The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
OP
Probably just as obnoxious as you trying to ridicule my preference of Bioshock's narrative:rolleyes: I even remember you saying in this very thread that my problems with Witcher are just words and it doesn't matter at all. You're a bit of a hypocrite as you can say anything to me even with that cocky attitude "wow, opinions and all" and get all defensive when you get a response in a similar tone. Clearly anything goes as long as it's in favour of the Witcher 3.

As for misguided comparisons, we compare storylines, not gameplay so what does it mean whether it's a corridor shooter or not? Witcher 3's story is still bland, plodding and awfully predictable especially for the best "RPG"/game ever made, which fact it tries to cover up with huge amounts of dialogue and padding. Characters? The only ones who weren't so painfully one-dimensional were Lambert, Dijkstra and the Bloody Baron.
Yennefer only knew how to throw a hissy-fit and act cocky through the entire game, Triss was your typical romantic sorceress, Zoltan an Dandelion were practically non-existent. Don't even get me started on Ciri and Vesemir.

Yet you can say things like it's an outstanding achievement next to anything? You've just said comparisons with other genres are "misguided" so maybe let's narrow that down to RPGs:p Especially that games like Silent Hill 2 or The Last of Us IMO crap on Witcher 3's core feature from immense heights.

You're entitled to your opinion but you don't have to try and get all cocky because someone prefers the narrative in Bioshock or other games like your opinion is in any way superior, especially that it didn't take long for someone who thinks the same to show up. That's what makes you come off as a bit of a fanboy. Remember, it's equally funny for me that you genuinely think this is the best story of all time but I try to understand that. Best dialogues? Maybe up there. The rest, hell no.

And Bioshock is very, very far on my favourites list, BTW.

I don't call you irrational hater or other ad hominems, so I would appreciate the same from you.
I admit I was a bit flippant when I read from you how Bioshock has better story. I liked its story, the twist at the time was a nice mind bender. But Witcher 3 is so much grander in its scope, and most of it is written incredibly well, I just find it to be significantly more impressive achievement. The Bloody Baron/Witches, the whole Novigrad investigation with Carnal Sins there, Skellige with Possession and Lord of Undvik and many others, everything in Kaer Morhen, every interaction with Ciri..so good, so infinitely enjoyable. I completely disagree with your assesment of pretty much everything you posted in this thread when it comes to TW3's story, and yet I do have my own gripes with it that I wish CDP could fix. But what you call bland and plodding, I found to be interesting and well paced.
I finished Silent Hill 2 and Last of Us and both are fantastic. But neither comes close to TW 2/3 for me. Thems the breaks, I think we are just going in circles now.

But hey, at least you enjoyed the expansions better :p

Soldato
I don't call you irrational hater or other ad hominems, so I would appreciate the same from you.
I admit I was a bit flippant when I read from you how Bioshock has better story. I liked its story, the twist at the time was a nice mind bender. But Witcher 3 is so much grander in its scope, and most of it is written incredibly well, I just find it to be significantly more impressive achievement. The Bloody Baron/Witches, the whole Novigrad investigation with Carnal Sins there, Skellige with Possession and Lord of Undvik and many others, everything in Kaer Morhen, every interaction with Ciri..so good, so infinitely enjoyable. I completely disagree with your assesment of pretty much everything you posted in this thread when it comes to TW3's story, and yet I do have my own gripes with it that I wish CDP could fix. But what you call bland and plodding, I found to be interesting and well paced.
I finished Silent Hill 2 and Last of Us and both are fantastic. But neither comes close to TW 2/3 for me. Thems the breaks, I think we are just going in circles now.

But hey, at least you enjoyed the expansions better :p

Fair enough, Paul. I have no qualms with you liking the story and putting it like that. You have every right to do so. It just didn't work for me as well as I thought it would, which I was genuinely surprised about as a massive fan of Witcher 2. That, however, doesn't mean it''s not a good game.

And if you enjoyed the base game so much, I think you'll really love Blood and Wine:)

Cheers

Soldato
You posted on the 1st of July, i replied on the 3rd. That's two days, not weeks, and if you didnt know how to reply then the answer was dont reply. My post wasn't patronising; you read it wrong. give it a rest now ffs.

My bad, I was in Warsaw just before my Japanese exam back then and must've had a terrible time lapse, I feel like it's been weeks. The rest of my post still stands so you can either follow your own advice and give it a rest ffs or keep at it.

Cheers

Soldato
OP
Fair enough, Paul. I have no qualms with you liking the story and putting it like that. You have every right to do so. It just didn't work for me as well as I thought it would, which I was genuinely surprised about as a massive fan of Witcher 2. That, however, doesn't mean it''s not a good game.

And if you enjoyed the base game so much, I think you'll really love Blood and Wine:)

Cheers

I have to say I am also genuinely surprised someone who is a massive fan of TW2 could be disappointed with TW3 :) But I guess it can happen sometimes. But it's kinda amusing how differently can different people see the same thing. For example when I go from here to, say rpgcodex, the latest post in Witcher 3 topic there is

Finally finished the game. I always kept putting it down, but the story kept me picking it back up again.

Honestly, I was extremely disappointed with Witcher 2's shortness and linearity, but this game was huge and fantastic.
:D

And yeah I can't wait for Blood and Wine. I kept secretly hoping they would bring back Regis, my favourite character from the books, and then they did. But first I want to finish Inside (played an hour so far and it is so good, the atmosphere and creepiness of it), then I plan to replay entire TW3 with the new GTX1070 and finish up with Blood and Wine.
And then I will have to find some other saga to sink my teeth into. I will probably finally start the Dark Tower that has been gathering dust on my shelf.

Soldato
My bad, I was in Warsaw just before my Japanese exam back then and must've had a terrible time lapse, I feel like it's been weeks. The rest of my post still stands so you can either follow your own advice and give it a rest ffs or keep at it.

Cheers

gets aggressive, makes up accusations, throws insults around, makes up the point about me necroing a post...'doesn't care' yet keeps banging on.... and tells me to give it a rest?

IH4fZyxm.gif.jpg

I know you cant see this, but i'm about to walk away from my pc, shaking my head as I do so.

Last edited:
Soldato
And then I will have to find some other saga to sink my teeth into. I will probably finally start the Dark Tower that has been gathering dust on my shelf.

Just finished The Gunslinger myself. It is...good. Yes good, maybe even very good. Not your typical series though! I'm not particularly a fan of King's writing style but the overall set up is intriguing.

Soldato
OP
Just finished The Gunslinger myself. It is...good. Yes good, maybe even very good. Not your typical series though! I'm not particularly a fan of King's writing style but the overall set up is intriguing.

I actually haven't read anything by King yet so I have no idea what he is like, but a friend of mine told me its a must read, so I ordered the whole series with few extra books...so for the next year or so I will be busy. Glad to see you liked the first book, hopefully my impression will be similar.

Soldato
I have to say I am also genuinely surprised someone who is a massive fan of TW2 could be disappointed with TW3 :) But I guess it can happen sometimes. But it's kinda amusing how differently can different people see the same thing. For example when I go from here to, say rpgcodex, the latest post in Witcher 3 topic there is

:D

And yeah I can't wait for Blood and Wine. I kept secretly hoping they would bring back Regis, my favourite character from the books, and then they did. But first I want to finish Inside (played an hour so far and it is so good, the atmosphere and creepiness of it), then I plan to replay entire TW3 with the new GTX1070 and finish up with Blood and Wine.

Regis is great, probably my favourite character in the entire game.

Soldato
gets aggressive, makes up accusations, throws insults around, makes up the point about me necroing a post...'doesn't care' yet keeps banging on.... and tells me to give it a rest?

IH4fZyxm.gif.jpg

I know you cant see this, but i'm about to walk away from my pc, shaking my head as I do so.

I've already apologised for the necroing mistake. Insults and accusations? Jeez...
My bad, I'll let you have the last word since you're apparently such a petulant child that you just won't give up without throwing a hissy fit and banging on about how I've gravely "insulted" you in my response to your cheeky post.

Drop me a PM if you have any further problems with my insolent behaviour.

Soldato
you're apparently such a petulant child that you just won't give up without throwing a hissy fit and banging on

Yes, yes its me doing that. I see it all so clearly now. No offense Amatsubu but no PM is going to solve your issues, that's down to you.

james.miller said:
And for all your not caring, Amatsubu, you are sure going on a bit. Nobody wants to change your opinion as you claim, nobody has said TW3 is flawless as you inferred. You are making that up. At the end of the day we all have our opinions and we've all aired them. If you cant have a sensible discussion without the aggressive undertones and insult throwing then just move on. It's not worth getting so worked up about it.

Last edited:
Soldato
How many hours has everyone sunk into this?

I've just entered my 90th hour, with the main game and hearts of stone completed 100% not sure how far through blood and wine i am, but I'm guessing over half way through the story....tons of side stuff still to do though.

Easily the best game i've played in the last decade, the last game i remember enjoying this much was guild wars 1 (pre expansions...)

Soldato
OP

I've just entered my 90th hour, with the main game and hearts of stone completed 100% not sure how far through blood and wine i am, but I'm guessing over half way through the story....tons of side stuff still to do though.

Easily the best game i've played in the last decade, the last game i remember enjoying this much was guild wars 1 (pre expansions...)

My first playthrough took 204 hours, although I did all the quests I could find, explored a lot, replayed some quests to see alternative outcomes etc
Then Hearts of Stone took me another 18 hours on top.
Next week I will start my second playthrough and then play B&W..can't wait.

Soldato
Yes, yes its me doing that. I see it all so clearly now. No offense Amatsubu but no PM is going to solve your issues, that's down to you.

Sorry James but I find it quite disturbing how you're still nitpicking and acting all offended, posting stupid memes etc., yet it's only me who's banging on and caring and won't give it a rest. How convenient. Don't want to resolve this over PM? Want to have the last word here because it helps you sleep better at night? Just say so.

I'm sorry for making that disgusting notion of "I don't care what you think" as a response to your respectful and thought-provoking post. All blame is on me, nothing else I can do.

Also, thanks for your concern, I'll consult a psychiatrist ASAP. And I'll send you flowers.

Now you can freely drone on some more, I won't interfere.

Associate

183 so far and just started Blood and Wine:)

Its looking beautiful as well at 1440 on the 1070

Soldato
Took me 161 hours including HoS and B&W. Only have the B&W Gwent quest, a couple of Fists of Fury quests and maybe four or five low-level quests left that I never got around to.

Thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

Back
Top Bottom