The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
List of things I would like to see in windows 8.

1) dual monitor support for the new gadget interface. Be able to force the interface on to a second monitor.
2) have the normal start menu on the desktop and find another way to access the new gadget interface.
3) add full window transparency with a modifiable opacity.

explorer improvements.
1) tree view scroll on move over, instead of having to click in to the tree view and scroll. major annoyance.
2) ability to have dual file lists and not tree view and file list. That support copying between dual file lists.
3) drive selection bar or drop down of some kind. could be a drive tab on the new toolbar even. But i would prefer that on its own bar.
4) privilege escalation for copying and moving and renaming and deleting files.
5) ability to hide all aspect of the tree view that you do not want.
6) add ability to specify where you want filelist to open at, not always libraries.
7) remember last location when opening option.

open save dialogs
1) ability to set the default window size and view options for all applications open and save dialogs, improve the open and save dialogs.

Last edited:
Well we have been running Win8 on a tablet at work, one of the View sonic ones that ran Windows 7. Its funny cause the OS boots so fast now that the post for the device from a cold start is the slow part now lol.

So far I'm impressed from the Metro interface, yet to see in regards to OS.

I would really like to do away with carrying laptops around with me at work, a slate would be ideal for carrying around Comm cabinets, Server rooms and such due the lighter nature and no need for a flat surface to put a laptop down on.

So Win8 + Tablet is ideal

Mind you I think MS might have to drop the price of Win 8 like Win 7 for me to pay for the upgrade cause I'm find it hard to find a reason to upgrade so far.

Anyone else running Win 8 on actual hardware and not virtualized? Even on slower stuff it seems to be booting extremely fast. But the fast boot times dont really seem to work when it's virtualized.
I've had it boot in seconds on a 6+ year old laptop, yet on my hex-core system with 24GB RAM and SSD's with it virtualized it's nowhere near as quick.

Yep running it, main os. Hasn't crashed once and so far only one issue, but that's yahoo mail doesn't properly in IE10. Other than all software and games I've installed work fine.

Certainly boots fast which is nice.

As for upgrading I think people will change there minds when you realise how many new APIs are included and how this is going to change the way apps work. ATM you don't really notice it as apart from the couple of trial apps included there's nothing built for w8 yet.

I can't get Win 8 to work on mine. I have Windows 7 Ultimate. :(

I have tried the following;

- Created a 60gb VHD and launched Win8 set up from a booted USB. Set up launches and I can attach my VHD and see/select it from the "install to" in set up. I then get the error 8030002 Windows unable to install to selected location. There is plenty of free space on the drive the VHD is located.

- Used VMWare 8 to create an instance. Used "Other OS" for Win8 and 5gb ram. Set up starts and completes, then when it says "preparing for use" it reboots the instance. This then repeats itself.

Any ideas?

- Created a 60gb VHD and launched Win8 set up from a booted USB. Set up launches and I can attach my VHD and see/select it from the "install to" in set up. I then get the error 8030002 Windows unable to install to selected location. There is plenty of free space on the drive the VHD is located.
One of the guides to use a VHD did mention that you would get a message to say that you can't install to the VHD but to ignore it and click continue, is this possible?

http://blog.concurrency.com/infrastructure/dual-boot-windows-8-from-vhd-using-windows-setup/

One of the guides to use a VHD did mention that you would get a message to say that you can't install to the VHD but to ignore it and click continue, is this possible?

http://blog.concurrency.com/infrastructure/dual-boot-windows-8-from-vhd-using-windows-setup/

Nope thats a different thing. Thats just a warning you mention. My error is one thats blocks me from continuing the install :(

I installed this last night in VM Workstation.

Thinking about installing it alongside my W7.

Do i just install as i normally would eg make a partition and then burn ISO to DVD and then install that way?

I think VHDs are the best way of dual booting beta OS's if using Windows 7 Ultimate. You don't have to bother messing around with partitions and drives.

Providing you can get the windows setup to work with the VHD properly unlike mine :(

The metro UI needs to be able to be dragged left and right with the mouse like you would do with your finger on a tablet. Having to use the scroll bar is a little frustrating.

Also I don't like the way it made me login with my Windows live account. Had to go into the control panel and change it to local logon and create a new username and password.

MW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom