*** The Windows XP x64 Thread ***

Soldato
ColinR said:
HardOCP had a write up for what x64 brings to gaming (which I've already mentioned here), and they've recently added their impressions of Farcry 64 (for the poster who wanted an opinion of it). It actually adds content (a 500 meg patch) and rendering features (Offset mapping - bumpy bumpmaps by the looks of things!) with no preformance penalty.

They also have a write up on the dual-core s939 Athlon 64 too (4800). www.hardocp.com

Does anyone know where to get the 64bit patch, best make use of something now I've upgraded :)

Ignore that I've found it
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/DevelopWithAMD/0,,30_2252_869_875^10543,00.html?redir=IEGFC01

Last edited:
Associate
linksys drivers

Hi, I need drivers for my Linksys Wireless G USB adapter with speed booster (WUSB64GS) I have contacted Linksys and they have replied to tell me there are no drivers for the new windows. I need this working quite quickly and don't want a dual boot. Does anyone know where I can get anything (and i mean anything) to get a least a 1k connection as long as I have a connection I can survive.

Sound is brilliant but at least I have it untill gigabyte bring out that.
Apart from that I think everything works fine.
I am using a ancient graphics card tat don't even support 32 bit colour for now that I borrowed of work just until I can afford my new Geforce 6800 GT and my water cooling. (hate fans mine sounds like a hoover with standard fans in)

Soldato
Im sorry I havent read through the whole thread but, I need to know..

will my games / apps etc work on x64? and I take it I need 64 bit drivers for every piece of hardware in my machine? will no 32bit driver work ?

And is there a huge difference between windows xp pro 32 bit and windows xp pro 64 bit ? whats the big deal ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Jimbo said:

will my games / apps etc work on x64? and I take it I need 64 bit drivers for every piece of hardware in my machine? will no 32bit driver work ?

And is there a huge difference between windows xp pro 32 bit and windows xp pro 64 bit ? whats the big deal ?

Yes, most apps and games will work fine. And yes u need 64bit drivers for every bit of your hardware.

There is no difference, no extras, its no faster, and not worth buying currently. I'd probably install it if I was reformatting anyway for some reason, but there's really no point `upgrading` to it if your current installation is working ok.

Soldato
Jimbo said:

So far all my games work (farcry 64bit is out of the is world :))
Have problems with Norton internet security 2003, Realplayer, alcohol, and most virtual CD drives.
You do need new 64 bit drivers, but most things seem to have them now. Check if you have a SATA drive.
And to me it seems well worth it, windows is flying along. games seem a little better. And as mentioned 64bit coded games (farcry) look amazing.

Soldato
modo77 said:
Have problems with Norton internet security 2003, Realplayer, alcohol, and most virtual CD drives.
You do need new 64 bit drivers, but most things seem to have them now. Check if you have a SATA drive.
And to me it seems well worth it, windows is flying along. games seem a little better. And as mentioned 64bit coded games (farcry) look amazing.

The thing with Farcry tho, is that it would run the extra content just as good on a 32bit cpu/OS. 64bit does nothing for gaming right now, even on so called 64bit compiled games.

Soldato
Lanz said:
The thing with Farcry tho, is that it would run the extra content just as good on a 32bit cpu/OS. 64bit does nothing for gaming right now, even on so called 64bit compiled games.

Not talking about the content. You can can see about twice the distance in high detail

Permabanned
modo77 said:

I notice your using an A8v deluxe, did you need the SATA driver on a floppy disk if you installed on a SATA drive, and are you using the VIA controller?

Also, what problems are you having with internet security 2003?

Soldato
bezzer2403 said:
I notice your using an A8v deluxe, did you need the SATA driver on a floppy disk if you installed on a SATA drive, and are you using the VIA controller?

Also, what problems are you having with internet security 2003?

Ah well I'm just running a test at the moment, so i'm using an old IDE drive not my SATA one.

I get an error saying its unable to initialise a driver, i've followed the instructions for the fault off the support site (remove other firewalls, update norton, try reinstall) and its still the same.

Soldato
Right, just installed Windows 64- is pretty disappointing- having loads of problems with not having any 64bit drivers for lots of stuff.

I mean where the hell is the 64bit AMD cpu driver!!!! Can't use cool and quiet now! What a joke.

Its not faster in windows- perhaps even slower if anything. Is there anyway to use clone cd virtual drives?

Associate
Instead of declaring the end of the world why don't you say which drivers you are missing? :D

The driver for cool n' quiet is already built into the O/S. All you have to do is change the power settings to 'minimal'.

XP64 is an excellent O/S, very well done - they have accomplished a considerable amount by being backwards compatible with a lot of apps/games.

I deleted my 32-bit partition today, simply because I do not need it. Epson have now stated they will have drivers for my printer end of may. So all is good in the world ;)

http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ViewFAQ.aspx?lng=en-GB&ID=KB050135EN

Not only that, but creative released final XP64 drivers on their website.

Soldato
Yeah was good that the cool and quiet driver is built in. Another pain has reared its head though! Farcry runs too fast when cool and quiet is enabled (not in a good kind of way). Also, farcry 64bit crashes occasionally unlike its 32bit version. All in all proving to be a major pain- might have to go back to 32bit.

Associate
pioneer2000 said:
Yeah was good that the cool and quiet driver is built in. Another pain has reared its head though! Farcry runs too fast when cool and quiet is enabled (not in a good kind of way). Also, farcry 64bit crashes occasionally unlike its 32bit version. All in all proving to be a major pain- might have to go back to 32bit.

farcry crashes for me as well but looks really good..im patient so ill wail for all of the problems to be sorted out and in time it will be a fast operating system.

Back
Top Bottom