The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm giving this another go in vmware and i can't believe how damn quick it is even though i only have 1GB of ram assigned to it. my pc is pretty crap by todays standards and when i've tried virtualising vista/7 in the past they were pretty damned unusable but this is running very well.

using keyboard shortcuts for metro is an absolute must. using a mouse is crap and is what caused me to get frustrated and delete my VM the other day. check the windows 8 user thread for them.

Probably been posted earlier, but have you seen the proposed new BSoD?

04583124-photo-bsod-windows-8.jpg

I'm running natively. Is anyone else finding that it won't restart. I just get a green screen with the restarting message but nothing happens. This is running natively on both my desktop and laptop.

Probably been posted earlier, but have you seen the proposed new BSoD?
It's been posted about 4 times now and it's even in my original thread post :p

Btw i've updated that post with loads of new Win 8 features but no one ever seems to read it judging from many posts in this thread...

i'm giving this another go in vmware and i can't believe how damn quick it is even though i only have 1GB of ram assigned to it. my pc is pretty crap by todays standards and when i've tried virtualising vista/7 in the past they were pretty damned unusable but this is running very well.

Much ancient legacy code was removed in Win 8, and they optimised the kernel and core parts of the OS a lot for all the less powerful tablet devices it will be running on. I think it might actually run better than XP did on my super old laptop... thats pretty crazy. Definitely runs better than Win7 on old hardware.

Much ancient legacy code was removed in Win 8.

May I ask where this is coming from? Because they can't have removed that much and still claim what will run on Windows 7 will run on Windows 8. (this may be true for the ARM version however) Honest question - if you can link to a source it would be appreciated.

Also, I'm surprised there isn't more talk (it's not on the top post anyway unless my eyes are going) about Windows to Go i.e. running Windows 8 from a USB stick. This is asked about quite often on this forum and will be a great feature, although it sounds like it might only make it in the Pro or even Enterprise versions.

May I ask where this is coming from? Because they can't have removed that much and still claim what will run on Windows 7 will run on Windows 8.

A lot of changes have been made under the hood. So API's are now written in C++ and run natively.

Most people involved in windows application development are impressed by what is available to developers via VS2011, Windows 8 server, Azure, Social Connectivity and the new API's.

But before jumping in with both feet, you MUST watch the keynotes on channel9.msdn.com select Events-> Build.

In the keynote from day 2 it was announced that Viper and the Guys from west coast custom are teaming up to build a fully connected "Windows" car. Should be on the discovery channel around December.

Last edited:
May I ask where this is coming from? Because they can't have removed that much and still claim what will run on Windows 7 will run on Windows 8. (this may be true for the ARM version however) Honest question - if you can link to a source it would be appreciated.
Theres a article here but you can find a few around if you google.
On top of what that article mentions, from what i can make out there was also still some stuff in there from Windows 98 and earlier days, which also seems to have been removed, finally. And a lot of support for 1990's era hardware that no longer exists. If something does not work though then now that Hyper-V is included with Win 8 it can pretty much run anything from any Windows version.

Also, I'm surprised there isn't more talk (it's not on the top post anyway unless my eyes are going) about Windows to Go i.e. running Windows 8 from a USB stick. This is asked about quite often on this forum and will be a great feature, although it sounds like it might only make it in the Pro or even Enterprise versions.
To be honest i've not even heard anything about this... i'll look in to it and add it to my first post if i can find enough details on it.

OUSH - Windows 8 is ugly, Microsoft think that people will be going all in one touch pc's at home. Its basically a pc version of a phone OS. It looks horrible. Perhaps it might be quicker to find things, but I don't have an issue with short cuts?

Open letter to Microsoft:

Vista was fat and slow, Windows 7 is a trimmed but stable version. Stop working on messing about worrying about Apple and trying to be like them with your app crap.

What I want microsoft to do is make an amazing streamlined OS that if fully customisable, with "profiles" that will enable or disable software, drivers, hardware for different modes to enable better performance, e.g Gaming, Word, Web, Media.

Make it stable, make it amazing. Personal Rant Over, LOL

Some more on Windows to Go

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/HW-245T

Regarding getting rid of the legacy stuff, I'm hoping it's covered in one of the sessions in some detail. I'm not refuting that things have been reorganised, re-written and a few small parts thrown out but it's a phrase banded about at every new Windows release and yet the specifics are always a little fuzzy.

ok after a couple of days of use I can now give some real impressions

I like it ,its fast it looks good (subjective I know) and its quite easy to use
the only in consistent I have found so far is that I can't get the virtual keyboard up for any text boxes that arnt native windows apps ie google chrome
whereas on 7 the virtual keyboard (or handwriting) could be used in any text box
also how do you change your weather settings its nice to see that California is nice and sunny but I want to know what the weather is going to be like near me tomorrow

one question has Microsoft got around the whole European anti competitive thing because they are talking about building in a lot more in this windows then any other in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom