US: **The Walking Dead Season 7 - Contains Spoilers - No future content to be discussed **

Soldato
What didn't you like about the last ep? What made it poor in your opinion?

Eugene, I just do not like the character. Aside from his ability to make bullets I simply do not understand his relevance to the story. Aside from the whole 'I can fix the world' lie/storyline I do not remember him for anything more than his mullet. He is not needed to move the story forwards. Perhaps this will change later this season.

Eugene also seems to have issues with basic social interactions (if he autistic?) and consequently it is hard to relate to him. I simply do not care what happens to him, this tagged alongside his nature as a coward. Its hard to relate to an autistic coward who is supposed to be a good guy.

The only character I can think of having a poorer episode dedicated to him would be Gabriel.

I have been watching TWD since Season 1, and when its good its REALLY good, but IMO they need to cut down episodes such as this. What did we gather from this episode that we didn't already know?

-Eugene is a coward
-Negan's 'wives' dont like him and are there under duress

We knew these ones already.

For some this was a character building episode, for me it was FILLER.

But I feel invested in the world that TWD has created despite not necessarily feeling that towards all of the characters, so I will be back.

Other AAA TV series I have watched have had a lot less filler episodes total than what TWD has in one season.The only poor episode in Breaking Bad that I can think of was the 'fly' episode. This may be an unfair comparison.

Soldato
Because when its good......its really really good.
:):) Same here, I really enjoy it. Yeah, like any series it has the odd slow episode, but generally there is enough going on to keep you coming back. I must be bucking the trend because I quite like Eugene as character, can't make my mind up whether he will turn on the group or has a cunning plan to stab the saviours in the back. Time will tell.

Associate
Is the WD not a very successful show and thus doesn't bring in a lot of money? Because the only reason I can think of for them doing these single character episodes is to save money. Fans have made it clear that a significant amount of them hate it but they never stop.

Caporegime
Given the popularity of the show, I'm sure that they are getting more than enough money.... I like the way that they are focusing on only a few small characters for each episode.

People always seem to forget that the writers etc. never wanted this show to be just about zombies, headshots, brutal deaths etc. They have said every time that it was always going to be about the characters and how they progress through the "apocalypse" with all the challenges they go through, the zombie apocalypse was just a "catalyst" for this character development story, the real focus is on the survivors aka "the walking dead". They also said that if people wanted non stop zombie action that this show wasn't going to be for you, instead to go watch the hundreds of films out there that already do this.

I don't understand why folk watch it if they don't enjoy it?? While I wouldn't count myself as some nerdy fanboy it's one of the shows I tend not to miss. I don't see how people can expect every single episode to be full-on gore or gunfight week after week. Some of the slower character backstory building episodes have been really good. There is always going to be the odd episode that doesn't appeal to your taste, the recent one where Rick meets the "Scavengers" was about the weakest imo. But on the whole it's good entertainment for a hour a week. I don't get all the hate for Eugene, he's awkward, dysfunctional and cowardly. Josh McDermitt, does a great job of playing him, you're supposed to not like him.

Next week looks like the pace is picking up again..;):)

Because people have nothing better to do with their time? :p

Completely agree, I don't want to see zombie action etc. every single episode, it would ruin the show and become another typical zombie flick. Season 2 finale was awful, the constant drive bys with perfect headshots and unlimited ammo.... urgh :o Pretty sure if AMC went that route, it would just be another z nation i.e. a flop.

Also, it should be pretty obvious by now that that zombies are not really a threat anymore, at least not the main threat anyway... they are more of an annoyance.

It is mind boggling though why so many stick with it if they have hated it since season 1, regardless of if there was a good episode every now and then, I would much rather spend my time doing something that I enjoy... i.e. same can apply to games, if a game is crap most of the time with only 10% of it having a good moment every now and then, there is no way am I going to put up with poor quality content 90% of the time.

Heck look at the arrow thread, that has been very poor for many people since season 2 and for some reason, people aren't really posting in there at all now... So either they don't like to complain as much as the WTD community or they have moved on to better things :p

Soldato
Given the popularity of the show, I'm sure that they are getting more than enough money.... I like the way that they are focusing on only a few small characters for each episode.

People always seem to forget that the writers etc. never wanted this show to be just about zombies, headshots, brutal deaths etc. They have said every time that it was always going to be about the characters and how they progress through the "apocalypse" with all the challenges they go through, the zombie apocalypse was just a "catalyst" for this character development story, the real focus is on the survivors aka "the walking dead". They also said that if people wanted non stop zombie action that this show wasn't going to be for you, instead to go watch the hundreds of films out there that already do this.

Because people have nothing better to do with their time? :p

Completely agree, I don't want to see zombie action etc. every single episode, it would ruin the show and become another typical zombie flick. Season 2 finale was awful, the constant drive bys with perfect headshots and unlimited ammo.... urgh :o Pretty sure if AMC went that route, it would just be another z nation i.e. a flop.

Also, it should be pretty obvious by now that that zombies are not really a threat anymore, at least not the main threat anyway... they are more of an annoyance.

It is mind boggling though why so many stick with it if they have hated it since season 1, regardless of if there was a good episode every now and then, I would much rather spend my time doing something that I enjoy... i.e. same can apply to games, if a game is crap most of the time with only 10% of it having a good moment every now and then, there is no way am I going to put up with poor quality content 90% of the time.

Heck look at the arrow thread, that has been very poor for many people since season 2 and for some reason, people aren't really posting in there at all now... So either they don't like to complain as much as the WTD community or they have moved on to better things :p

As a series goes it a good time killer, even with it's flaws :p

I'm of the same opinion the zombie presence has dissolved into an inconvenience rather than a threat. That said I think something may happen with the horde, I think Ricks group may even use it as a weapon in the coming weeks. (Just guessing) I agree I think the show was always intended to be more than a "zombie-gorefest" I think the show has had some strong characters that have changed and adapted to the new world they've found themselves in. Carole for one had gone from a beaten housewife to cold hard killer and is on the verge of breaking because of who's she's become.

The fact that we've seen Negan lay traps and diversions hints that something big may well happen. I read somewhere that while still popular viewing figures have dropped off in series 7.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Thing is though if you are looking for something specific there might not be a lot of other options -you either have nothing or hoping that the show will eventually deliver what you are looking for.

Caporegime
As a series goes it a good time killer, even with it's flaws :p

I'm of the same opinion the zombie presence has dissolved into an inconvenience rather than a threat. That said I think something may happen with the horde, I think Ricks group may even use it as a weapon in the coming weeks. (Just guessing) I agree I think the show was always intended to be more than a "zombie-gorefest" I think the show has had some strong characters that have changed and adapted to the new world they've found themselves in. Carole for one had gone from a beaten housewife to cold hard killer and is on the verge of breaking because of who's she's become.

The fact that we've seen Negan lay traps and diversions hints that something big may well happen. I read somewhere that while still popular viewing figures have dropped off in series 7.

Yup the character development is astonishing, every single character is so different from what they were in season 1 and that is what I love, the transformation hasn't just happened over 1 or 2 episodes but it has happened over 7 seasons worth of content.

I do think a horde of zombies will play a part too as it seems to always be part of the big show downs in some form.

Thing is though if you are looking for something specific there might not be a lot of other options -you either have nothing or hoping that the show will eventually deliver what you are looking for.

There are plenty of options, zombie genre has to be one of the biggest ever, tons of films, tons of games, tons of books, less so TV shows... Although from reading this thread, I think many people would much prefer z nation.

Man of Honour
There are plenty of options, zombie genre has to be one of the biggest ever, tons of films, tons of games, tons of books, less so TV shows... Although from reading this thread, I think many people would much prefer z nation.

Much of which if you are interested in the genre you would have probably already looked at. Look at the interest initially in Fear the Walking Dead - I think there are a lot of people looking for a more immersive experience similar to the opening few episodes of The Walking Dead and what seemed to be the initial premise of FTWD before it went off at a tangent and skipped over a lot of what people were looking for from it. Sure there are plenty of options if you are looking for gory zombie violence or even parody/comic zombie action.

Caporegime
Much of which if you are interested in the genre you would have probably already looked at. Look at the interest initially in Fear the Walking Dead - I think there are a lot of people looking for a more immersive experience similar to the opening few episodes of The Walking Dead and what seemed to be the initial premise of FTWD before it went off at a tangent and skipped over a lot of what people were looking for from it. Sure there are plenty of options if you are looking for gory zombie violence or even parody/comic zombie action.
True, fear the walking dead would have been the perfect side show for those wanting more focus on the zombies when the out break first started but it seems to have already glossed over the zombies and now focusing on the people/groups. Shame as the first few episodes started out really well.

Man of Honour
True, fear the walking dead would have been the perfect side show for those wanting more focus on the zombies when the out break first started but it seems to have already glossed over the zombies and now focusing on the people/groups. Shame as the first few episodes started out really well.

I think I'm either going to have to adjust my expectations or stop watching TWD :( I don't mind the direction it takes in general but I've generally continued watching in the hope of a bit more time spent on some of the exploration and dealing with more physical and practical, etc. challenges involved in surviving like dealing with that oncoming horde while they were trying to disarm and salvage the explosives on the trip wire.

Caporegime
I think I'm either going to have to adjust my expectations or stop watching TWD :( I don't mind the direction it takes in general but I've generally continued watching in the hope of a bit more time spent on some of the exploration and dealing with more physical and practical, etc. challenges involved in surviving like dealing with that oncoming horde while they were trying to disarm and salvage the explosives on the trip wire.
From the sounds of it, I don't think you will enjoy what ever else TWD has to offer tbh:

- hordes aren't a problem for Rick and his group now, especially after them defending alexandria from that massive horde with just their melee weapons for a good chunk of the time (unless it is a massive horde....)
- they won't go exploring, at least nothing exciting like cities as they know the cities are the worst for infected, plus this has already been done a couple of times before and it always ended badly for them

Personally I think once the Negan story line is over (can see this lasting till the end of season 8), the show won't be as good as I just can't see how they will top Negan and his army for threat.

Man of Honour
From the sounds of it, I don't think you will enjoy what ever else TWD has to offer tbh:

- hordes aren't a problem for Rick and his group now, especially after them defending alexandria from that massive horde with just their melee weapons for a good chunk of the time (unless it is a massive horde....)
- they won't go exploring, at least nothing exciting like cities as they know the cities are the worst for infected, plus this has already been done a couple of times before and it always ended badly for them

Personally I think once the Negan story line is over (can see this lasting till the end of season 8), the show won't be as good as I just can't see how they will top Negan and his army for threat.

I actually enjoyed Z Nation for awhile as they covered some aspects of that despite some overall silliness and the comedy (and I'm not against comedy zombie stuff either) but after season 1 it just got progressively more silly/irritating :(

Caporegime
I actually enjoyed Z Nation for awhile as they covered some aspects of that despite some overall silliness and the comedy (and I'm not against comedy zombie stuff either) but after season 1 it just got progressively more silly/irritating :(
Not even bothered watching any of z nation :p Saw clips etc. but not my type of zombie fix tbh.

Soldato

I have to agree, I'm note sure where the series can go without it just becoming repetitive and formulistic post Negan. Up to now it's been a case of meet baddies, defeat baddies and move on, find bigger baddie. However the awareness of other groups had been pretty limited, so the focus has thus-far always come back to Ricks group. Negan is the Uber baddie and it looks like taking him down will a collaboration of as many of the groups that Rick can align and ready for the fight. So once Negan is gone and there are logically several allied groups pulling together where does the next big threat/challenge come from? And will the group become diluted amongst the other groups?
I think the show has missed a trick in making resources too easy to find, no doubt within a episode of two they will be knee deep in guns again having found some not so well hidden stash. Making the environment more of a challenge would have been interesting, seeing them survive a winter might have been interesting or even being forced back into the city.

I briefly dipped my toe into FTWD but it just didn't grip me in the same way, so stopped at watching at the end of the 1st series.

Caporegime
I would definitely like to see how they approach winter for survival and them being pushed back to the city at some point (maybe for a new hope of a cure or some type of safe haven like the one they had in DC for a bit)

I still think that the women group Tara encountered will play a big part in the gun supply.

Back
Top Bottom