1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***The Wine Thread***

Discussion in 'La Cuisine' started by randomshenans, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Ahleckz

Capodecina

Vivino are doing the Anniversario 62 for £20.75 a bottle. I know it's gets a lot of praise on here, is it a good price? I really don't need anymore wine but I suppose I could get one more order done...

2. Tuppy_Glossop

Wise Guy

You know it makes sense. Who doesn't like a good Primitivo di Manduria? It's rich and silky with bags of oomph. You'll love it. Blame me, nae bother :)

3. randomshenans

Sgarrista

^^ Or me. I'd take that. If you like a big deep, luscious red, with a tonne of flavour, you might like it

4. harry5522

Soldato

Hey everyone need a bit of advice :).

Chasing tail at work, she brought me some nice beers in the other day aswell as some stunning sweet apple and cinnamon pastry that she baked for me.

I want to get her a nice bottle of red wine but I am absolutely clueless when it comes to wine. She really enjoys very sweet red wines and not overly strong.

Few recommendations of various prices would be really appreciated.

5. Tuppy_Glossop

Wise Guy

Read this

6. randomshenans

Sgarrista

7. harry5522

Soldato

Having had a read I think this has put me on the right path of what to look for.

Thanks I will take a look now.

Edit : out of interest in the "sweetness" department how would you describe this?

8. Skeptic

Mobster

When she says 'sweet' are you sure she doesn't mean sweet flavours? I.e. some of the overt flavours of oak: vanilla, caramel, spice etc?

If it's sweetness then I'd go Maury - if it's sweet flavours then the anniversary we bang on about is a good bet. Or maybe the chocolate block.

9. harry5522

Soldato

From her descriptions she means sweet. She typically calls it " sweet nectar "

I will take a look at Maury.

10. harry5522

Soldato

Looking at this at the moment. This the type of Maury you are referring to :)?

11. Tuppy_Glossop

Wise Guy

Too strong for your missus, at 14%. She wants low ABV which implies that the fermentation is stopped early, leaving residual sugar (hence sweetness).

12. Marvt74

Soldato

Isn't "sweet nectar" just a common saying? Not necessarily meaning it tastes sweet?

13. molinari

Mobster

That's what I thought.

14. randomshenans

Sgarrista

It's a sweet wine, the one I linked. Very much so. I think she'd like it.

15. harry5522

Soldato

Thanks for that,
    Never having heard it, i would have never interpreted it to not necessarily being sweet.

Given i don't want to wait too long to get her something i have been having another read over this page that Tuppy linked. I have ordered some Contero Brachetto d'Acqui DOCG. Around 6% Fruity and sweet.

Hopefully it will go down well, if not i will take the hit :D.

16. harry5522

Soldato

So i have quick time cancelled that order! was having a chat tonight instead of working and i got her to show me her favourite wine via my phone. " Porto ruby wine " and discussing this she said it's about 17-20%. Lost from my first translation lol. ( shes polish so some things come out skewed. )

Any recommendations of a good one of those mentioned :D?

Sorry btw i really don't know my alcohol outside of beer.

17. taB

Hitman

That is low alc compared to normal Polish drinking :).

So, that's just Ruby Port and available in loads of places. Fonseca probably my favourite but you can't really go wrong with Dow, Graham, Cockburn et al. You should get something competent for a tenner.

18. Tuppy_Glossop

Wise Guy

You could try and bring her back from the excessive sweetness of port and into the wine fold by giving her some Cabalie Black Label. It is sweet and strong but most definitely a wine. Or the stuff our random friend was on about.

19. randomshenans

Sgarrista

If she doesn't like the wine I recommended, I'll pay for it :p

20. Marvt74

Soldato

@randomshenans i gave her 500 bottles and she hated every single one of them. Want my bank details or is paypal ok?