• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Strong Lifts 5 by 5 Thread

Soldato
Cool, definitely noticing a difference, really enjoying it at the moment.:D

nice one indeed - I' started in march and just behind you in terms of weights etc - similar 2 times a week, 3 at a push but having lost some weight and gained some strength i'm happy so far.

Failed last time out with OHP @ 37.5kg on last 2 sets so that's fridays target to push that for all 5 sets.

Currently after today

75kg deadlift
60kg squat
50kg bendover row
40 bench
37.5kg overhead press

Associate
nice one indeed - I' started in march and just behind you in terms of weights etc - similar 2 times a week, 3 at a push but having lost some weight and gained some strength i'm happy so far.

Failed last time out with OHP @ 37.5kg on last 2 sets so that's fridays target to push that for all 5 sets.

Currently after today

75kg deadlift
60kg squat
50kg bendover row
40 bench
37.5kg overhead press

Thanks mate, i find with a good nights sleep and a positive attitude i do much better, if i go in the gym feeling tired and not looking forward to it i do struggle

Good luck on friday i'm sure you'll push through:)

Last edited:
Soldato
Time to give this a go. It looks like the ideal workout for me, short, sharp and focused. I need to start really light as my back has been giving me problems recently. This may also be because I'm not doing as much exercise for it...

Do you guys do any cardio too? I quite like to cycle and play a bit of football in the week.

Soldato
Good & Bad!

Warmup

5 x 5 reps @ 62.5kg squat - happy days - still progressing on target.
3 x 5 reps @ 37.5kg and 2 x 3 @ 37.5kg OHP - :(
1 x 5 reps @ 80 kg deadlift - still progressing on target.

So failed again on OHP - a real struggle again - think a de-load to 30kg and start again on this one is needed. Just not there at all.

On the plus side - never bothered with a single RM on anything but managed

1 x 70kg Squat
1 x 100kg Deadlift :eek:

Was really pleased with these 2 efforts which shows that i've got some good improvements still in me but OHP is really bugging me now.

Associate
Good & Bad!

Warmup

5 x 5 reps @ 62.5kg squat - happy days - still progressing on target.
3 x 5 reps @ 37.5kg and 2 x 3 @ 37.5kg OHP - :(
1 x 5 reps @ 80 kg deadlift - still progressing on target.

So failed again on OHP - a real struggle again - think a de-load to 30kg and start again on this one is needed. Just not there at all.

On the plus side - never bothered with a single RM on anything but managed

1 x 70kg Squat
1 x 100kg Deadlift :eek:

Was really pleased with these 2 efforts which shows that i've got some good improvements still in me but OHP is really bugging me now.

Good going buddy, not out of lack of trust but purely to help, have you got any vids of your OHP? Just to check your form - perhaps your to narrow or to wide or something?

If your doing standing Mill press, perhaps push-press it but control the down movement? just to get used to it - you will find you can prob add 10-20K if you pushpress, then revert to 37.5 for strict OHP you will smash it!

Soldato
Good going buddy, not out of lack of trust but purely to help, have you got any vids of your OHP? Just to check your form - perhaps your to narrow or to wide or something?

If your doing standing Mill press, perhaps push-press it but control the down movement? just to get used to it - you will find you can prob add 10-20K if you pushpress, then revert to 37.5 for strict OHP you will smash it!

Thanks for info :)- not got any videos - not got a decent camera phone to take any videos. Grip is a bit wider than shoulder width apart.

Thinking about it - i'm would say I'm sort of halfway between military press and push press at the moment. Kind of using a dip and push up to try and get it. Will keep going and working thru it - takes time I guess!

Associate
Thanks for info :)- not got any videos - not got a decent camera phone to take any videos. Grip is a bit wider than shoulder width apart.

Thinking about it - i'm would say I'm sort of halfway between military press and push press at the moment. Kind of using a dip and push up to try and get it. Will keep going and working thru it - takes time I guess!

I normally find those who are good at the push press have good tricep power...
I would say maybe add in some lockouts but there isnt any room for that in the 5x5, it is just time mate, i was stuck on a weight for 5 months its annoying but so satisfying when you smash past it I cant wait for my 1rpm efforts in the 3rd week of may!

Soldato
I normally find those who are good at the push press have good tricep power...
I would say maybe add in some lockouts but there isnt any room for that in the 5x5, it is just time mate, i was stuck on a weight for 5 months its annoying but so satisfying when you smash past it I cant wait for my 1rpm efforts in the 3rd week of may!

cheers - will stick at it - just noticed the figures in your sig!:eek::eek::eek:

Nice work

Associate
Got my 57.5kg 5X5 today, required a lot of rest time between sets though. Had to bust out straps for 140kg DL after only getting three with mixed grip. Should invest in some chalk....

Associate
I've got a decent bench at home and been doing the 5x5 for around a year now.. well not really true as i've always neglected squats (yes yes I know, I really shouldn't!). It's mainly due to what others have said on here, don't have a rack so it does't feel safe. My bench is adjustable and goes fairly high but i'm 6ft 6 - i'd imagine it's easily high enough for the average person in order to get the weight onto their upper back for squats but for me it's in the middle of my back and find I have to bend down far too much in order to do the initial lift.

Would holding heavy dumbells in either hand be ok do you think? I've seen this done with really light weights but obviously for squatting they'd have to be considerable weight. I don't know whether this would cause an imbalance?

Soldato
I've got a decent bench at home and been doing the 5x5 for around a year now.. well not really true as i've always neglected squats (yes yes I know, I really shouldn't!). It's mainly due to what others have said on here, don't have a rack so it does't feel safe. My bench is adjustable and goes fairly high but i'm 6ft 6 - i'd imagine it's easily high enough for the average person in order to get the weight onto their upper back for squats but for me it's in the middle of my back and find I have to bend down far too much in order to do the initial lift.

Would holding heavy dumbells in either hand be ok do you think? I've seen this done with really light weights but obviously for squatting they'd have to be considerable weight. I don't know whether this would cause an imbalance?

Lunges would help for working the legs and core too.

Associate
So I just started this today.

Did Workout A: squats, bench press and barbell rows and it felt crazy easy but I guess it builds up fairly quickly. Tomorrow I will be Workout B: squats, overhead press and deadlift

Rinse and repeat with a hopeful 4 workouts a week.

Now the questions I hope you guys can help me with are:

1) Is it recommended to do other more focused weights alongside these or just stick to the routine?

2) Can you confirm my understanding of the weight increase? I believe it to be 2.5kg per workout, so based on 4 workouts a week - squats increase 10kg and every other one 5kg?

Thanks and as my squat weight is so poor, this should be very interesting!

Soldato
How are you supposed to do the exercises?

Do 1 set of Squat then 1 set of Bench press then 1 set of bent over rows and rince and repeat until all 5 sets are done.

or 5 sets of squats . 5 sets of bench press etc.

Man of Honour
So I just started this today.

Did Workout A: squats, bench press and barbell rows and it felt crazy easy but I guess it builds up fairly quickly. Tomorrow I will be Workout B: squats, overhead press and deadlift

Rinse and repeat with a hopeful 4 workouts a week.

Now the questions I hope you guys can help me with are:

1) Is it recommended to do other more focused weights alongside these or just stick to the routine?

2) Can you confirm my understanding of the weight increase? I believe it to be 2.5kg per workout, so based on 4 workouts a week - squats increase 10kg and every other one 5kg?

Thanks and as my squat weight is so poor, this should be very interesting!
1) Why would you add other exercises

2) Read the site again, it's three workouts a week.
http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
How are you supposed to do the exercises?

Do 1 set of Squat then 1 set of Bench press then 1 set of bent over rows and rince and repeat until all 5 sets are done.

or 5 sets of squats . 5 sets of bench press etc.
All sets for each exercise together.

Back
Top Bottom