This Business and Moment...

Seems to be everywhere these days. Very few people take personal responsibility, have any conscientiousness or care unless forced to.

Not that I expect anything more than the minimum with the pay and conditions in many workplaces but so many don't even do that.

Today I was being shown some directories with technical resources for the team I've been moved to. Technical documentation.

I noted the first folder was obviously badly misspelt and no one on the entire team had corrected it in 12 months.

Another one was folders named with month, Year so they don't order chronologically.

If they can't get the small stuff right....

Last edited:
Today I was being shown some directories with technical resources for the team I've been moved to. Technical documentation.

I noted the first folder was obviously badly misspelt and no one on the entire team had corrected it in 12 months.

Another one was folders named with month, Year so they don't order chronologically.

If they can't get the small stuff right....
Nothing better than a new person coming in and bullishly fixing irrelevant things that create havoc :D

I had a new PMO join and he rearranged the SharePoint 'because it was messy', which probably lost about 20 days of effort.

Nothing better than a new person coming in and bullishly fixing irrelevant things that create havoc :D

I had a new PMO join and he rearranged the SharePoint 'because it was messy', which probably lost about 20 days of effort.

One of my (many) roles is Sharepoint admin and I've lost count how many sites I've had to fix due to insane organisation. File names so long they exceed the limits of the URL. They create folder structures so bad they can find nothing...and they've broken the search.

Last edited:
So Friday was interesting - I had a convo with one of the operating company SLT about planning forward - moving the replica of my stuff to their operating company.

Firstly they've been told by their CEO they can't have any new toys until they fix the old ones and they're reliable (their board is sick that there's so much noise due to serious operational problems - down to lack of investment).

Second is it appears there's a desire to carve out about 70% of their new staff from my teams, leaving me with a skeleton. Joy but not unexpected. It has all the hall marks of a non-agreed plan that's been around for a while but which nobody actually discussed with me. This certainly explains the pressure for all the team to be autonomous.. kind of like someone is hedging their bets that they can simply lift and shift all the teams and leave me high and dry.. it also explains why I'm not in the loop as it would essentially make my role redundant if that happened.
Now if they split the teams then I'm still here with smaller teams. It just feels like there's no specific plan, just everything is in flux and any plan is simply organic in people's head. Given the flux people won't commit to a plan or be held accountable for it.

Meanwhile the operating company CDIO is leaving in October. Everyone will be on their best behaviour for at least 3 months.. so if it's really going to kick off it's going to be January. In fact the majority of the pressure to diverge is from the outgoing CDIO.

Every organisation I've been in has at least a plan for the year. This has such a rotten core IT that entire budgets are taken up just plugging the holes in the good ship Titanic.

Last edited:
Organisations have less and less in terms of proper planning and strategy these days, despite more and more talk and waffle day-to-day. I think people are just outright scared to take proper ownership and responsibility for anything these days. It’s a sad state of affairs. Every contract I’ve been on has been like it and the last couple of perm roles actually.

I made a joke a out that today- in an emergency call that breaks our sprint to sort out their mess.
It sucks being in the group company - the operating companies hate us but we’re dropping everything to help sort their mess out.
Such is life - only monday.. :D

It’s a combination of Yes Prime minister and dilbert..

I formally assume my new role internally today... and to my surprise the team based on the US now report to me.

I say surprise because the last conversation I had with my new manager (a couple of weeks ago), was that they weren't sure what the new org structure would be... amd hence the team wouldn't initially report to me, but keep reporting to them.

Funnily my new team were told they would report to me, but the manager failed to tell me.

Last edited:
Put my interest forward for a new role within my organisation. Slightly different location (2 minutes from where I am now) and would work out at about a 14k payrise which take home is another £700 ish a month. I do enjoy my current role, but the guy I share an office with is retiring soon and we get along really well.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (although the role is perhaps a little beyond where I currently am). Nice situation to be in though.

Last edited:
so my helpful and friendly peer outgoing nemisis dropped at 1530 this after noon that he wants a restructure done by 19th.. which is an impossible task.. so I ping out boss that so happens to be back on the 20th and he didn’t sound happy he’s been given the mushroom treatment by the CTO and my peer whom he left in charge.. so he’s trying to engraciate himself with his new bosses without actually including me who is the accountable person.. only for it all get cocked up.
Anyway.. looks like I’m going to have to be a right barsteward and step in to sort out the mess.

I was talking talking to a collegaue as they happen to mention it’s all very odd behaviour and lack of communications.

Interesting first week in my new role...

1) On my new boss's management meeting, they threw f. bombs at my previous manager - saying that the only thing they did was complain about things, but didn't actually want to do any of the work to fix things.

2) On Friday, I get copied into a long email exchange between my boss, and my previous manager - where my new boss ends it with "Can you (me) just go and fix the mess my ex-manager is making"

Me and my ex manager are now the same level in my new boss's team, however I have the remit over everything that is done by the whole global team... whereas my ex managers's remit just whatever they are working on.

Last edited:
New findings in from a new inspection report.. unlike previously where it had masses (and I mean masses), this year we have 9. One closed already so the remaining 8 are nothing todo with us.. it seems we're the darling child product set in the eyes of the CEOs as we have sorted out a whole heap of issues.. Even our most picky/difficult CISO actually said thank you in the steerco due to impact this was having. They are also seeing just how big this is as they attempt to create their own version of it (using us initially to support). We're not perfect but compared to before we're setting a bar for the rest of the programmes and deliveries to achieve.

The only thing with being the CEOs favourite IT product family of the moment... one CEO has signed off a purchase for new tooling to use AI/analytics to solve some of the major legacy stability issues - even bypassing procurement's usual process to unlock their indefinite company wide change freeze.. guess who has to integrate it under the hood... well the sprint and roadmap just gave way to saving the business again.

In other news I'm having to sort out some of the ways of working with a different departments supplier.. where the individual agreed the way forward only to switch companies to take a new role.. but failed to tell or get agreement with their supplier of staff..

Interesting first week in my new role...
1) On my new boss's management meeting, they threw f. bombs at my previous manager - saying that the only thing they did was complain about things, but didn't actually want to do any of the work to fix things.
2) On Friday, I get copied into a long email exchange between my boss, and my previous manager - where my new boss ends it with "Can you (me) just go and fix the mess my ex-manager is making"

Me and my ex manager are now the same level in my new boss's team, however I have the remit over everything that is done by the whole global team... whereas my ex managers's remit just whatever they are working on.
Hehe I know that feeling.
I remember one CTO boss saying to me - "just a warning you're getting a new (adopt) service". First question I asked "Does it have operational budget?". His response "That's just a problem we'll have to solve.". Turns out this service didn't have operational budget.. it also didn't have a risk signoff for an external service component that they'd used in two full services that were live.. I had an sheet of A3 on my desk with a load of mappings to discover this when two risk analysts wonder up to my desk to sort this out, only to find I was ahead and could give them a full picture. I ended up in front of the UK board risk officer giving them the ABC (scope, plan, end picture) which request for a programme manager to drive the work because I wasn't going to have the time... it took him 9 months to solve the issues and finish.

Last edited:
Just doing my company confirmation statement for the year with Companies House. You now have to declare you don't intend breaking the law in future :cry:

I still don't understand the need for these kinds of attestations about law breaking, terrorism, etc.

It's not like someone would ever answer "yes"

Back
Top Bottom