*** The Windows XP x64 Thread ***

Associate
nathan_e said:
Compatibility at the moment is close to 0%, unfortunately.

Care to qualify that?

The only XP vs XPx64 comparo I've seen is on HardOCP:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzY1

Certainly isn't 0% there...
Don't bother reading it all. There is no discernable difference between the two except in the new Splinter Cell game (won't run) and Chronicles Of Riddick x64 version (runs slower than the 32 bit version).

It's now in stock I see. As it's OEM I'm aware you need to buy hardware with it. However, the online ordering system doesn't seem to be aware of this.

What would happen if I went ahead and ordered it anyway without any hardware?
If I do have to buy hardware with it (bear in mind I bought my Neo2 and Athlon64 from OcUK anyway at Xmas) what is the minimum hardware? If it's a 64 bit chip or motherboard, that's just stupid (I already have them)? But can I get round it by buying a power cord (useless bearing in mind my Tagan came with a shielded (!) power cord anyway)?

Soldato
So do S-ATA drivers from a floppy disc need to be 64-bit compatible?

How can one obtain them from Asus?

Dissecting their Nforce4 package? :confused:

Soldato
I've got the DFI SLI-DR motherboard, when installing Windows on Sata drives, i don't need any drivers as it's on chip (nForce 4) do i need to do anything when changing to Win XP 64 ?

Associate
I've just installed on an Shuttle SN95G5v2 (3500+,1GB, 6600GT) and had no problems whatsoever. Setup indentified my SATA drive without having to load drivers from floppy. The only sticking point is an old Soundblaster Live PCI card I've got in my machine for full-duplex playback/recording and input-based on-the-fly sound effects. I've installed the 64-bit beta drivers from Creative but they only work for 120 days. They do work flawlessly though.

Caporegime
Has anyone tried Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory in this OS yet?
I read that it doesn't work out-of-the-box on x64, so I contacted Ubisoft who told me to apply the latest patch. I haven't bought the game yet so can't try it - anyone else got it working OK?

Soldato
OP
Combat squirrel said:
Otacon - could we add on to the list a firewall/antivirus list that works with x64 win ?
If you know of some that will work (other than avast, which has been mentioned), then by all means post away.

Associate
HardOCP had a write up for what x64 brings to gaming (which I've already mentioned here), and they've recently added their impressions of Farcry 64 (for the poster who wanted an opinion of it). It actually adds content (a 500 meg patch) and rendering features (Offset mapping - bumpy bumpmaps by the looks of things!) with no preformance penalty.

They also have a write up on the dual-core s939 Athlon 64 too (4800). www.hardocp.com

Back
Top Bottom