• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Strong Lifts 5 by 5 Thread

Man of Honour
Right, done my first A set, started really light

40kg squat, 20kg bench and 20kg row.

Im not sure if i've started too low though, as the 40kg squat i comfortably completed a 10x10 set of last week and 5x5 is immensely easier!

Should i still stick with the 2.5kg increments or jump it a little and follow the program through?

Tom.

Mehdi says to start a bit higher if it's really too easy/you know your 5RM. Enter your 5RM or whatever rep maxes you know into the spreadhseet and see what it comes out with.

He also says that at any point in the program, if it feels really too easy to jump up 5kg instead of 2.5 kg for the next workout and see if it's significantly harder.

Associate
Mehdi says to start a bit higher if it's really too easy/you know your 5RM. Enter your 5RM or whatever rep maxes you know into the spreadhseet and see what it comes out with.

He also says that at any point in the program, if it feels really too easy to jump up 5kg instead of 2.5 kg for the next workout and see if it's significantly harder.

I'd disagree with that second point - I reckon you need at least two-three weeks of squatting every session just to get used to it. It shouldn't be a struggle in that time.

Associate
How is this for adding size?

I have been doing it for a couple of months now, I have added some strength but no visible size.

People have mentioned adding strength, but none has mentioned adding size.

Any one had luck this way?

Thanks.

Associate
What are you eating?

Today's fun after getting soaked getting down there.
Squats 115 5x5
Bench 85 5, 5, 5, 5, 4 - Still happy, my previous 1RM was 90 so likely to better this soon
BOR (10% deload) 70 - 5x5

Associate
I took a break from SL5x5 for almost a month due to a new job, back on it now and it only took just over a week to get back to where I was.

Problem though, I can't seem to get past 60kg squats :/
I think it's too early to switch to 3x5 (I want to get to 90kg first ideally), before I took my break I was stuck at 60kg for a while, I deloaded once and just stopped at around 60kg again.

More protein I guess?

Associate
Today's workout

Squats 107.5 5x5
Bench 105 5x5 but, last rep on last set struggled :(
Bow 80 5x5

For the first time in years I actually gained size on my arms, haven't measured but a definate increase! Feeling quite "thick" back wise, and I actually have an arse due to squatting heh

Soldato
I took a break from SL5x5 for almost a month due to a new job, back on it now and it only took just over a week to get back to where I was.

Problem though, I can't seem to get past 60kg squats :/
I think it's too early to switch to 3x5 (I want to get to 90kg first ideally), before I took my break I was stuck at 60kg for a while, I deloaded once and just stopped at around 60kg again.

More protein I guess?

Whats your diet like?

Also, might be worth getting up a form vid too. Just incase the form is wrong and might be stopping you hit your new PB's :)

Associate
Whats your diet like?

Also, might be worth getting up a form vid too. Just incase the form is wrong and might be stopping you hit your new PB's :)

I might not be eating enough..
Is there a way to work out how much I'm supposed to be consuming based on bodyweight?

I'm pretty sure my form is ok, I'll try to get some vids up if I can find a camera that I don't mind taking into the gym :p

Associate
Been enjoying starting the SL 5 x 5 but I am finding the BOR is really hurting my lower back.

I've been reading up on form and the fact I am tall ish (6ft 3") doesn't help matters. When I try and keep my chest up, shoulders back and back at the correct angle it hurts a bit.

Any suggestions? Maybe just a weak back!

Soldato
Just started this today as I fancied a change.

Done weights on and off for 20 years, but strangely enough, I've never squatted before!

Thought I'd start out light, so did everything with 20kg's, and the squats still hurt, lol! :p

Man of Honour
I might not be eating enough..
Is there a way to work out how much I'm supposed to be consuming based on bodyweight?

I'm pretty sure my form is ok, I'll try to get some vids up if I can find a camera that I don't mind taking into the gym :p
No disrespect intended, but your form is almost certainly not good :p

This is purely based on the number of people squatting badly, which in my gym is about 95%. Not kidding!

Get a video up :)
Been enjoying starting the SL 5 x 5 but I am finding the BOR is really hurting my lower back.

I've been reading up on form and the fact I am tall ish (6ft 3") doesn't help matters. When I try and keep my chest up, shoulders back and back at the correct angle it hurts a bit.

Any suggestions? Maybe just a weak back!
You shouldn't feel anything in your lower back. In fact your entire back shouldn't be moving at all, so there should be zero opportunity for anything to go wrong.

Fortunately, it has absolutely nothing to do with your height, so it's completely fixable.

What's most likely happening is that you're lifting with a bent back, and possibly jerking the weight around with your legs rather than letting your lats + assisting muscles do all the work. Extremely common mistake.

Get a video up.
Just started this today as I fancied a change.

Done weights on and off for 20 years, but strangely enough, I've never squatted before!

Thought I'd start out light, so did everything with 20kg's, and the squats still hurt, lol! :p
20 years of gym and no squatting :eek::eek::eek:

You're in for a pasting :D

Associate
Thanks icecold,

I'll try to get someone to video it for me.

There seems to be many variations on what angle your back should be, parallel or more of an incline. I see you have started a thread about techniques etc as well, nice one ;)

I think maybe I'll need to deload a bit and get the form spot on before adding any more weight to the bar.

Slipperz

Associate
Jumped to my target squat last night as felt strong & had good few days eating.

170x5x5

Absolutely hell! Almost spewed in the gym but nailed it!

Went to do 220x5 deads... No chalk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nightmare... decided todo workout A instead of B as without chalk it woulda been a waste of time for sure!

So done 120x5x5 bench and some wide grip chins.

Need to-do workout B on Thursday now & yes ive chucked the chalk in my gym bag lol

If i get the 170 squats and 220 dead then the following week ill get some 1rpm attempts with Vids hopfuy on here.

Soldato
Well, that went well...

Did my first set all at 20kg's on Monday, then went for a 10 mile bike ride a couple of hours later. Front of my right thigh (quadriceps?) has been killing ever since, now to the point I can hardly put any weight on it, bugger! :(

Think I'll start again next week, any tips on stretching/warmup please?

Soldato
I do 8 mins on crosstrainer and some general stretches etc before I start.

However 2 weeks off from the gym as I've had a bad cold etc that has left me with a ridiculous cough now. Was out on the bike for 10 miles last night but will get back to gym next week.

Soldato
So Ive been doing 5x5 for 3 weeks now, working around the limitations of my injuries and I'm rather happy with progress made with the squats at least.

Started off on just doing 50KG squat to feel things out, and up to 100 5x5 :)

Associate
Guys would you recommend SL for me?

I'm on a big weight loss regime at the moment and it's working well but the weights side of it is a bit of a mess, I am relying heavily on pure cardio at the moment.

I go to the gym 6 times a week and on Monday, Wednesday and Friday I do weights but I am a bit clueless so it tends to be Shoulders, Legs then Chest which is probably rubbish.

If I did SL on those 3 days a week would this compliment my weight loss and give me a good base to start lifting on or is it mainly aimed at people who are already in good shape weight wise?

Soldato
Depends.
You seem hung up on "weight". Is the actual weight bothering you, or the flubber the covers your body?

Sure you can initially lose some weight, but the main thing is that you will most likely plateau in "weight loss". I can how you umpteen examples of what I'm talking about, but I guess it's clear?

I look at some of the guys' physique in the "Show your bodybuilding pics" thread, where guys weigh the same/less than me, but they are a helluva lot "bigger" and solid looking, which is one of my goals with 5x5.

Besides, doing a few curlz here and there will benefit you near to nothing, 5x5 is a lot more rewarding ;)

Back
Top Bottom