*** The Windows XP x64 Thread ***

Soldato
OP
From a client perspective, you are - to an extent - correct Lanz. In the server market however you are quite wrong. There are immediate benefits to be had with many enterprise applications.

Soldato
Otacon said:
From a client perspective, you are - to an extent - correct Lanz. In the server market however you are quite wrong. There are immediate benefits to be had with many enterprise applications.

But then you're talking Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition, doubtful anyone reading this thread will be interested in that. Certainly nobody with a 10 million customer base that would be requiring SQL Server 2005 for storing data.

There needs to be a killer game come out soon that uses 64bit for it to really take off, something like BF2 would have been ideal, but there's nothing on the horizon until next year at the earliest.

Maybe they will bring out 3dmark06 that supports it, that would also get people excited.

Soldato
OP
If we're talking about performace enthusiasts, then I agree. You made a sweeping statement with:

The real question is, will stuff work faster on XP64, and the answer is no... so until games actually get a boost from the thing, its a pointless upgrade

And it wasnt clear you were talking about only desktop machines and only games players.

Give it 6 months, and the drivers will be in place. Wont be long after that until we start seeing applications optimised for x64. Will be longer still before we start seeing games though :(

Associate
I guess PC's are never gonna use more than 640k ram? It's not just about extra bits (were talking larger integers here, not floating point as SSE - or MMX extended them anyway a long time ago) - their are more registers available.

It is a chicken in the egg situation - nobody will release drivers/apps/games if their is no 64-bit os and no users.

It is also necessary to consider that Microsoft main development suite - Visual Studio - does not get out of the box support for 64-bit until VS .NET 2005.

Last edited:
Associate
Does this new build have any support for onboard SATA yet? (i.e sil3112A/3114, via vt8237, nvidia) Or do we still need to 'F6' and load off floppy?

Soldato
OP
It will depend entirely on your SATA controller. I'm unsure which controllers have their drivers included, so just suck it and see I suppose.

Associate
There are some generic SATA controller drivers built into SP2 of 32bit XP- as far as i am aware- which i would GUESS where written by MS. If my assumption is correct I cant see why they wouldnt have built 64bit drivers into XP64 by default, ie in "gold" release ( or RC1)

Associate
i have installed windows pro x64 on my msi k8n neo2 platinum and at the moment im looking around for drivers etc..particulally for the msi 64 live update which i think i saw somewhere...so far so good.had to use f6 and floppy for raid drivers...

Associate
Windows 64 Reviews?

Has anyone seen any reviews of windows 64? There seemed to be several when it was in beta but now it out i haven't seen anyone review it and would like to know about speed and compatablity.

Soldato
nathan_e said:
Sadly I can't imagine that increasing much significantly either for at least a year.
Totally agree, i'm gonna wait a while before thinking of getting XP 64. That way there will be far more programs/games supporting it, oh and of course there will be the obligatory Microsoft patch/fixes released to help it along ;)

Soldato
Well personally I won't be considering x64 until the Longhorn wave hits mid-2006 - because that's when everyone else will start considering it, i.e. software developers. Windows XP x64 is practically the definition of "niche" and therefore it's dead in the water from the perspective of compatibility.

Associate
JamesRJ said:
I've been using it for a few weeks now and only prob I have is can't find a driver for an old SiPix web cam. Apart from that everything else is cool

does anyone have any idea where i might be able to find a driver for my ntlhome 200 broadband modem, for windows x64?

Back
Top Bottom