The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Anyone running it in VirtualBox having trouble getting internet access? Do I need to mess about with the adaptor settings? All my other VMs seem to work fine (XP, SuSE etc.)

Soldato
Quite looking forward to running this.

I'll be installing it to a blank drive so it doesn't interfere with my existing and solid build...

But for me it seems to make double sense (May need to explain)....

Having a 23in Touchscreen monitor, I'm interested to see if I can use the system as a massive tablet!

kd

Soldato
Surely you'll be able to remove the metro stuff with group policy in a corporate environment

MW

Metro can be (mostly) disabled using a Registry key change.

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/09/15/windows-8-start-menu-toggle-disable-enable-metro-ui/

Anyone running it in VirtualBox having trouble getting internet access? Do I need to mess about with the adaptor settings? All my other VMs seem to work fine (XP, SuSE etc.)

I am running Windows 8 Developer Preview 64-bit with VirtualBox with a bridged network adapter and it can connect to the Internet fine.

Associate
Well after a few hours and finding the right hard disk controller settings for VirtualBox I have 8 up and running.

Dont like metro think it should be an option. I can see why people would like and the need for it but it's not for me. The reg key fix works and much happier using it now.

Soldato
Why disable Metro when the entire purpose of this Developer Preview release is to showcase the Metro technology and allow developers to start getting up to speed with it?

This isn't a Windows 8 beta. It's a demo of a very particular piece of the Windows 8 story.

The Windows "desktop" isn't going anywhere.

Soldato
Won't install for me - says some required files are missing :(

I had that issue. Are you installing it on VirtualBox?

I've just installed mine, after a bit of faffing and I'm quite impressed with it. It's a bit strange transitioning between desktop and Metro, but it's nice and clear. The UI generally looks simpler, more pleasant, and easier to use.

A couple of nice changes I've noticed is the task manager (and the detailed view), and how much screen space there is when you're using IE!

Soldato
Ok, have now almost finished watching the Keynote speech (yes all of it :O)

I must say there are some features that seem fantastic, and others that seem like they've been due for a long time, but it's nice to see Microsoft finally integrating it.

Not too sure I like all the Windows Live features....

kd

Soldato
hi guys

dont have time to read 12 pages,

downloading now, will shrink the main partition in my laptop with win7, is it possible dual boot? also how easy to restore win7 MBR if i need or want to remove win8?

cheers

Associate
OP
downloading now, will shrink the main partition in my laptop with win7, is it possible dual boot? also how easy to restore win7 MBR if i need or want to remove win8?

cheers

I would try installing Win 8 on a virtual HDD. As someone posted before. It's pretty easy to create a VHD in Win 7 (but way easier in Win 8).

Already have Win 8 running on a super old laptop but i'll be trying the above for my main rig. It's safer and a VHD is easy to remove.

Last edited:
Soldato
just playing about win8, looks very good so far! i like it :)

installed hyper-v and it asks to connect server..........errrr what server? how to add/install guest within hyper-v?

thanks

Soldato
just playing about win8, looks very good so far! i like it :)

installed hyper-v and it asks to connect server..........errrr what server? how to add/install guest within hyper-v?

thanks

I had a brief look at this last night and it looks like being the client tools only.

Wikipedia says

" The system requirements for Hyper-V are a 64-bit processor, a 64-bit version of Windows 8, and a minimum of 4 GB of RAM. Hyper-V also requires a 64-bit system that has Second Level Address Translation (SLAT), a feature that helps with memory management. "

I'm running 2gig at the moment due to an RMA :rolleyes:

BTW How much RAM do you have ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom