The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried the VM step by step guide, this time I managed to install it but after signing in with my Live account it wouldn't go past a blank green screen.

The lack of Flash on Metro IE10 is a massive fail. I've just updated my original thread post with this and i'll just paste what i said there...

Apparently this is to help with security (even though HTML5 has more than enough security holes), but apparently is also to help battery life. Even when HTML5 animations and video can often use MORE CPU usage than the equivalent thing done in Flash. And Flash's 10.2 Stage Video feature has the best in class video hardware acceleration. I know this for a fact as i've been developing with Flash for a decade and HTML5 for 2+ years.
You can always switch to the desktop and use any normal browser with plugins, but on a mobile touch device this isn't ideal.

As for Flash not supporting touch as NathanE said... wot?! Too much Apple koolaid? It's always supported touch, since the 90's! But like with ANYTHING it's up to the developer to actually make there site/game/app/whatever work well with touch. Some Android apps are actually Flash.
BTW the top selling game on Apples App Store at the moment (Machinarium) was made in Flash... how ironic is that? LOL.

Theres also still a ton of things that HTML5 cant do that Flash can. Flash also gets yearly updates so will always remain ahead (there was over a decade from HTML4 to HTML5 and it's still not finished).

Flash Player 11 has access to DirectX and OpenGL enabling console level graphics (see below).
I actually think this is a big reason why MS are not allowing Flash on Metro IE.... why pay for a Metro App on the new store, when you can play a free Flash game with the level of graphics (or better) as in the below video. Anything DirextX graphics can do Flash can now do.

Last edited:
Anyone know any wesites that actually use HTML5?

I tried Youtube as already mentioned and it doesn't actually load the video, just the player...

I'm trying to install it on Virtualbox (latest version 4.1.2) but it only gets as far as 1-2% expanding Windows files before the mouse stops responding. Although the "..." continue to move on the screen and I can still see changes in CPU and memory usage like it's still doing something.

MW

Vimeo uses it, but fullscreen doesn't work.

The couch mode works but videos embedded into the normal pages don't show up for me.

OK that link didn't work due to being a playlist ...

This works perfectly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ddkBe3OORI&feature=BFa&html5=True

Nope, neither link works properly. It shows the player and just shows the round loading bar within it rather than the video.

Maybe it's just my machine but this experience with HTML5 is just as bad as all the other experiences I've had with it. It may be the future but it certainly isn't the present!

If you've ever used apple devices. There are loads of sites that have removed flash and YouTube works fine without it. So must just be your machine.

Actually more likely YouTube website recognises the browser as standard IE and as such doesn't autamticaly load the non flash version.

Have they actually said it won't ship with flash in metro?
I can't see how they can stop a hack, or more likely a metro version of FireFox or any other browser which supports flash.

Last edited:
metro is such a cheesy name for a cheesy interface.

"oh look i can run two things at once" well done microsoft, this is the sort of innovation we look forward to.

Reminds me of those crappy flash websites that take forever to load and you end up just looking for the standard version.

I think that the square tile interface looks crap. The whole idea is terrible imo.

Last edited:
"oh look i can run two things at once" well done microsoft, this is the sort of innovation we look forward to.

:rolleyes: What other major tablet or mobile OS lets you do two things at once on screen? Answer: none.

Most of them dont even support proper multitasking.

OK, i'll bite.

metro is such a cheesy name for a cheesy interface.

Indeed, Springboard sounds much better :rolleyes:

I know this was sarcastic, but considering no other tablet OS can do this, it genuinely is an innovation which lots of people are looking forward to.

Reminds me of those crappy flash websites that take forever to load and you end up just looking for the standard version.

Windows 8 is one of the fastest loading operating systems available.

I think that the square tile interface looks crap. The whole idea is terrible imo.

Well looks are obviously subjective, but most people think it looks good. So obviously Microsoft are gonna cater to the masses.

Edit:

So far windows 8 has not even impressed me, in fact it has annoyed me more than anything else. It actually looks terrible, a massive step backwards.

Lol, they haven't taken anything out of Win 8, just improved existing stuff and added new stuff. How can it possibly be a step backwards :confused:

Last edited:
TBH lack of flash isn't a big problem for me, can't be too long before chrome and firefox are both on metro, with flash. And with windows being open, theres nothing microsoft can do about this.

OK, i'll bite.

Indeed, Springboard sounds much better :rolleyes:

I know this was sarcastic, but considering no other tablet OS can do this, it genuinely is an innovation which lots of people are looking forward to.

Windows 8 is one of the fastest loading operating systems available.

Well looks are obviously subjective, but most people think it looks good. So obviously Microsoft are gonna cater to the masses.

Edit:

Lol, they haven't taken anything out of Win 8, just improved existing stuff and added new stuff. How can it possibly be a step backwards :confused:

springboard? metro is just a lame name for anything on a pc, especially a new ui in the worlds most used OS.

I am pretty sure that android can run multiple applications at the same time, and i know that the blackberry tablet os can as i have used it myself.

My windows 7 loads pretty much instantly, loading times is realy not an issue with windows 7 anyway, not something i would say is a big selling point. oh windows started in 7 seconds instead of 9, big deal.

Apparently "the masses" like big squares and lame ui. microsoft has been making their OS so idiot proof that at some point i would be surprised if it has any advanced features available. I certainly do not want to learn html5 to be able to configure my OS.

IT is a step backwards because it is not a step forwards.

IT is a step backwards because it is not a step forwards.

Wrong. The technology and engine has been upgraded.

The interface has been upgraded so that even a 5 year old can use it.

Who gives a **** what a 30-40 year old thinks as being a step forward or backward. Their opinion really doesn't count, they can either adapt or go extinct ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom