The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
OP
GTA V only cost $265 million to make, easy peasy.

Well, I feel better after seeing that youtube link. It's hard to comment without seeing all the playable areas in the game but even that section looked quite lush. Also there is a heavy dose of blur/DOF, both of which are the first options I disable in all games that allow me too.

It looks beautiful. And what I have seen of Kaer Morhen....hhhhggnngg looks stunning.

No need to post console footage in the PC section m8, you will just start a flame war.

I apologize, didn't want to upset anyone.

:)

Soldato
OP
Tbh i'd be more concerned how it runs.

If i remember correctly didn't W2 run like a dog and very buggy on release?

Nope, I played Witcher 2 on release, may 17th 2011, and it ran very well on my 2500K + GTX560Ti on maximum settings (with supersampling disabled).
Finished it 6 days later without encountering any significant bugs.

They did work on it a lot and improved it in patch 2.0 and Enhanced Edition, but the game was perfectly fine on release.

Soldato
OP
Game runs great on 280X with hairworks disabled, foliage distance on high and shadows on high.
40+ fps, no stutters, no crashes.
Looks stunning.

That said, I ordered 970 so I can run this quality at 60+ fps, hopefully.
I love this game so far. Such raw talent and ambition on display.

Rockstar might have more polish, but their games are vastly less ambitious.

Soldato
OP
So finally today my new GPU will arrive and I will delve into it for real, with save imported.

I am looking forward to the best gaming experience of my life.

Took 2 weeks off. There shall be no distractions. Just me, controller, 55" plasma, 970-powered PC, and the amazing world of the Witcher.

Soldato
OP
Runs amazingly on a 970 mate, enjoy! Doing the same myself but only 2 days not 2 weeks ;) have fun

Thanks :) Good to know. I checked some benchmark and it seems 970 should be able to offer 60fps at mostly ultra settings. My current 280X only runs at 40 with most stuff at ultra.

Two weeks off for a computer game...... whatever floats your boat I guess.

For me it is more than just a game - I have been witcher fan for 16 years since I first read the book saga. And this is its conclusion - CDP is closing even storylines that were left open in the books. It will be quite an experience for me.

Plus I had plenty of vacation days saved up and still have, so that's nice too :D

Soldato
OP
game of thrones level?! LOL! :D

Hilarious, considering Game of Thrones is actually Witcher-lite.
Witcher books existed before Game of Thrones. To me GoT, as much as I enjoy it, feels like a cheaper variant of Witcher.

And Witcher 3 takes everything to another level. The writing is up there with Planescape Torment.

Soldato
OP
Roach is awesome :p

Sure she sometimes stops when I don't want to, and sometimes isn't the best at avoiding obstacles, but....hey, she lets me roam the landscape quickly at any time eventhough I carry stuff over the limit, so I can't be too angry at her.

Soldato
OP
This game is incredible. Just did Last Wish quest and then went to Kaer Morhen, mind blown at the beauty everywhere. Everything is so well written, every character. In 20 years of gaming this is best game I have ever played, combining everything I love in one package - beautifully written reactive story with choices and consequences, huge detailed beautiful world packed with atmosphere, action combat that feels snappy and responsive, quest design that has no equal. 10/10

Soldato
OP
TES games, as much as I enjoy them (90 hours in Oblivion, 50 in Morrowind, 170 in Skyrim) are vastly inferior to Witcher 3 in pretty much every way that counts, for me at least.
Their greatest flaw, for me, is their writing - the stories and quests are just bland and not very interesting. There are some cool exceptions, but..yeah. The logic and consistency also does not really exists, Bethesda does not concern itself with these things. They just throw everything they think is cool into a kitchen sink, logic be damned.

I mean, in Witcher 3 I am laughing my ass off at one moment
example - theater play, the drinking night
and tearing up at another
priscilla getting mutilated, burying the aborted child with Baron..

I never really feel any emotion when playing any TES game (or vast majority of games in general). The writing in games is generally pretty bad.

But Witcher 2/3 are utterly fantastic. Only ones who can equal CD Projekt is Obsidian and maybe Larian in the future.

Of course, I am writing all this from perspective of someone who also read all the Witcher books 3 times over the last 16 years. Being their fan adds a LOT of enjoyment, since the game is packed with references and nods and is pretty much perfect continuation of their storyline.

Soldato
OP
Finished yesterday.
Exactly 200 hours, as reported by Steam.

What can I say ? It was the best game I have ever experienced. Combined my two favourite things about games - exploration + interactive narrative - into a single package, at higher quality than anyone has achieved before. Also, it was a complete love-letter to the fans of the book saga like me. I have never experienced so many strong emotions in a game before..or hell, in a movie or TV.
It was something special indeed. I had the beautiful, if a little bittersweet, ending I hoped for, too, without any consulting with guides or what not.

Now I am just depressed this amazing journey is over. The books, the game trilogy...it spanned 16 years, and now it is over. Sure, there will be expansions, but those will most likely take place before the conclusion..

Listening to soundtrack now, at least. I think once all expansions are out I will have to replay it whole :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm nowhere near finished, but it's definitely the best RPG I've played and definitely the largest game too.

It blows my mind how large the game is at this level of detail and quality across the board. People are crazy about GTAs/Fallouts but this just eclipses them both, and they made it in only 3 years with much smaller budget.

I'm actually going through the Witcher 2 again now with my Witcher 1 save. After which I'll import that to 3 for my second play through. :D

This is easily my game of the year, and the best RPG I've played since the Baldur's Gate series ended.

Yeah, me too - before TW3 came out, I re-read all 8 books and replayed both games and imported the saves :)
Just one huge amazing bigazz witcher experience.

Soldato
OP
My life feels so empty after finishing Witcher 3.

Tell me about it. It's been almost three weeks since I finished it and I don't feel like playing anything else or even watching any TV show since it all seems so inferior to the experience this game gave me :/
And all I want to do is play it again, but at the same time I want to wait for expansions so I forget some of it and the second playthrough is fresher..

Soldato
OP
Gothic
Divinity Ego Draconis
Bioshock
Risen
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Funny, I finished every single one of these (all Gothic games, incl. G3 and even that PoS Arcania, all Risen games, Dishonored incl. expansion, Divinity 2 incl. expansion).

I love them all.
I do.

Witcher 3 is better than any of these. You find combat crap, I found it much better than in any of these. You found exploration bad, I found it insanely satisfying, finally a game better for exploration than legendary Gothic 2.
But yes, where Witcher 3 truly shines and outclasses every single game made since Planescape Torment, is writing. Characters. Dialogues. Quest design.

It is not often that I can't stop tears while playing a videogame. It happened maybe twice over 20 years. MGS and Planescape Torment.

It happened multiple times during Witcher 3.

And I laughed my ass off at other moments, and there were plenty of those too.

Soldato
OP
If you could create your own "Witcher" it might of made it more interesting for me. I just couldn't play as the characterless Geralt any longer.

"Characterless Geralt"

WTF

If anything, the custom player made characters are usually boring blank slates. Playing Geralt is much more fun and relatable with his established history, memories and relationships.

Soldato
OP
I think this very well might be the prettiest game ive played on pc.

Yes.

17838609070_3a74a34328_o_d.jpg

17753943714_84c3df3cc0_k_d.jpg

Soldato
OP
Played this on PS4 and got sick of it. Upgraded my PC recently to 970 GTX with an amazing Samsung curved monitor and paid a measly £15.79 for it! and WOW it is a different game(High Settings, Ultra drops below 30FPS on the odd occassion, High doesn't drop below 40FPS).

Game of the Year so far, loving everything about it, though I almost completed the relatively boring main mission on the PS4.

With 970 you should be getting 60+fps on mostly ultra settings, if you have decent CPU.

The patch has been great for me, no issues and all the improvements are brilliant, especially new movement and inventory and stash.

Back
Top Bottom