The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what an API is. WinRT is the api for windows8 and metro is just the new imac copy interface layer that sits on top of windows.

but from what i understand most of the new api features are with regards to the new metro ui and not many new features regarding old style applications.

Face palm for everything. I think you should change jobs.
So file access and info sharing between apps, has no use in desktop apps. Dear god, please just stop.

Last edited:
They should ask blizzard to design the UI. The at least it would be appealing to look. With some cool textures.

It will also have a 100% CPU impact for something is 7 years old and also every now and again suggest that you can't use certain features because you haven't got the achivement to use them. It will also duplicate every icon it can for different things.

:)

M.

I have watched them acidhell and i have used windows 8 for a few days now and this is my conclusion. All sales talk from ms trying to push their new api.

Not surprising, considering that this was a conference targetted at developers.

big deal, the api is not so bad but it is not going to be used for real applications. it is going to be used for bs like angry birds games and some lame rss feed news app etc.

Do you not consider Internet Explorer to be a 'real application'?

I would have thought that Photoshop would work quite well in Metro. Convert the menus to a ribbon, allow sliding panels for things like the palette and layers, allow dual-touch for region selections etc and allow touchscreen drawing and you are halfway there.

I got thinking today about how Microsoft may tie Metro up the recently released Kinect API for the PC. Considering how unwieldy desktop touchscreen monitors can be, Kinect may be a possible solution.

Ok, I just don't get it...

As an OS for tablets, this actually makes a lot of sense. Its what the iPad should have been, the power of a full OS with a UI optimised for a tablet.

However, is this really designed to replace Windows 7 on desktop PCs too :confused:

Running this native with an SSD is just sick! There is definitely a lot to learn though. I can't figure out how to do a basic "Run" line without going through Task Manager. Customisation of the desktop in the Metro UI seems a little tricky right now... right-click just doesn't behave like I'm used to. But it is all part of the learning process.

I'm hoping my mate (who is computer dumb and keeps nuking his own PC doing stupid stuff) can actually use the Metro UI. I'm tired of rebuilding his PC every 3 months. :p

This OS has serious potential. :D

Ok, I just don't get it...

As an OS for tablets, this actually makes a lot of sense. Its what the iPad should have been, the power of a full OS with a UI optimised for a tablet.

However, is this really designed to replace Windows 7 on desktop PCs too :confused:

Desktop PCs in the future will increasingly be nothing more than a 17inch or larger screen tucked away in the corner of a room. There will be no huge tower box under a desk. It will be packaged in the same way as an iMac.

It costs a screen manufacturer barely $5 to add a touch sensitive film into the LCD with a controller. Soon every screen will have touch capability.

It will be the sort of setup where the keyboard and mouse are tucked away in a drawer, only to be used once in a blue moon!

Try to remember that consumer PCs tend to not be used for much more than web surfing, e-mail and photo collection browsing/editing. All of these things can be delivered by Metro and with a much better experience.

Even "big gaming apps" is a rarity now. Most people have moved to the Xbox.

The only downside with touch on the desktop is fingerprints. Give it another 10 years though and there will be a nanoparticle coating to prevent that.

The PC as we know it is changing. More and more PCs in the coming years will be in the "tablet" form factor. With docking stations that, when docked, instantly hook up 3 huge monitors, a proper keyboard and mouse. So even "big app" professionals, like Photoshop, Visual Studio etc, don't need to feel entirely left out.

Last edited:
yeah must have had a big impact on piracy too, I'll be keeping an eye out for the pre-order bargains again - £45 for a full retail OS! Get in :)

I hope this is the case. I bought 4 retails for 50 quid last time.

Although I hope they have a better way of selling them.

I couldn't buy them legally here in Belgium and had to get them shipped to my parents in the UK... :(

Coming back to the point about Photoshop, after thinking about it. I actually think this would be one "big app" to hugely benefit from touch. It just needs innovation, and a willingness by Adobe to change. Of course, if Adobe don't do the necessary innovation and change, then somebody else will and they will lose their market power for image editing software. That is how big this new era is. Products that are the hero today, could well be the zero in the new Metro era of Windows software.

You really want to have to keep your arm in the air to mess about with your touch enabled monitor? Sounds like no future to me.

Think more along the lines of:

1. sit down at desk

2. place tablet PC into a docking pad which lays flat on the table. Tablet PC optionally doubles up as your "keyboard", if you either don't have one, the one available looks a bit "scummy" (i.e. you're hot desking) or you just don't do enough typing to warrant using a real one.

3. two or three large monitors come to life after docking, with a Windows desktop on them (not Metro). One monitor perhaps has a higher resolution clone of what the tablet screen is showing.

4. use the tablet to access your Metro apps, surf the web, check e-mail etc.

5. use the mouse to use your CAD / Photoshop / Visual Studio etc big apps.

This sounds like the future to me. Can't wait TBH?

I'd argue the tablet would need to be at an incline if you actually wanted to see the content on it unless you like craning your neck over it.

Also you didn't mention how the touch enabled monitor gets used touch wise.

I tested Windows 8 on my netbook, I know its marketed as the "developer version" but I expected it to be a little more polished that this. It's not usable at all, far too slow and jerky. I would expect a little more from Microsoft, given that Apple iOS betas are far more stable (Don't give me **** about the difference of building a mobile OS to a desktop OS either)

Also you didn't mention how the touch enabled monitor gets used touch wise.

I think touch enabled desktop monitors will be popular in the living room. At least, in living rooms where every family member doesn't just have their own tablet PC anyway...

Still struggling to think of use-cases for professionals/workstation environments though.

I think touch enabled desktop monitors will be popular in the living room. At least, in living rooms where every family member doesn't just have their own tablet PC anyway...

Still struggling to think of use-cases for professionals/workstation environments though.

The touch enabled desktop monitor in the living room will not take off because the remote solved the problem of getting up each and every time to change a channel or adjust the volume. Obviously there are many other cool things that can be done but again people don't want the hassle of going to the other side of the room to do it.

The only problem with the remote is the level of abstraction it creates between you and the screen. I imagine this is why the latest Apple TV doesn't have apps yet despite the findings in the OS that suggest it's coming.

It'd be a hard sell to get people to move up to the screen again when theyve been accustomed to using a remote control for so long.

It's like 3D TV where glasses are needed. Nobody in the real world likes or uses that stuff. It's really more proof of concept than something with mass market appeal.

Last edited:
And that is exactly why the Tablet PC is the form factor of the future. Laziness and minimalism.

People view that "dusty old PC in the corner of the living room that is always slow and goes wrong" to be a necessary annoyance.

A tablet PC that has a strictly policed software ecosystem much like the iPad's is just inevitable now, for the consumer Windows PC. It's what people want.

PS: Microsoft has confirmed now that Windows 8 tablets will be almost entirely ARM CPUs only. You can see where this is going :) Market segmentation for the win.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom