***The Wine Thread***

Soldato
OP
Great thanks @tom_nieto we've just booked our first stop on the way, which happens to be in Tuscany again :D just near a place called Londa. I'm breaking the trip up so we're doing about 6hr trips in the car, which we can break up stopping at random things on the way.
Also trying to keep it cheap, as it was a bit of an unplanned trip :p so hunting some gems on airbnb. First night 70 euros!

Now I'm looking for other gems slightly further down for stop 2.

Soldato
I'd quite like to pick up a few bottles of 2012 vintage champagne to keep in reserve for future anniversaries etc (that was the year we got married). Does anyone have any particular recommendations please? Charles Heidsieck seems to be our go to if that helps - nothing too acidic/mineral-ly.

Soldato
I recently took delivery of several cases of Burgundy from a family member. My uncle has a subscription with a winemaker in Cote de Beaune, whereby he pays a small annual fee and is then guaranteed a certain amount of bottles of certain wines for a discounted price, and it's then up to him whether he wants to take up on his subscription through collection. My wife and I went down to meet with the winemakers earlier in the summer, spent a morning tasting a shed load of stuff and settled on a few cases, some magnums and a bottle of Marc.

It's certainly not 1er or Grand Cru stuff from the larger and more obvious terroir in Burgundy, but these are still certainly decent 1er Cru wines - Pernand-Vergelesses, Cote de Beaune, Savigny-les-Beaune, etc. We've stocked up on it for the year, and I still can't get over the prices for the stuff. It's worked out at about £15 a bottle for stuff that usually goes for £30 retail, and upward of £60 on wine menus. My wife can't drink it a the moment though, as she's almost 5 months pregnant ;)

Soldato
Hey guys,

Looking for a nice red to go with a cheese board on christmas day, happy to spend £10-£20 to get something nice. I hope that is enough?

Preferably something I can get on the high street but not a huge deal if not.

Cheers

Soldato
What kind of cheeses are you having? Sometimes a nice port might be a better option.
Really depends on the choice of cheeses. This might help:

https://cheesemonger.wordpress.com/cheese-and-wine-pairings-chart/
Ah, I am spending the day with the in-laws and I don't know the menu unfortunately. I didn't really think that much into it! by the time the cheese board comes round who knows what state I will be in anyway :p
I was just hoping for a recommendation on a decent red wine around that budget just as a small gift on the day, no one is a huge red wine drinker anyway and they may not even get drunk!

I will likely need a couple bottles so ideally something for under £25-30 in total would be ideal :)

Soldato
Haha fair enough then! If it's a gift is it not worth buying something that they actually drink?

You got any independant wine shops nearby? They may even be able to suggest white wines which'd pair with cheese if they drink that more. I recently had a white wine paired with beef and it worked brilliantly (very surprising!

Soldato
Haha fair enough then! If it's a gift is it not worth buying something that they actually drink?

You got any independant wine shops nearby? They may even be able to suggest white wines which'd pair with cheese if they drink that more. I recently had a white wine paired with beef and it worked brilliantly (very surprising!
They are going to be heavy on the champagne and prosecco, a few beers also!

I just enjoy some red wine with cheese n crackers hah, but i just pick up any old bottle i see! Honestly couldn't tell you the type or brand

That is a good shout, I work in London so should be able to find something!

Soldato
Depending on where you work. Hedonism wines is absolutely superb.
SohoWine is on my door stop basically, ive had a look at the site and looks pretty well stocked (not sure if that is in store stock also)

Anything on there that immediately jumps out to you as a good solid choice?

Soldato
I currently use the deepest area at the back of of my under stairs closet, at least 10ft from the door.
Currently I use a combination of bottle rack, two six bottle wood wine crates that close up. This blocks light and keeps the wine at a even temperature although vibrations from people going up/downstairs doesn’t cause too much of a problem.

My father-in-law has an old chimney blocked off with doors with two polystyrene bottle racks and an open bottle rack at the front.

This has got me thinking, it would make access to the bottles easier and I can make a sliding door to block light.

Has anyone used terracotta or polystyene bottle racks that hold the entire bottle?

Soldato
I've gone largely South African this Christmas:

6 x Rainbow's End Cab Franc from StellenBosch
6 x Iona Sauvignon Blanc from False Bay (Western Cape)
6 x Springfield EstateWhole Berry Cabernet Sauvignon

Plus a couple of old favourites:

2 x Nativ Eremo San Querico Gold
2 x Anniversario 62 Primitivo Cantine San Marzano
2 x Bila Haut Rousillon Villages

Gonna have a squizz round Aldi too, just in case.

e: added cab sauv detail

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom