• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Strong Lifts 5 by 5 Thread

Soldato
Good session today

5 x 5 @ 62.5kg Squat
5 x 5 @ 42.5kg Bench
5 x 5 @ 52.5kg bendover row

Very pleased when I actually look back at just under 2 months ago when starting.

squat was 20kg
Bench was 20kg
Bendover was 30kg.

Sore legs tonight mind you but no sore back which is usually a ok sign that form is "ok"!

Associate
Nice progression!

I got my 5x80 tonight on bench (take that psychological barrier) but form is all over the shop on the same for row so going to sort that. Squats still fine at 105.

Soldato
So Ive been doing 5x5 for some time, however due to a series of injuries (broken arm, torn ligaments, damaged wrist, torn clavicular off the rotator cuff etc) I've been set-back many times and it took ages to get back into it every time.

Once again, I'm in the process of starting over but looking for some help.

At present, my wrist is still very busted and the shoulder is taking a little time to heal, leaving me with a limited range of certain movements.

I'm looking for alternative suggestions to my workout.

What I can do:
Deadlift
Bent over barbell row (though it hurts a bit, but it's manageable)
Squat

What I physically can not do at all:
Bench (only just manage to press the olympic bar)
Military press (same as above)
Anything in which i need to bend my wrist and push up

Looking at some advise and possible alternatives to make up for what I can not do?

Squatting 70KGS
Deadlift 80KGS ( doing 5 sets of 5 in stead of 1)
Bent over 50KGS

Advice and help would be appreciated!

Soldato
Today

Warmup

5 x 5 reps @ 67.5kg squat
5 x 5 reps @ 30kg overhead press
2 x 5 reps @ 85kg deadlift

Some streches and core work.

So de-loaded the OHP today after 2 failed attempts @ 37.5kg. Tried offsetting my feet and working thru the set that way. Seemed better balance. I guess it was more of a push press that OHP as I was bending and pushing up with my legs a little bit.

Did 2 sets of deadlifts instead of just one as I wasn't overly happy with 1st set and form. But pleased to get 2 sets in.

All going ok again.

Permabanned
Am I correct in thinking that there shouldn't be any leg drive?

I do it without leg drive unless it's the last rep and I can't manage it. :p I don't count the rep then though in terms of the program as I feel it's cheating.

That said since joining the gym I'd say my workouts have actually gotten worse and are a bit hit and miss depending whats available. :(

Visiting home this week (Wolverhampton) and taking a break from all exercise other than a few mountain biking trips and going to go back to Manchester with a plan all set out again. Far too easy sometimes to have a bad week and fall into bad habits, I hate it!!!

Man of Honour
i've always neglected squats (yes yes I know, I really shouldn't!). It's mainly due to what others have said on here, don't have a rack so it does't feel safe.

Blah blah blah, excuses excuses excuses :p

I did the steinborn lift for 4 months in gym with a ceiling too low to stand the bar up properly, but I still got it done! Get yourself steinborning, it'll do for up to around your bodyweight at least.

I'm back on this now as of Monday. I've said this for the past few weeks but this time there'll be no stopping me :p

I keep doing one randomly here and there, erally want to get back in to it like I was in the Falklands! Will be good to see how I progress with decent equipment and a rack :D

Last edited:
Associate
Nice workout B last night

160x5x5 Squats - Felt strong and Very good.
DB shoulder press - 46KGx5x5
210x5 Deads Again very strong and comfortable.

Had to db shoulder press as the rack was in use and didn't wanna wait around..

Jumped a bit with the deads, but wanted them in Sync with squats... Weight wise

Now when I get 170 Squats ill hit 220 deads.

JC

Associate
Crazy lifts.

I went tonight thinking it would be nice and empty but some guy was doing a crazy circuit using the pull up bars in the squat rack and dips on the catchers. He let me work in but hauling the bar up and down each time was a pain. Extra bit of workout though I guess!

Squats 107.5 5x5
OHP 60 5,4,2,3,3 :(
Dead 145X5 (with straps)

BW down to 69kg

Associate
I'm confused..... so you have workout A and B but you train 3 times per week. So which workout do you do twice? Or am I being stupid?!!

It's A Monday, B Wednesday, A Friday. Then on the next Monday you start on B, then A on Wednesday, then B on Friday.

Just started this myself, if anyone has an iphone theres a great app called StrongLifts on the App store, it's free also!

Associate
It's A Monday, B Wednesday, A Friday. Then on the next Monday you start on B, then A on Wednesday, then B on Friday.

Just started this myself, if anyone has an iphone theres a great app called StrongLifts on the App store, it's free also!

Ah right , thanks for clearing that up for me Holiday :)

Going to start this soon when my kricked neck has sorted itself out!!!

How are you getting on with it so far?

Slipperz :)

Back
Top Bottom