*** The Windows XP x64 Thread ***

Associate
Your processor will work flawlessly - it's all the other bits it plug into that might have issues, depending on the x64 driver availability.

Unless you enjoy experimenting with your PC (and enjoy reformating/reinstalling if it borks) or you have 5GB of memory that you must use for a particular application to run then no, there's no real advantage for you.

Associate
I'm looking for help on installing XP x64 as I'm having real hassle trying to get the sata drives recognised.
I've looked and there seems to be a lot of issues with the 3114 sata controller and I have attempted all of the suggestions I've found but I keep getting variations on this error message.

file txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error(1024) at line 1896 in d:\srvrtm\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c
the other error being 512.

I'm trying to install this on a raid 1 array that has multiple partitions on a A8N sli deluxe board but as I'm not even getting to the where do I want to install it screen I'm getting quite frustrated.
Any one had similar problems and know the resolution.
Thanks.

Associate
arr the windows 64 bit runs fast only thing is games dont work and one big main thing me Motorola modem dont work on it as i found out today so i had to install xp pro standard one back in :mad:

Associate
Working well here - on the bright side with vendors having to re write drivers from scratch for 64bit they should be get better and better (and without years of 32bit baggage)

Soldato
Thought I'd give this thread a long overdue bump :p

I'm gonna install XP64 some time next week, so been hunting for drivers and replacement programs... here's some I found:

~ New nForce4 drivers v6.66 out on the Asus site, only a few days old, anyone wanna test these? :p
~ Logitech have released Setpoint for mice and gamepad drivers too
~ New NOD32 beta version is out, again only a few days old
~ WinRAR 3.5 Beta 6 now works fine, and the context menus now function properly

Cheers,

Suman

Associate
I have a X2 4400 arriving end of this week, and I'm considering going for the 64 Windows, could people post advise on the current programs I use the most:

Photoshop CS2
Nero
NOD32
Azureus
Winamp
DVD Shrink
Firefox
Thunderbird
BF2
Ad Aware/Spybot
Speedfan

Wondering if people have expirience of these apps on Win 64?

Associate
Few questions...

If you have to trade in your 32-bit XP Pro license, how is it that you can still dual boot with it and the 64-bit version if presumably you don't have a license for both?

If I exchange it now, I understand that I don't lose my 32-bit license till I activate the 64-bit version. But is there a specific time I have to activate it by?

Basically I'm interested in trying it out at some point, but since the free exchange is meant to run out this month and I don't have a 64-bit cpu yet, I wouldn't mind getting it now and being able to leave it for a couple of months before I use it. Then when I do activate it, I don't want to be stuck with it if it's not going to be compatible with everything yet and would still like the option of using 32-bit, ie with a dual boot.

Soldato
Hudzy: What I'm gonna do is install the XP x64 180-day trial and use it for a couple of weeks. If all is well and it feels faster, then I will trade in my XP Pro licence for an XP x64 one just before the July 31st deadline. If not then I'll switch back to XP Pro! Obviously you can't do this yet because you don't have a 64-bit CPU, and afaik after July 31st you will have to pay full price for XP x64 :(

Otacon: Sorry dude thought that was already in the first post :p otherwise I'd have emailed it to you long ago! Very useful that site, has hardware + software compatiblilty for loadsa stuff... frequently updated too.

Suman

Last edited:
Soldato
Randell Floyd said:
I have a X2 4400 arriving end of this week, and I'm considering going for the 64 Windows, could people post advise on the current programs I use the most:

Photoshop CS2 <-- Yes
Nero <-- Yes
NOD32
Azureus <-- Yes
Winamp <-- Yes
DVD Shrink
Firefox <-- Yes
Thunderbird <-- Yes
BF2 <-- Yes
Ad Aware/Spybot <-- Yes
Speedfan

Wondering if people have expirience of these apps on Win 64?

I'm using all the ones marked yes, They work perfectly fine.

Back
Top Bottom