• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
Without consoles PC gaming wouldn't be where it is now, it would be quite a bit further back, with worse graphics and probably higher prices.

Consoles aren't throttling anything, they are inanimate objects. Blame developers for being lazy, not consoles.

But when the graphics are there, just simply being switched off by the developers to create parity with the consoles, what's your answer? Or another apologist looking to dodge the real concerns and laugh at the people who don't think it's right?

Soldato
But when the graphics are there, just simply being switched off by the developers to create parity with the consoles, what's your answer? Or another apologist looking to dodge the real concerns and laugh at the people who don't think it's right?

The hell are you talking about? What do you think my answer is? Did the console switch those graphics settings off, or was it the developer?

Associate
Ok,ps4 stream game plays great, quests are very well done, visually you have always been able to tinker with visual settings even if ini files and texture updates or sweetfx etc.

This is still going to be a great game by the looks of it.

Associate
madness! dont you know by most posters its the worst catastrophe ever!

snip

Indeed. What do these people do when something truly serious happens?

The amount of posts on this subject - not here so much - is mind numbing.

The saying "get a life" has never been so true.

I've just watched the vid (well bits of it to avoid being spoiled) of someone traversing one area via the towns, and think it looks amazing. I can't wait.

Associate
Indeed. What do these people do when something truly serious happens?

The amount of posts on this subject - not here so much - is mind numbing.

The saying "get a life" has never been so true.

I've just watched the vid (well bits of it to avoid being spoiled) of someone traversing one area via the towns, and think it looks amazing. I can't wait.

I think it looks amazing too and that's on ps4. If it looks the same on pc but it smoother I will be over the moon. We are only paying around £20 for it too unlike console owners. It around £50 for them.

Associate
We are only paying around £20 for it too unlike console owners. It around £50 for them.

Aye, but I'm grabbing it on PS4 first, and paying the price :(

I'm am really interested in the PC version, once I've upgraded the GPU and done some cleaning - my drives are almost full - I will be double dipping... unless I hate it of course.

I looking forward to the PC screenshots.

Soldato
I think it looks amazing too and that's on ps4. If it looks the same on pc but it smoother I will be over the moon. We are only paying around £20 for it too unlike console owners. It around £50 for them.

I'm just getting back into PC games after years on console. Can you sell a PC game? Console games retain value. Do you need to link PC games through steam or whatever?

Associate
I'm just getting back into PC games after years on console. Can you sell a PC game? Console games retain value. Do you need to link PC games through steam or whatever?

Yup all pc games link to Steam, Origin, Uplay Gog etc these days, There again keys are so cheap there would be no resale value anyway. In the last week or so I got Mortal Kombat x £12 and The Witcher 3 for £22. Sooooo Cheap !!!

Soldato
Without consoles PC gaming wouldn't be where it is now, it would be quite a bit further back, with worse graphics and probably higher prices.

Consoles aren't throttling anything, they are inanimate objects. Blame developers for being lazy, not consoles.

Dat pedantry! You know exactly what I mean.

They are mutually inclusive.

I am also not convinced that if it wasn't for consoles PC gaming wouldn't be as advanced as it is today. We didn't have issues with brilliant PC releases 15-20 years ago and the development and upgrade cycles for hardware and standards (IE PCI, IDE, AGP, USB etc) was also regular. Gaming releases were healthy and very good value for money. The quality of the output, support and overall community was leagues ahead of where it is today. But back then games were made for the love of gaming, not necessarily to make money. They were properly tested and worked as intended and crucially they were built to last.

It is an inescapable fact that the design and development focus is on consoles, which are using dated and less capable technology compared to that of PCs. The end result is a more focused maximization of the platforms potential (IE coding to the metal of a single specification). However, when that maximum potential is still lagging behind what even modest gaming PCs can replicate it begs the question of what could be achieved if the consoles were more capable and is their lack of capability having a restrictive impact on the freedom of game developers to really put out titles of the kind quality they want? IE - if they had designed the game solely for the PC would it be better overall ? We have focused mainly on the graphics in this thread, but it also involves many design elements of games.

We have already seen they couldn't do what they wanted with Watch Dogs because the console platforms couldn't keep up. But the PC could. This divide will only get worse as the next few years roll on and consoles remain pretty static.

The technology is there to use in PCs, yet as we saw with Watch Dogs, for whatever reason the developers are not utilising it for the PC market.

The key question is why?

Call it tin foil hat but I strongly suspect it has something to do with financial incentives from the console proprietors. Or a fundamental lack of any care about the PC market by the devs/pubs. Or both. The end result is that the technically more capable platform becomes increasingly irrelevant and I think that is a real shame because I genuinely feel gaming could be so much more if devs/pubs took risks with edgy and innovative design rather than playing it safe for the easy $$$'s.

I hope that with the release of GTAV on the PC R* can nurture a new trend of enhanced releases for the PC market because, after all said and done, PC gamers need love too! ;)

Associate
I find it both amazing and odd that people here are surprised to see gamers on an ethusiast pc website are a little upset by the possibility a game they have been looking forward to, and possibily even spent big money on hardware to play, have POSSIBLY been let down by the game developer.

I don't think anyone here is remotely comparing it to an actual disaster, people are doing what people do on forums, debating with the occasional rant.

Associate
I think he was referring to redlines comment about people needing to get a life. Ya know because if you complain about a game on a game forum. You clearly have no life.

As I said, I not talking about here for the most part. Have you read some of pages and pages of stuff on this downgrade subject? Some (well a lot actually) is bordering of lunacy... I just skim it BTW as reading it all would mean I need to get a life :D

Everyone can see the final version does not match the earlier previews, and its right to ask why, in sensible terms.. but a lot goes beyond, and is just conspiracy theory dross.

The fact is the game looks amazing, and from the reviews plays amazing too.. so I don't get the angst.

Soldato
I think he was referring to redlines comment about people needing to get a life. Ya know because if you complain about a game on a game forum. You clearly have no life.

Clearly. But when you complain on a game forum about people complaining about a game on said forum, you clearly do and you have all the right to feel superior;p

Soldato
The hell are you talking about? What do you think my answer is? Did the console switch those graphics settings off, or was it the developer?

And you think that's okay?

I find it both amazing and odd that people here are surprised to see gamers on an ethusiast pc website are a little upset by the possibility a game they have been looking forward to, and possibily even spent big money on hardware to play, have POSSIBLY been let down by the game developer.

I don't think anyone here is remotely comparing it to an actual disaster, people are doing what people do on forums, debating with the occasional rant.

Aye, plenty of downies trying to make it sound like the annoyed users are dedicating their entire lives to this and not just 2 minutes on a forum occasionally, just to sweep what's going on under the rug to appear like their lives are too interesting for such matters, Kappa as it gets.

Now ban me pls

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom