• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Associate
Anyone who uses GoG galaxy do you know of any pictures similar to the one in the background when your on the witcher wild hunt page/download screen really want to make a signature using it but cant find the picture or one similar

If you bought the game on Gog you can download a zip of wallpapers. Think that is were they got all there pictures from.

Soldato
Well, there's the rub. Without the money that consoles generate for developers, a lot of these games wouldn't exist. There's a reason why there are virtually zero big-budget PC only titles these days, it's too risky.

Q, would people be happy if CDPR announced they were doing a Rockstar and delaying the PC version for 4-5 months to produce a properly optimised version with the enhanced visuals? Assuming they had the funding to do it of course.

It isn't like that though. This looks to be the same as Watchdogs, the graphics we are seeing in the trailers are THERE and WORKING just turned off for the PC version simply to keep parity with the consoles. That's the kicker.

IF CDPR were not capable of or did not have the funding to create the gameplay trailer graphics, they wouldn't of been in the trailer. The engine is more than capable yet it's been dialed back for no good reason. Granted, the PC gameplay videos out there are impressive and certainly the highest quality, but they aren't close to what was shown in the trailers. I bet you within a week, a hacker will pick apart the code and re-enable all of the trailer graphical features to get it looking like the trailer, just like Watchdogs.

Associate
Just downloaded them, they are rubbish!

Gonna dl the soundtrack next I think. My main download suddenly started oing really fast and finished quite quickly this morning.

I like the one with the big deer monster. Yup I downloaded this morning around 6:30 and it took 20 mins. All set for Monday night.;)

Associate
Option 2: CDPR downgraded the PC version to not make console versions look bad.

Since the option 2 is ridicolous, how can you fault the developers, which didn't really have a choice in this situation?
I'm clearly a fan of The Witcher, and maybe I cannot see what is obvious, please explain.

From what I understand, that is exactly what many people believe happened with watch dogs (since it was possible to re-enable effects disabled by the devs). Once applied the game did look much closer to the E3 2012 demo. It isnt a huge leap to imagine the same trick has been applied here.

Edit: however I am holding off judgement til release for sure.

I also believe the internet is going to absoltuley implode when we see how badly the division has been downgraded lol!

Soldato
I also believe the internet is going to absoltuley implode when we see how badly the division has been downgraded lol!

I think the internet will actually be more likely to implode if The Division is even remotely close to what we were shown in the announce trailer, I'd be very surprised if there's anyone who really believes Ubisoft will actually deliver!!

Who would gain doing something like that? What's the point?
Console gamers that don't know the pc is superior won't even know about it anyway.
It doesn't make sense.

Means more sales on console rather than PC = more profit ;)

Associate
If you wanna finish by 3s release date you are better jumping straight into 2. Witcher 1 is pretty long but worth a play through if you have the time

Start with 1 then play 2, you don't have to start 3 on day 1 of release if you don't get much gaming time to finish the first 2.

Thanks, I haven't bought Witcher 3 so I'll just enjoy the first two games before I do. I picked them up for next to nothing in a sale a while ago anyway :).

Associate
Means more sales on console rather than PC = more profit ;)
You really believe that?
They Own GoG, they want to push the platform (especially with Galaxy coming out, just in time for the game). The Witcher 3 is their Half Life 2.

The game is also quite expensive for a PC game, plus on console you have to pay royalties. Look for another reason ;)

Soldato
You really believe that?
They Own GoG, they want to push the platform (especially with Galaxy coming out, just in time for the game). The Witcher 3 is their Half Life 2.

The game is also quite expensive for a PC game, plus on console you have to pay royalties. Look for another reason ;)

Microsoft and Sony are probably dishing out heavy financial incentives to ensure their respective platforms stay relevant. This is done by focusing development on console, of course, but also hobbling the PC versions so potential customers will go "meh, not worth buying/upgrading a PC for, I will just get a console". Which is the exact response some people have exhibited in this thread (and in other places too).

Ergo they get more console sales and thus the devs get more units of their game sold. It really isn't that hard to grasp when you look at it in terms of a symbiotic relationship. The PC crowd is simply not big enough to matter to most devs any more so they are likely in bed with the console proprietors who know their hardware is lacking but cannot afford for it to do badly in sales. They have the financial clout to buy off devs and pubs in the same way devs and pubs buy off the review sites. It is just one big circle.

In a microcosm, just look at how many copies of GTAV went up for sale in the console section of the MM shortly after the PC version was released! ;)

Oh and why does them owning GoG mean a lot? It is a site that predominantly caters for cheap, old games (IE money for old rope).

Associate
They timed the Galaxy Client with the launch of The Witcher 3, like Steam did with Half Life 2.
GoG is growing and changing, it doesn't stand anymore for Good Old Games. A game sold on GoG means 100% of the profits, it's huge. As a long term strategy pushing Galaxy is the best thing for them.
I still don't get how you can believe they would gain anything in selling more for consoles. Also because they won't, The Witcher has a cult following on PC and that's where they will make most of the money.

P.S. All I'm saying is that the "downgrade" has logistical reasons, not any negative behavior toward the master race.

Soldato
Look at this blatant dodging of the question regarding graphics from their community manager:

Damage control at its finest. Funny how they're still denying everything since virtually every Polish review I've read mentioned a significant graphics downgrade and the game looking rather inconsistent.

Back
Top Bottom