The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Looking around the desktop experience looks like an evolved windows 7. Anandtech's review doesn't matter because a) its an alpha b) its designed to show of the main new feature (metro) c) its running on a tablet and d) there using the mouse/keyboard in metro which no sane person would do.

Soldato
I can't see the HTML5/JS offering being taken seriously by seasoned Windows developers. That is clearly the offering to attract the hobbyists, web devs etc to write for Windows. .NET is not going anywhere. As soon as the WinRT libraries for .NET are ready, it will become the preferred development platform for Metro apps.

Spot on. Can you imagine how slow something like Photoshop would be if written in HTML5/JS :eek: Or even worse, games. 30fps HA!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Is the video out yet? I really want to watch it.

So a pre beta version will be available from tomorrow? Is that right. If so sweeeeeetttttt.

Soldato
Oh rly?
It's meant to be used with thouch, keyboard and mouse

TBH while it can be used with kb/m, its clearly been designed for touch. If your using a kb/m then explorer has much better software support, better window management, better file management, and the software available generally has more features (just compare IE10 metro and explorer to see this). Plus theres also the pixel inefficiency of metro. Thats not to say metro is ****, on the contrary it looks awesome for touch, but I can't think why a kb\m user would choose it over explorer.

Man of Honour
Anyone else thinking that they will use metro interface for desktop?
The way I use a computer at home now is only for a few things and with live tiles can have lots of info displayed on desktop.

I have been looking at desktop recently and thinking it's lacking compared to my so called cut down "iOS on the iPad" but it has email notification and stuff built in and windows8 metro takes that one step further and includes info in the tiles.

Man of Honour
As I just said, I can see many features that would be amazing on desktop with keyboard and mouse.

All the sharing between apps for a start and being able to select stuff from the cloud and uploading it to what ever you are doing in a simple click.
The whole side by side thing would be meda useful, ok you can do that now, but no where near as slick.

I really don't think it is just touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom