• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The £450-460 price on the 3070, which is where it should be after launch madness dies downs is great value. It's the best performance per watt and cost per frame card.

At least until the 6700XT comes out next year. But yeh I agree and will be trying to get a 3070 tomorrow.

Associate
So its not exactly getting worse with RDNA2 now is it.

We dont know yet, but as i say its memory focused, the 6800xt for instance is 300w, and the memory bus is kind of small, and im not even sure if AMD are using the fastest Gddr6, plus we have no idea yet if the infinity cash hinders or helps.

History says AMD are generally the best mining cards, this is a new architecture however with a massive change to the memory, so it could be good or bad.

I personally think its not going to be great, and i have seen recent hints at AMD readying Navi1 based mining cards as well.

Soldato
Fully agree, reviews will show this. If these cards lose significant performance when you don't have a 5900x to pair it with, reviewers will shred AMD for claiming its faster but only for some people

I doubt AMD would be stupid enough to compare their gpu's with the competition with SAM enabled. They would be called out immediately when reviews hit.
From what I can see they have clearly indicated which benchmarks had the SAM feature enabled so I reckon it was a fair comparison. They probably have the ability to disable SAM in the motherboard bios.

Soldato
The RX 6900 XT isnt looking that good from a value perspective, just 8 CUs more than the RX 6800 XT and the same clock speed. Maybe the 6900 XT will have other advantages, like more ROPs or cache? Same 300w tdp though, so not too bad.
Yeah, its a daft product like the 3090.

Soldato
RDNA is already better than Ampere for mining on a hashrate/watt basis. 2 x 5700 XT is better than a 3080 (where both the 3080 and 5700XT are power optimised).

At this point I'd rather they just made headless mining cards for the mining communities to abuse. Its another revenue stream at the end of the day. Albeit another load of manufacturing...

Associate
The RX 6900 XT isnt looking that good from a value perspective, just 8 CUs more than the RX 6800 XT and the same clock speed. Maybe the 6900 XT will have other advantages, like more ROPs or cache? Same 300w tdp though, so not too bad.

Maybe a GPU released purely to **** on NVs cornflakes by stealing the RTX 3090's thunder?

Its main advantage is its £500 cheaper than the equivalent Nvidia card.

Soldato
I think you need to have an amount of vRAM that is appropriate for the GPU that is on the card. Most of the assets you put into your vRAM is something the GPU is working on to produce the next frame and so there's a maximum realistic limit any specific GPU can use. We've seen this with testing on large vRAM cards like the 3090, if you find games which push vRAM above about 8Gb the frame rate becomes unplayable (FS2020, Avengers)

There's a bunch of caveats to this which you need to understand to make those claims credible, primarily that for years we've measured vRAM wrong, we've measured only what the game has requested to be allocated to it, not how much of that vRAM it's actually using and needs. Once you realise games today are barely breaking 5-6Gb for 4k Uttra, 8Gb and 10Gb seem more reasonable.

so you think 10GB is the perfect number for RTX 3080 and that we will never need more in the next coming couple of years with new titles for the new gen of games?
hence AMD have wasted resources packing 16GB into their cards?

Associate
At this point I'd rather they just made headless mining cards for the mining communities to abuse. Its another revenue stream at the end of the day. Albeit another load of manufacturing...

Yeah me too, would make sense for them to funnel off RDNA1 to headless mining cards in all honesty.

Btw just noticed your round the corner from me, im in Rochester :)

G J

G J

Associate
I find it odd that these 2 very seperate companies, manage to create cards, most generations that are near as makes no difference, identical in performance across eachothers stacks. Must be some spies in eachothers company that pass performance data or maybe they just are in cahoots!

AMD's availability on release will be an eye opener if good and maybe point to NVIDIA's jumping the gun on releasing but couldn't deliver enough to capitalize. They must've known what Big Navi could do. Nvidia fluffed it.

Convenient isnt it? I see a nice duopoly going on but it will be intresting to see if any prices change from either side now that the cards are on the table from both sides.

Soldato
So what’s the lowdown? Have AMD brought something competitive to the table?
AMD's rate of improvement, RDNA1 - RDNA2 is great, bodes well for the next generation. They've come further with this launch than Nvidia did from 2000 to 3000 series. It's looking like they are competitive, but in the same way Zen 2 was competitive. They haven't knocked it out of the park like Zen 3 has though.

Man of Honour
AMD's rate of improvement, RDNA1 - RDNA2 is great, bodes well for the next generation. They've come further with this launch than Nvidia did from 2000 to 3000 series. It's looking like they are competitive, but in the same way Zen 2 was competitive. They haven't knocked it out of the park like Zen 3 has though.

Any indication as to what supply will be like? Better than Nvidia?

Associate
The delay of cyberpunk has given me great advantage,I was set on trying pick up 3070 tomorrow, but with how positive AMDs showing was and fact I dont need another GPU for least a month has given me more options

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Any indication as to what supply will be like? Better than Nvidia?

Im only going off the broad statistic of 80% mindshare and the fact some AMD folk have already pre-ordered because they were out for a month already. If 80% have bought or waiting for nvidia that leaves enough to go around for the 20% assuming stock is moving to warehouses right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom