The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
You don't need to trust ms, you just need to know what w8 is about. It's a bit silly slating and asking questions. Everyone in this should watch the keynote and not skip through it, the development parts, gives great insight.
So because ms had issues with vista, that must mean w7 failed and w8 will be the same.

Man of Honour
How many of you are online account registration vs local accounts.

I'm wondering if the online accounts are portable as in Joli OS

What do you mean portable?

You can if you wish sync pretty much everything, including apps. So all comps you log onto are identical, or you can disable some or all sections.

The recovery system has changed as well and is really nice.

Soldato
All the sharing between apps for a start and being able to select stuff from the cloud and uploading it to what ever you are doing in a simple click.
The whole side by side thing would be meda useful, ok you can do that now, but no where near as slick.

Exactly the answer that I was looking for ... Posting via Win 8 btw - Now running natively :eek:

Soldato
You don't need to trust ms, you just need to know what w8 is about. It's a bit silly slating and asking questions. Everyone in this should watch the keynote and not skip through it, the development parts, gives great insight.
So because ms had issues with vista, that must mean w7 failed and w8 will be the same.

The multi-monitor taskbar is enough reason to upgrade.

Can't wait to have Metro running on a 3rd monitor. With my 1st and 2nd monitors for running desktop apps. I fully suspect that, over time, the Metro monitor will get used more and more as the apps that I want (or don't know that I want yet) become available and popular.

Last edited:
Soldato
The multi-monitor taskbar is enough reason to upgrade.

Can't wait to have Metro running on a 3rd monitor. With my 1st and 2nd monitors for running desktop apps. I fully suspect that, over time, the Metro monitor will get used more and more as the apps that I want (or don't know that I want yet) become available and popular.

Yeah what's the deal with this - Windows 8 just recognised my hacked up triple display setup with gtx 460 + 8400gs :eek:. I didn't have to do anything other than order the displays. Under windows 7 I hacked them together with ultramon

Apparently the drivers are from 20/7/11 Signed Nvidia 8.17.12.7574 - I'm running metro on the primary

EDIT : OHHHHhhhh ******* cool ! Just toggle the windows button and it moves metro to that display :)

Caporegime
Hmmm... I was thinking of waiting til they had an ARM preview out but now... Any chance this will work in VM on a machine with 2GB of ram...:(

Caporegime
Don't do it ... It almost killed me.

Maybe I'll run it on the second partition of my Laptop then... I don't think there is any irreplaceable data on it...:eek:

I take it installing it onto a second partition won't delete anything on it (as long as I don't format it anyway) and it should be fine?

Associate
OP
Anyone yet tried this on some REALLY old hardware? Maybe something with 512MB and single core? Hows the memory usage? SCREENSHOTS PEOPLE :)

I wont be able to test it for a few hours yet.

Soldato
Going to give this a try I think, looking at the info on Engadget it looks like it really could be fantastic.

One thing I like about Apple kit is that they all sync well together with the Mac, iPad and iPhone. Hopefully by the time Windows 8 comes out the phone OS wil be in a suitable place to allow the same kind of functionality.

Exciting times.

Soldato
Exciting times.

Indeed. They're basically doing a platform reset on Windows.

There are literally thousands of applications that need to be written again as Metro apps. There is A LOT of "new money" to be made in shareware over the next few years.

It could be the right time for some software developers to pack in their day jobs and set up a business that produces Metro apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom