The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You initally said the touch enabled desktop monitor would be popular in the living room, then as I state people don't want to get up you then state the tablet is the future (which it is). So not defending the monitor now? :p

You initally said the touch enabled desktop monitor would be popular in the living room, then as I state people don't want to get up you then state the tablet is the future (which it is). So not defending the monitor now? :p

You're trying too hard to find fault with what I'm saying! :p

Tablet PCs will be popular in households that can afford them for every one.

Desktop PC with a touch screen will be popular in households that 1) place less emphasis on techno gadgets, and/or 2) can't afford tablet PC for everyone.

Something like that is the logic I was using.

And that is exactly why the Tablet PC is the form factor of the future. Laziness and minimalism.

People view that "dusty old PC in the corner of the living room that is always slow and goes wrong" to be a necessary annoyance.

A tablet PC that has a strictly policed software ecosystem much like the iPad's is just inevitable now, for the consumer Windows PC. It's what people want.

PS: Microsoft has confirmed now that Windows 8 tablets will be almost entirely ARM CPUs only. You can see where this is going :) Market segmentation for the win.

for every 1 person who loves crApples policy I know 5 who hate it...

Tablets are like 3D TV, they're a novelty, I'll admit the iPad is cool, but can you imagine trying to play a decent FPS like COD, Crysis, AVP or Killzone on it? tablets could potentially replace netbooks due to the size and convenience, but they will never replace desktops

Tablets are like 3D TV, they're a novelty, I'll admit the iPad is cool, but can you imagine trying to play a decent FPS like COD, Crysis, AVP or Killzone on it? tablets could potentially replace netbooks due to the size and convenience, but they will never replace desktops

You're right, I can't imagine trying to play any of those games on an iPad.

But if you had a tablet that could play those games and you could dock it to a keyboard and mouse it then becomes a possibility. OK, you might need to include a larger monitor (or 3) and I think we've slipped into what NathanE was suggesting... Maybe even have a decent graphics card built into the dock to power these modern games rather than having it in the tablet.

I'd be very interested in a set up as described and I imagine there are quite a few gamers who would too.

Exactly, they don't have to be mutually exclusive, that's the whole point of Windows 8.

The whole industry is shifting towards the bulk of data and processing power in the cloud and personal devices that adapt to your immediate environment.
Your desk, 24" monitor, fav mechanical keyboard, mouse etc is still an important part of that (and still needs a suitable/productive UI)

Now we just need Microsoft to put Windows (like the proper NT kernel and up) onto their mobile phones.

NT kernel is proving itself to be one tough little son of a bitch. It's a 20 year old OS that is really starting to come of age. It's seemingly going to be giving Microsoft's rivals some big headaches in the coming years :)

PS: Microsoft has confirmed now that Windows 8 tablets will be almost entirely ARM CPUs only. You can see where this is going :) Market segmentation for the win.

Have you got a link to that? I'd have thought there would be a mix of tablets depending on what you wanted to do.

I can imagine hooking a tablet up to a desktop to use for drawing (ala a wacom tablet), but running a full professional desktop setup off a tablet? There just not powerful enough. And as I said earlier I doubt many content producers will use metro for work, its just not as productive as explorer.

The way I see it is that starting with Windows 8 Metro will be for consumers and Explorer will be for content producers, and this gap will only grow with time.

I assume Windows 9 will probably fully merge WP7/8 and Windows 8?

Theres rumors that Windows Phone 8 will converge with Windows 8:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/windows-8-and-windows-phone-8-apollo-os-convergence-tango1-and-tango2-and-more/57900

Not that I have anything useful to add, but I just wanted to say the lack of vision and fear of change is this thread is priceless! Not to mention the amount of idiots who installed a dev build of a pre-beta OS on their computers expecting it to work like a consumer OS. If it were up to these guys we'd still be using beige boxes with huge hot monitors and a limit of 640k RAM...

Yay for Metro and good riddance to the goddamned desktop!

Not that I have anything useful to add, but I just wanted to say the lack of understanding that metro will not work well for everyone and for lots of people explorer will work better is priceless! Not to mention the amount of idiots who installed a dev build of a pre-beta OS on their computers expecting it to work like a consumer OS (i agree on this part :p). If it were up to these guys we'd have people trying to use photoshop, 3ds max and the unreal engine on 10inch touchscreens...

Yay for choice and being able to choose the interface that suits you!

Not that I have anything useful to add, but I just wanted to say the lack of understanding that metro will not work well for everyone and for lots of people explorer will work better is priceless! Not to mention the amount of idiots who installed a dev build of a pre-beta OS on their computers expecting it to work like a consumer OS (i agree on this part :p). If it were up to these guys we'd have people trying to use photoshop, 3ds max and the unreal engine on 10inch touchscreens...

Microsoft is playing it safe to begin with though. They've made it known that the Win8 tablets will be mostly ARM CPUs only. It is clear that the Win8 experience on these "consumer tablets" is going to be very different to the Win8 experience on a desktop PC. First of all they are ARM instruction set, so that immediately means no legacy software will run on them. There may be another type of tablet, a "professional/business tablet" that is perhaps more like a laptop in that it has a Intel CPU and it can use both Metro and the Windows desktop. It is likely that these "pro-tablets" will, in coming years, have advanced "desktop docking" capabilities.

The second question is whether Microsoft will actually make available and support its compilers for ARM. Will there be a VC++ compiler for ARM? Will the .NET framework be made available on ARM? Presumably they will have to be otherwise Metro apps on ARM would be restricted to HTML5/JS.

It is very clear that Microsoft intends on segmenting the market with Win8. They want a consumer/mobile device market and a desktop/professional/legacy market.

This is all in keeping with Bill Gates' lifelong vision of "Windows on any device".

Last edited:
The touch enabled desktop monitor in the living room will not take off because the remote solved the problem of getting up each and every time to change a channel or adjust the volume. Obviously there are many other cool things that can be done but again people don't want the hassle of going to the other side of the room to do it.

The only problem with the remote is the level of abstraction it creates between you and the screen. I imagine this is why the latest Apple TV doesn't have apps yet despite the findings in the OS that suggest it's coming.

It'd be a hard sell to get people to move up to the screen again when theyve been accustomed to using a remote control for so long.

I mentioned this a couple of posts back but everyone seemed to miss it...

I predict that Kinect is going to be implemented for the PC big-time in Windows 8. They already have a beta of the PC Kinect API released.

^^ WinRT can use many languages:

110913%20Windows%208%20Platform%20diagram.JPG

Anyone know if WinRT can be used with non-metro apps? As it has a few cool features that Win32 doesn't have.

^^ WinRT can use many languages:

110913%20Windows%208%20Platform%20diagram.JPG

Anyone know if WinRT can be used with non-metro apps? As it has a few cool features that Win32 doesn't have.

Answer: Yes.

"Symmetrically, a “fully” .NET application (e.g. a WinForms app) can reference the WinRT metadata assemblies and use WinRT APIs. This will be a necessity in some cases, for example to tap into the WinRT sensor APIs."

http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/sasha/archive/2011/09/15/winrt-and-net-in-windows-8.aspx

As has already said, if people thought like you then we'd still be using Win 3.1 UI, or are you suggesting that the current desktop/start bar paradigm is the be all and end all of human/computer interaction?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom