***The Wine Thread***

Soldato
Spent several days in Burgundy recently as part of a week in France. I love pinot noir, my favourite grape by a long way, so it was a trip I've been wanting to do for ages.

Spent the first night in Gevrey Chambertin - generally my preferred AOC - and went to a couple of tastings. Unfortunately we were flying back, so couldn't take much with us, and the Euro and taxes mean that importing loads isn't a great option at the moment. We bought half a case of 2014 Les Cazetiers and flew them back in our luggage - very much looking forward to drinking that!

Next couple of nights we stayed in Aloxe-Corton. Another of my preferred appellations, with some of the best whites in the world in my opinion. My uncle has a subscription with a local producer - he pays an annual fee and in return is guaranteed a certain amount of cases at a hefty discount - so we had a great tour of their facilities and went through most of their wines (at 10am on a Monday morning!). It's all villages stuff but a decent quality. Given the discount - and my uncle picking up my order in September with his annual purchase - means that we'll be drinking very decent Beaune and Cotes de Nuits stuff at about £15 a bottle for the next year.

All in all a very good trip, and was completed with a few days in Provence hammering through the local rose.

Also ordered in some of my favourite Californian pinot noir too, which I shall be selectively going through as my wife is off the booze for the next 7 months!

Soldato
Soldato
During a recent holiday in Cornwall, the missus and I visited Camel Valley Vineyard. It's a pretty spot:

gIjouvH.jpg

Jhyw79q.jpg

They grow Bacchus, Chardonnay, Sevray, and Pinot Noir.

PvCqaKn.jpg

The whites wines are very good, with a crisp lemon note and good minerality. The fizz is fantastic. The missus preferred the sweeter Rose Brut but I preferred the Pinot Noir Brut (Blanc de Noir style). The wasps didn't have a preference.

I love pinot noir, my favourite grape by a long way

We like our Pinot Noir and I was blown away by a South African PN at Nathan Outlaw's:

2VXU9yL.jpg

The sommelier said it is imported by a Cathay Pacific pilot, so good luck getting hold of it (I haven't looked yet) but it is amazing. It can do anything from turbot, through chicken and duck, even to red meats. It is punchy and bold but still dry and fruity. Amazing wine.

Edit: get it from NI here

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I clearly forgot to write anything in here, think I was on a 2 week hangover.

The trip was great; We started in Pisa and drove down the Chianti route, stopping a few times on the way. The first was total luck and happened to be stunning. They served breakfast for us, even though it was for guests at their B&B, and their wine was awesome. Ended up buying 5 bottles...even though I only had hand luggage.

We carried on, had lunch a bit later on down the route, just before getting to Siena. My Siena is a magically beautiful place. Such history there, it's fantastic. Spent the next day exploring the city and history, while sampling more and more wine.

Saturday was all in Siena, and then Sunday morning we got up and drove down to Montalcino. Stopped for some bruschetta and sampled a few Brunellos and then might have bought some more wine.... after this we we due back in Pisa Sunday night so we made our way across the country to the coast as I wanted to go to Bolgheri. I'd tried a couple of Bolgheri wines but didn't know too much, so we read up on them while we drove through Italy. What a tiny interesting little place. It was Sunday, so we anticipated a lot being shut, and a lot of vineyards were, but Bolgheri itself was bustling with people. If you're in the area I'd definitely pop in.
I bought more wine.

At this point we're heading back to Pisa and I have 9 bottles of wine with me, some fresh truffles and a hangbag for the Mrs. All in my small hand luggage case. Fortunately I decided to check it in, but also got it wrapped in that clingfilm stuff as I had visions of wine everywhere. It made it.

Our route was:
1wALoJG.png

Felt I saw a huge amount in the time I was there. Now I want to plan for a drive somewhere else in Italy to explore some more wine regions.

Soldato
Nice one, randy :p We went wine-tasting around Castellina in Chianti when we were there.I'd have thought you'd be off to puglia, maybe San Marzano, next for the Primitivo and the like.

Vivino offering me Purple Angel 2015 at £34.80 down from £47.95. it's a 4.5er!!!

Soldato
OP
OK, so I'd talked about it with the wife and kids and we're going to see if we can make a trip to Italy at the end of this month. Scoping out this route:

tfQpeKU.png

Should be able to see some nice things and pick up some nice wine along the way.

Soldato
OP
Good shout, could easily do it on the return leg. Mind, it'd take me via St Bernards pass/ tunnel which is notoriously a *****. This could be really fun/ boozy :D about 2.5k KM in 6 days... See if I can pick up bottles in every region? :D

Soldato
Perugia and Orvieto are amazing. The food in Umbria is insanely good. Wine isn’t as famous as Tuscany but it’s definitely worth trying sagrantino which is unique to the region as I understand.

Back
Top Bottom