The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The error codes will almost certainly be configurable either in some nether region of the Control Panel or by a registry hack.

Failing that, there is always the Minidump that will of course still have the full traditional output.

more moaning...

I think people will change there minds when you realise how many new APIs are included and how this is going to change the way apps work.

Famous words, makes a note of this for later.

Windows 8 new gadget interface is not going to replace "applications" with "apps". This new interface is not a replacement for the old windows applications, it is only a layer on top of windows, that can run gadgets like weather and news apps etc. How long before we see an actual real application in this new interface ? years ? Most applications will be forced to make shortcuts within the new interface, unless they change the way it is at the moment.

That is why i said it is a real step backwards. Great example, why won't they create a visual basic programming application within the new API. What about their new application called blend, why is that not made within the new API and interface ? because it is for apps and gadgets, not applications. The sooner you accept this, i won't have to point it out anymore. :D

You're right it's not for "big apps" like Photoshop, Visual Studio etc. Yet. A couple of the Build conference sessions indicated this, so this isn't just points of view.

However, in years to come, Metro very well could be used for "big apps" as well. It makes sense to deliver what is needed for small apps first. Then see how things innovate over the next few years with regard to delivering "big apps" through Metro. Everyone is still trying to figure out the best ways to implement touch-first user interfaces. So it makes sense to start small first.

I would not completely write off the concept of "big apps" in Metro yet. Microsoft has huge potential to spring some surprises here. More so than any other player in the tablet market. Apple is fundamentally crippled in this area due to their decision to use iOS on the iPad.

Make no mistake, Metro is not just a "layer" on top of Windows. It is deeply integrated into Windows at all levels. Traditional Explorer is, of course, still there. But it is totally conceivable that there will be different SKUs of Windows 8 that do not actually include the traditional Explorer desktop.

Windows 8 and Metro is Microsoft's formal response to such things as iOS, Android and the rumoured Chrome OS and Amazon Tablet PC. It was a comprehensive and impressive response and it has actually highlighted just how little Microsoft's key rivals know about the software production business.

Last edited:
The way I see it is that starting with Windows 8 Metro will be for consumers and Explorer will be for content producers, and this gap will only grow with time.

groen, you do realise app means application. Do you also realise APIs work In all of windows and not just metro interface. Now you have learnt that. These APIs can be integrated into all applications, making it easier to do stuff, especially as cloud storage is taking off. I think these are a far greater reach than we've seen in prevues windows and as such will be jumped on faster. But of course big apps, take longer to build. But that doesn't mean they won't be.

The app store for example will include all apps, including the big applications. But if you had bothered watching key toes you would know. Why do you keep debating when you have zero idea what your talking about, it's annoying.

Last edited:
I have watched them acidhell and i have used windows 8 for a few days now and this is my conclusion. All sales talk from ms trying to push their new api. big deal, the api is not so bad but it is not going to be used for real applications. it is going to be used for bs like angry birds games and some lame rss feed news app etc. Which i am sure will compete with mac and make some developers happy selling cheapass apps in the easiest api. But from an IT user perspective, i do not have the time to mess around with this lame ui. From an it support perspective, i am thinking of changing careers if i have to support this garbage. become a mechanic or something.. :(

Don't expect anything significantly better than the normal windows apps for a very long time within this new api.

I also have my reservations against the new ui. I do not think it looks nice. I think it looks too smooth and unfinished and the fonts are terrible. But that is just my opinion.

I know what an API is. WinRT is the api for windows8 and metro is just the new imac copy interface layer that sits on top of windows.

but from what i understand most of the new api features are with regards to the new metro ui and not many new features regarding old style applications.

Last edited:
I know what an API is. WinRT is the api for windows8 and metro is just the new imac copy interface layer that sits on top of windows.

pmsl, metro a) does not sit on top of windows and is actually very heavily integrated into windows and b) what do imacs have to do with this? i have literally no idea...

anywayyyyyy, ***** just posted this

http://mobile-device.biz/content/item.php?item=31824

personally I think microsoft has had the edge in dev tools for a while now, visual studio is much better than eclipse/android sdk, and while xcode isn't bad, its just not particularly good either (and yes i have used all three). plus being able to use web languages (html/xhtml/css/javascript) is a big plus to anyone whos not a c#/c++ dev.

Edit: ocuk, why you sensor name, it's not even a competitor :confused:

Last edited:
personally I think microsoft has had the edge in dev tools for a while now

They always have had the lead. Ever since about 1993 when Visual Basic 3 hit the big time. And Visual C++ 6 was the milestone where they started taking big leaps past Borland's offerings. VS .NET was a hit from day one, also. Every year that passes, .NET adds another light year on its distance in front of Java. Java is practically a joke now in the .NET community. They're *still* fussing about over delivering lambdas and closures to their antiquated compiler. It's hilarious.

Microsoft puts the developers first in everything they do. That's why Windows 8 is going to hit the big time.

Xcode is just an utter utter joke compared to how much effort Microsoft put in for their developers. And I don't know anyone familiar with Visual Studio that would rate Eclipse.

Last edited:
Please stop groen. Please.

picard-facepalm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom