The Witcher series (Netflix)

Caporegime
Yes they're in fact doing a book every episode, it's quite impressive.

I just love the complaints about there being other characters and it's not just Geralt wandering around saying **** every episode. It's like complaining GoT wasn't just Jon Snow on screen every episode.

I mean...game of thrones wasn't about John snow. The witcher is about...oh yeah...the witcher.

Soldato
The final couple of episodes were disappointing, the earlier in this season were a bit hit and miss.

Regardless I think that's me done with the show, so that's one less reason to hand any money over to Netflix.

Caporegime
It's not an unreasonable assumption though, is it? Whether you've read the books or not is completely irrelevant as I'd guess the vast majority haven't. So their disappointment isn't exactly unfounded.
If I hadn't read the material I wouldn't be trying to tell anyone what the material is about.

Caporegime
...I'm not sure if you're serious.

There are quite a lot of characters in The Hobbit that aren't actually hobbits.
Mission Impossible actually features missions that are regularly achieved

Do I need to go on?

No, but the hobbit follows bilbo. It doesn't really deviate away other than for short periods.
It doesn't for example have an entire episode devoted to the necromancer.

Soldato
I don't think it's an unfair complaint/comment. A show called 'The Witcher' then doesn't have a lot of The Witcher in it. It's a little like the comments around 'Boba Fett' then being based mainly around the Mandolorian.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if it was still good TV... but...
Did I miss the bit where the girl who was brainwashed into thinking she was Ciri that Geralt and his werewolf/witch friends were trying to cure escaped? As in how did she end up in Nilfgard to be presented as Ciri? Or was that not actually her and another one that looked like her and I'm just mixed up again.
Yeah, although you could see it coming with the way they weren't showing her face, I didn't really understand it as the wizard guy knew Ciri, right? He'd just been talking to her? So he knew it wasn't actually her, didn't he?

Caporegime
Yeah they should have named the show The Witcher and friends, I'm sure people would have been much happier. There are plenty of vaild complaints about this show but people are complaining about the dumbest things. Can you imagine a five book series with Geralt and no other characters just running around killing monsters and getting paid? It would be boring as ****

Associate
I don't think it's an unfair complaint/comment. A show called 'The Witcher' then doesn't have a lot of The Witcher in it. It's a little like the comments around 'Boba Fett' then being based mainly around the Mandolorian.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if it was still good TV... but...

Yeah, although you could see it coming with the way they weren't showing her face, I didn't really understand it as the wizard guy knew Ciri, right? He'd just been talking to her? So he knew it wasn't actually her, didn't he?
Yes, wizard guy knew. It was him doing all the experiments/his plan to create the 'other Ciri's' so he's just enacting his master plan by having her there. Unless I missed something else and it was some other mage did this evil experiementing, which is quite possible.

What I didn't get was how that particular girl got there as, unless I was mistaken this was the same girl Geralt rescued from the cave and was trying to cure.

Soldato
You often see this retort from the 'wokey brigade' when comparing the witcher books and the tv show, the main issue is that Geralt is clearly the protagonist in the early books with Ciri being a secondary character, it's not until the later books that the focus shifts to Ciri. The yennifer love in that the tv show has adopted is entirely made up, she is nowhere near as much of a main character in the universe.

Yeah they should have named the show The Witcher and friends, I'm sure people would have been much happier. There are plenty of vaild complaints about this show but people are complaining about the dumbest things. Can you imagine a five book series with Geralt and no other characters just running around killing monsters and getting paid? It would be boring as ****
Well, firstly no one has asked for that, nice strawman. Secondly, a proper monster of the week show with the focus on Geralt and an over-arcing storyline involving Ciri would have been excellent.

Caporegime
You often see this retort from the 'wokey brigade' when comparing the witcher books and the tv show, the main issue is that Geralt is clearly the protagonist in the early books with Ciri being a secondary character, it's not until the later books that the focus shifts to Ciri. The yennifer love in that the tv show has adopted is entirely made up, she is nowhere near as much of a main character in the universe.

Well, firstly no one has asked for that, nice strawman. Secondly, a proper monster of the week show with the focus on Geralt and an over-arcing storyline involving Ciri would have been excellent.
Is there even a viable market for X of the week at this point? Only the cringe DC universe on The CW network bothered with it as far as I know and they've recently canned it all.

Personally see no reason why Yennefer or anyone else can't be a bigger personality in a cinematic portrayal of the Witcher universe other than the constant, now extremely boring lament that it's 'not like the books'.

Soldato
Is there even a viable market for X of the week at this point? Only the cringe DC universe on The CW network bothered with it as far as I know and they've recently canned it all.
Cringe CW dc shows that were synonymous with woke and terrible writing you mean? Guess they've got a lot in common with the witcher then eh.
Personally see no reason why Yennefer or anyone else can't be a bigger personality in a cinematic portrayal of the Witcher universe other than the constant, now extremely boring lament that it's 'not like the books'.
You've just had 3 series of the witcher that had yennifer and others as a big part of the 'story' how's that panned out?
Not like the books, except when it is like the books and then they don't want it to be like the books.
We can only wish tv shows followed the stories already laid out for them instead of interjecting their god awful ideology and changing what's already there.

Back
Top Bottom