The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Won't install, gets to 84% then freezes.
tried taking out my TV card, same thing 90% freeze
tried on ssd and a sata2 mechanical drive 80% freeze
tried running from in windows 7 84% freeze rolled back to win 7
At least I've got a nice new coaster for my coffee now :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Sweet.
West coast customs and www.viper.com have teamed up to show off windows8 and cloud computing.

There building a 2012 mustang with a ~1970 mustang body on. Augmented reality Heads up display and a host of other computer stuff all on the cloud. Coming to discovery channel in december.

Soldato
Yep, also shooting them in the foot when it is released, it is clearly the future and if people spent a bit of time watching yesterdays keynotes, would understand why. Disable that and within a few years you'll be missing out on pretty much everything.

Exactly... all the OSs / shells are gearing towards simplicity and search - google voice recognition is already fast and accurate so with a very simple metro app you'll be launching apps by voice.

WRT the UI they can't all be wrong can they ? - Note the similarities

- Gnome shell

- Joli OS

- Windows 8

- That crappy unity thing in ubuntu

People don't need to see the admin tools for an OS anymore - It's all about ease of use, speed and productivity. If you can't see this then maybe you're getting too old ;) . However give it to a 5 year old ipad / android user and they'll take to it like fish to water.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
my main problem is the start thingy doesn't always show when hovering the mouse in the bottom left meaning i can't seem to get out of the app (such as weather or news feeds). only frantic double clicking around the left edge at least gets me back to the desktop. also in the weather app, trying to add/delete cities was very unresponsive although that might just be an app thing?? :confused:

Nope, works fine always shows. Just take mouse to bottom corner and keep going of the screen.

Caporegime
Well, I've just given win8 a quick go and I've got mixed feelings about it so far.

There are some nice touches about the Metro UI, but with some stuff still using the old layout (e.g. system settings) it feels like the OS has a split personality. Also, there are elements in the metro UI that seem to imply that there was an assumption that the device it is installed on has multi-touch capabilities. This is all well and good as far as phones and tablets are concerned, but for desktops it's not a valid assumption.

In my day job as a software developer I can still see the metro UI becoming very annoying compared to the old style start menu, so I hope that there will be a more user friendly way to disable the metro interface than a registry hack or renaming a dll.

I'm guessing it will be a case of a click box at install saying yes or no to being installed on a touch device. No turns most of the features off by default with the ability to turn them on in settings...

Associate
Assuming it's still possible on the RTM I'll be turning Metro off. All Windows is to me is a file manager and a way of playing Team Fortress 2 :p

Soldato
It really feels like this is a transitional OS from traditional start menu desktop to the new Metro UI. I think the start menu desktop will become obsolete in the next couple windows releases. :o

Soldato
Wow, so glad I only installed it on a VM, that metro interface is a pain. If I wanted a 24" tablet PC i'd damn well ask for one. Like a post a few above, Win is only a file manager, it's gaming etc i'm interested in, not stocks, puzzles and apps. I've got an Android for that.

i'm going to get a bit of stick for this, but i'd rather run Vista or ME than WDP

Soldato
Got it installed on my PC now. First thoughts:

-Install procedure was speedy and painless.
-System set-up was fantastic. Much improved over previous versions.
-Metro is confusing and now all that intuitive with a keyboard and mouse. I was expecting to like it, but it loaded up and I was like ...what now?
-The Metro-fied IE10 is nice. I like the simplicity.

I've not really tried much out yet. Only had it running for like 5 minutes.

Man of Honour
i'm going to get a bit of stick for this, but i'd rather run Vista or ME than WDP

yes, yes you are. Especially as you haven't taken the time to fins out what w8 does. With all the integration with web services and between apps themselves.

Metro is just dynamic icons, what's wrong with that? It's an improvement. Also once apps are updated to be metro it won't keep switching to desktop.

It does take a bit of getting use to, but after an hour I can already use metro and many of the initial annoyances have gone. Because most of them are nothing other than not knowing what to do.

Soldato
Wow, so glad I only installed it on a VM, that metro interface is a pain. If I wanted a 24" tablet PC i'd damn well ask for one. Like a post a few above, Win is only a file manager, it's gaming etc i'm interested in, not stocks, puzzles and apps. I've got an Android for that.

Turn Metro off? Surely it's better than Vista or ME once that's done?

Soldato
Been using it for several hours and I hope they improve on it big time because at the moment it feels like im running a giant windows phone and it not good.

I wanted to like metro and it just doesn't work well with a mouse. Getting sick of everything being orientated for touch stuff these days

Associate
tried it for a bit using a hybrid laptop/tablet. I don't know weather its cause I'm sick with flu or what but this thing needs instructions lol. I will get used to it though like I did with vista and win 7 and will have a proper go with it when I'm 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom