theHunter: Call of the Wild

Soldato
Just picked this up. Its brilliant so far, perfect for taking a break away from competitive shooters etc. Only killed 3 deer so far, all of them seem to walk right in front of me! I wounded one but I lost his trail.
Do you guys have any tips for a noob like me? I've never played anything like it.

Most of my kills come from simply wandering around and reacting to animal calls. Occasionally I'll track an animal from it's footprints, but when I see droppings that aren't very fresh I'll leave it. I don't really bother building the hunting stands anymore, can't see the point to be honest.

Soldato
Most of my kills come from simply wandering around and reacting to animal calls. Occasionally I'll track an animal from it's footprints, but when I see droppings that aren't very fresh I'll leave it. I don't really bother building the hunting stands anymore, can't see the point to be honest.
That's good to know. I kind of liked the idea of camping out and using bait to lure them in but if it doesn't work then i wont waste my time.

Caporegime
OP
i would do missions and listen to the tutorial while learning.also if you look for the bino places on the map they are look out towers which will often so you lodge locations when near.once you have the lodge unlocked you can spawn there or fast travel to that location.

i have all the items guns unlocked now.

Soldato
Still cant set windowed mode, I had two cracking shots and I can't show them? Fraps, MSI AB does nothing.

More or less the same, but EVERYTHING is earned in game, via progression. 2 huge maps to explore at your will, with fast travel from outposts. Rifles, shotguns, bows are in, different ammo for each etc.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks guys. What is the best way to make money?

i shot loads of female deer for a start then when you unlock locations near big lakes there is loads of animals often near.when you get the more powerful guns you can soon rack up huge amounts of money.also doing missions.

Soldato
I was tracking this deer for like 15 minutes, no joke I thought the game had bugged out or something lol. Then found this herd.
f0dxkg.jpg
Naturally I went for the biggest
[SPOILER="Kill"
aovt41.jpg
[/SPOILER]

I subsequently went on to kill the whole herd. Loadsa money!

Soldato
Still cant set windowed mode, I had two cracking shots and I can't show them? Fraps, MSI AB does nothing.

More or less the same, but EVERYTHING is earned in game, via progression. 2 huge maps to explore at your will, with fast travel from outposts. Rifles, shotguns, bows are in, different ammo for each etc.

Are you using TeamViewer? If I don't close TeamViewer down, the virtual adapter that it creates causes havoc with theHunter. I can't full-screen or window it, and the window is off-centre.

Soldato
I have a question about tracking. I'm only level 5, haven't played a huge amount, but I seem to have tremendous trouble actually locating an animal once I've shot it. I follow the blood stains for what seems like forever, but never actually seem to get closer to the animal that I'm tracking. I must have spent about 30 minutes last night tracking the same animal, and gave up in the end because I found it actually quicker to just get a clean kill on an animal that drops right then and there. It's really putting me off going for the longer-distance shots to be honest. So I thought I'd post up here for some help.

When you track using the bloodstain, are there any suggestions as to when to bother tracking or to leave it? Like, if the blood loss is minimal, is it simply not worth trying to find that animal as it isn't hindered by the wound? What about in terms of chasing it down? I tend to then sprint after the animal, as this is what you'd think you'd have to do to chase down something you've wounded, but is it better to locate the bloodstain and then move slowly after the animal, making it less likely to spook them if they're nearby? Or is it necessary to be able to read from the tracks how fast the animal was moving in that direction and then determine how fast I move from that? Tracking is obviously a big part of the game but I can't seem to find any guides on what I should and shouldn't be doing. The only stuff I can find relates to the original game from years back. I guess the principle is the same but it mentions about how you can naturally level up your tracking ability, but I don't think Call of the Wild works this way.

Many thanks to all who are able to help me out.

Associate
I have a question about tracking. I'm only level 5, haven't played a huge amount, but I seem to have tremendous trouble actually locating an animal once I've shot it. I follow the blood stains for what seems like forever, but never actually seem to get closer to the animal that I'm tracking. I must have spent about 30 minutes last night tracking the same animal, and gave up in the end because I found it actually quicker to just get a clean kill on an animal that drops right then and there. It's really putting me off going for the longer-distance shots to be honest. So I thought I'd post up here for some help.

When you track using the bloodstain, are there any suggestions as to when to bother tracking or to leave it? Like, if the blood loss is minimal, is it simply not worth trying to find that animal as it isn't hindered by the wound? What about in terms of chasing it down? I tend to then sprint after the animal, as this is what you'd think you'd have to do to chase down something you've wounded, but is it better to locate the bloodstain and then move slowly after the animal, making it less likely to spook them if they're nearby? Or is it necessary to be able to read from the tracks how fast the animal was moving in that direction and then determine how fast I move from that? Tracking is obviously a big part of the game but I can't seem to find any guides on what I should and shouldn't be doing. The only stuff I can find relates to the original game from years back. I guess the principle is the same but it mentions about how you can naturally level up your tracking ability, but I don't think Call of the Wild works this way.

Many thanks to all who are able to help me out.
You need the perk that tells you the blood loss of the animal (forget the name) it will give you an idea how badly wounded the animal is for example find a blood spot click it & in the top right corner of the screen it will give you a percentage of blood/health of the animal then go to the next few spot & see if the percentage falls if it stalls for a few on the same percentage you know it is not a kill shot.
As for how fast to move after shooting I'd say you should let them run on a bit before making to much noise as they will just continue to run however this does mean that you may miss out on a second shot.
For long shots you may need a larger calibre round than usual for that type of animal the starting rifle is only really for deer & smaller game but at long range even for them you should go up to the .270 to be safe if you don't get a vital hit.

Caporegime
OP
yes as you new to playing you will only have a small calibre gun. so shots have to be vitals for them to go down in any sort of close range vacinity.bigger animals and a .243 and vitals will still often end in a 5/10 minute tracking expedition but as you level up your perks/skills you can unlock better tracking and it does get easier. its just part of learning the game.

also as you get the more powerful rifles you wont have to run forever if you place a vital shot.placing the shots is very important.vital shots are side on in the armpit just aften front leg area.back of head/neck.heart shots/lung shots.you can tell by the amount of blood you find.if its a bit of a drop its often a flesh wound so you gunna be tracking it for a long while.if it looks like someones spilt a bucket of red paint it should be down very close :D

with the big guns like the 7mm and the .338 rangemaster you can drop animals dead on the spot even at distance. if you interested you should look at the .338 in action on youtube :p some of the long shots are crazy and the power it has.

Associate
Game does look amazing but its more Walking Simulator than anything else. Got bored of it very quickly before they decided to patch so many of the bugs.

Back
Top Bottom