theHunter: Call of the Wild

Associate
Just a summary of the last session if anyone is interested:

I was intending to go over to the place I saw quite a lot of Red deer a few days ago, so I left camp and was about to head west-southwest towards the lake.
within around 20 metres or so of setting off I heard a Bison call, so I instantly crouched down and stopped, turned to their direction and within about 50 metres I saw two on the other side of some trees so I aimed and press fire.....click. Doh! amateur mistake, ran out of .270 ammo last session.

Grabbed the .243 and luckily managed to down the first one but I took 5 shots.
518790_20170506151305_1_zpsie6fka4g.png

The second one took 2 shots of the .243 and although I had to track it I was able to claim it.

518790_20170506152108_1_zpsx3btg3pe.png

Claimed them and set off back for plenty of ammo.:o
On the way back there was a 3rd Bison which I managed to get.
518790_20170506151427_1_zpsks3cqc8c.png

Again within metres of setting off on my travels I heard a call from a fox, so I crouched and went over to a nearby rock and lay down and called with the caller.
There was little chance of the fox falling for my call as it was downwind from me.
I called again and waited for a minute or so then heard a warning call, moments later a fox trotted away at about 2 o'clock from me.

518790_20170506154218_1_zps5nhhyfzb.png

That shot startled another fox who ran across heading the other way so I took a shot and missed, took another and got it too.

518790_20170506154240_1_zps68pnlxdz.png

Can see other Fox in the background:
518790_20170506154156_1_zpsrwkgv8b5.png

Considering I came on the game to travel to a lake to the south west and ended up downing two Bison and two Red Fox and managed to get this far from the Cabin in the wrong direction is just typical of this game. :cool:

Then, just as I was taking the picture of the cabin in the background I get a warning call from what turns out to be a female Roe deer.
I turned and walked to the crest of the hill a few metres away and crouched with Binoculars I saw a Male Red Deer coming out from the trees, as I fired a female ran from below and out of sight and it would seem that it was the Roe deer warning calls had attracted the attention of the male too. Was he being nosy or was he looking to have his way with another species.;)

The male lies here but before I go down for it I tried to lure the female back with the caller.
20170506154503_1_zpsrhvpzmid.jpg

It worked...
518790_20170506154702_1_zps9nahzvdj.png

Here they are both together, female further down the dirt path...

518790_20170506154840_1_zpssug84ypx.png

518790_20170506155449_1_zpsf34lpt3o.png

As I went over to claim the Roe Deer, some 2 or 3 Red deer further away were startled and ran off.
I went over and lay on a rock patiently and they both came back up the hill to were they seemed to want to hang out under some trees, got two of them and I think I shot and injured the third but couldn't find any tracks.

518790_20170506161056_1_zpsxieslzb8.png

Still not bad for a "quick session"

Oh, and this is where I was supposed to be going (Bohndorf)
to where I ended up.:D

518790_20170506161458_1_zps4rcghy8f.png

Soldato
I've been playing this for a while now and love it. I still think erecting the hunting stands/hides is pointless though, and the skill levels required for some of the equipment is ludicrous.

Soldato
I essentially stopped playing the original hunter mainly because I didnt like the subscription/season pass type side of it. (Aswell as less spare time)

Whilst I hope this doesn't turn into a DLC fest, I don't actually mind the odd small extra here and there if I feel it adds something to the game for me, and helps keep them in business and able to keep making games in the future, if it doesn't then I won't buy it.
Sometimes DLC can increase the longevity of a game to stop it getting tiresome.
Same here. I found it hugely off-putting that the hunting licenses I bought in the original Hunter expired, and they weren't cheap. I put about £30 into the game total and haven't touched it in years.

If they add extra animals to hunt in this, extra reserves, weapons etc, I'll happily pay a reasonable amount to support further development. The difference is that nothing in this game expires.

Soldato
I went walkies tonight and realised the sheer scale of the reserve (Pacific). It's absolutely huge. I climbed up mount lethian (sp) towards the southern ridge and found a lovely huge bowl shaped arena which served up many easy one hit kills as I could lie down and shoot my quarry from above.

Now how do I use the tent thing or even buy it? I bought the dlc but can't find it in game.

Associate
Guys I'm new too this game around 2 hours in , Can someone who plays this game advise me on where I should be aiming when I shoot ? I just seem to aim for the head lol - Should I be aiming for the heart ? also I seem too be walking for ages too get to places , any way too avoid this ?

Caporegime
OP
you aim for vital shots.so lungs/heart mainly but other shots will put animals down.neck/spine/back of head.you wouldnt shoot in real life head shots one because of the antlers are the prize so you wouldnt damage them.2 many animals skulls are pretty hard like moose.

side on aim just after front leg armpit/rib cage area.there is a small crease.often lung or heart or both.
front on mid chest.neck if accurate.back of head.which while not prefered is a good kill shot.

to discover places or lodges quicker. go to the look out points which are marked as binoculars on the map.i have videos for most of the stuff in the game in my first youtube signature.update it regular.

Associate
also I seem too be walking for ages too get to places , any way too avoid this ?

Once you claim the lodges you can fast travel there by clicking the house icon on the map of the ones you've claimed.

"G" makes you move automatically.
"Caps lock" toggles run/move quickly (works in crouch and prone too) but be aware of extra sounds you will make.
Hold "Shift" to run/move quickly also.

Soldato
Does anyone play this with a 7.1 headset? If so does it give accurate aural indication of where animals are?

Am currently using plain vanilla Sony cans and the sound placement is all over the place. I'm constantly turning around when I hear sounds as there is no real indication given.

Soldato
I play this at 1440p ultra on a gtx 1080 and obviously it can't handle 60fps. Changing shadows from ultra to medium (...I know) has at least now given me a solid 60fps.

Better hope Volta can cope with 1440p!!!

Soldato
I play this at 1440p ultra on a gtx 1080 and obviously it can't handle 60fps. Changing shadows from ultra to medium (...I know) has at least now given me a solid 60fps.

Better hope Volta can cope with 1440p!!!

I've got a 1080 and play at 1440p full ultra with everything maxed and I get between 64fps and 75fps. Never dips below 60.

What's the rest of your system look like? I have a mildly overclocked 7700K with 16gb RAM

Soldato
I've got a 1080 and play at 1440p full ultra with everything maxed and I get between 64fps and 75fps. Never dips below 60.

What's the rest of your system look like? I have a mildly overclocked 7700K with 16gb RAM

Ditto.

I have had it as low as 45! It probably averages over 60 but doesn't hold 60 by any means.

Soldato
Then something else is to blame I think
Well that's interesting I have a 1080, 7700k, 16gb ram @ 3400 and erm all ssd system.

But my benchmarks are consistent with other similar systems and other games run as expected.

Perhaps I'd better check for dsr in nvidia settings.

Soldato
Does anyone play this with a 7.1 headset? If so does it give accurate aural indication of where animals are?

Am currently using plain vanilla Sony cans and the sound placement is all over the place. I'm constantly turning around when I hear sounds as there is no real indication given.
I'll answer my own question lol.

I bought a pair of Sennheiser GSP 350 cans and the sound quality has improved hugely. Individual sounds are now crisp and clear and can be easily differentiated. As for directional sound it's better but not a panacea.

Caporegime
OP
new update today for this they added a shooting range.very useful for getting the bullet drop down at range.also you can have comps with friends who play in mp. which can be a great laugh.

Soldato
Hmm I wish they'd sort the F1 read more 'bug' first! Also had two crash to desktops tonight. It seems two steps forward one step back.

Soldato
for those of you who play call of the wild a new reserve is in the works and trailer just launched.looks stunning.

Omg that looks absolutely gorgeous! I cannot believe how good they can get this engine to look! The current game is amazing enough and runs like a dream for me. I can't wait for this. Will that be paid DLC?

Caporegime
OP
the map dlc is about 7 dollars on steam but if your friend or a mp person owns it you can play on thier map for free without owning the dlc.which is a nice touch.they also done that with quad bikes.

Back
Top Bottom