***The Wine Thread***

Caporegime
Awesome, thanks. Love my wine but spent years drinking similar variations so fancy branching out - fortunately haven't found a bad Brunello (yet :p).

Primitivo it is then for the next bottle :)

Associate
Hi, I'm new :)

This week I have largely been drinking:

La Montesa 2015 and la Casilla 2015, both nice at a good price point £10-12 (imported).

But for a really good Bobal for accompanying a thai takeaway, try a Vox Populi Bobal 2014 from Majestic - spicy goodness :cool:

Soldato
OP
Hi, I'm new :)

This week I have largely been drinking:

La Montesa 2015 and la Casilla 2015, both nice at a good price point £10-12 (imported).

But for a really good Bobal for accompanying a thai takeaway, try a Vox Populi Bobal 2014 from Majestic - spicy goodness :cool:

Hey there! Do you use Vivino? I like it as a way to track/ buy and check my wines!

In fact, I have bought a lot of wine (most stuff I've previously had) through there and got the premium app just so I get free delivery. Saved me a ton so far, but cost me a lot in wine :p 3 clicks I think it is and it's bought now. Which is amazing.

Associate
Hey there! Do you use Vivino? I like it as a way to track/ buy and check my wines!

I have not used them, but looking at some of the spanish wines, i might have to :) thanks for the tip

I buy from https://www.decantalo.com/en/ it does have delivery charges but a good range of wines (Spanish) and at reasonable prices on the whole - a few are still worth getting in the UK rather than importing

Otherwise, Majestic, Waitrose and Berry Brothers are my go to places in the UK

Soldato
OP
Oh ffs. I have been searching for an EU distro for Nickel and Nickel wines for ages. No reply from them until I hounded them some more and they said one in the UK (site didn't even list any!) and one in Germany... which had 2 types on there! **** me. I just ordered 11 bottles of wine for 450quid :o

BUT CHRIST THEY LOOOOOOK SO GOOD!

87Vsfcl.png

That and the 18 bottles of Nativ I bought the other day has me stocked back up a bit to ~50 bottles.

Soldato
I'm off to Washington state in the summer, so will be hoping to find and ship back a selection of US wines.

Had a few nice bottles of wine recently.
- Mauro Castilla Y Leon 2006, which was absolutely lovely.
- Solitary Block Shiraz 2006. Another cracking mature Aussie red.
- Domaine Michel Lafarge Volney 'Les Mitans' 2009. Still young, but absolutely stunning. One of the nicest wines I've bought, and worth every penny. Beautiful.

Soldato
Drinking my way round Santorini in a week or so. Sounds good: volcanic soils, lots of sunshine, naturally-occuring vines.
We were there last summer (it was very hot!) and discovered Assyrtiko; clean, crisp, dry, lovely citrus but with a distinct salinity to it - lovely. I'm sure you'll try some fantastic examples.

Soldato
That's the white we are looking forward to. Apparently there are forty indigenous grape varieties. Seems hard to believe on such a small island. Nevertheless, I want to believe.

Soldato
OP
So I pretty much drank all of the above wines at the weekend as we had guests over, and my god they were god. Like, really really good. My vivino got some love. A friend from the US brought over a bottle of K Vinters that is crazy rare. Was about 150CHF and 4.7 rating. Really stunning bottle, but for me the Nickel and Nickel is hard to beat. It's amazing.

Now I might need to top up :O

Soldato
I won a bottle of Signal Post 2017 Australian Shiraz in a charity raffle at the weekend and decided to try it last night. It was dreadful. Sour but not vinegar. If it had had a cork rather than a screw top I would have said it was corked. Okay, at that price point I'm not expecting much but it should at least be drinkable.

Soldato
Anyone tried this? @randomshenans i'm looking at you!

Pommery "Summertime" Blanc de Blancs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pommery-Summertime-Blanc-Blancs-Champagne/dp/B00PAB7JCG/ref=sr_1_107?s=alcohol&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1530197982&sr=1-107&keywords=champagne&refinements=p_76:419158031

We've moving house and i want to try something i've not had before when we get the keys, but since we have a crap load to buy i also don't want to spend a lot (sub £50 really) and this caught my eye.

EDIT - Vivino suggests it's decent. **** it i've ordered it. Might order a Bollinger too as a backup!

Soldato
OP
I have not actually... will be interested to see what you think. I'm a big BdB fan.

I don't have much Champagne in at the moment. Normally keep about 6 bottles of Cremant in, (https://www.vivino.com/wineries/bestheim/wines/cremant-dalsace-grand-prestige-2010 this stuff is our go to!) and at the price and quality, it's hard to beat. I still have Champagne every now and then. Have some Louis at home, as I feel that's always needed and a bottle of roseé Champagne that's about it. Mostly reds and a lot of gin! :D

Back
Top Bottom