this thread people are doing BOR etc?

The SL5x5 app for example only has room for these for example, so I assumed there is more to stronglift than meets the eye and this just the base of the workout?
Workout A:
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Rows 5x5

Workout B:
Squats 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5

Man of Honour
I find his stuff kinda fun to read, even if it is a little bit like reading a tabloid newspaper.

Please Mehdi, tell me how to think more! I'll let him off because he's correct from what I've seen :p

Soldato
Right, done my first A set, started really light

40kg squat, 20kg bench and 20kg row.

Im not sure if i've started too low though, as the 40kg squat i comfortably completed a 10x10 set of last week and 5x5 is immensely easier!

Should i still stick with the 2.5kg increments or jump it a little and follow the program through?

Tom.

Back
Top Bottom