This Business and Moment...

This grind my gears.

We have Governments talking about "We need to bring innovation back to Britain!......British job for British people!" But no....let all the companies outsource to developing nations for cheap work. Scarifying the quality of services in the UK. While making everyone else jump through hoops to get the job done in the UK.

:cry:

Seen an advert on LinkedIn earlier.

30 minutes skills & experience chat
1 hour technical interview with cloud team
1 hour technical interview with development team
1 hour final stage CTO call

And the technical interviews include takeaway based questions to be worked on prior to the interviews.

Not even a senior or lead role either.

:cry:

And the technical interviews include takeaway based questions to be worked on prior to the interviews.

I don't know why companies feel the need to have so many stages for interviews these days :mad:

In the past, I have pulled out of interviews due to so many stages which were pointless and a waste of my time.

I have demonstrated my skills, met the team, met the boss. Why do I need more interviews with you!?!?!

Last edited:

hy do I need more interviews with you!?!?!

From my experience, the hiring company is going to be a relatively small team that will be asking the world of you and want to ensure they get the right fit of employee to the business, as they want someone who is just going to work and work, and work, and work without bothering others or causing a nuisance/leaving anytime before 36 months.

From my experience, the hiring company is going to be a relatively small team that will be asking the world of you and want to ensure they get the right fit of employee to the business, as they want someone who is just going to work and work, and work, and work without bothering others or causing a nuisance/leaving anytime before 36 months.

I get that but the most interview stages Ive had, have been with bigger companies. One was PWC.

I get that but the most interview stages Ive had, have been with bigger companies. One was PWC.
AH right yeah well theres two sides to it.
Looking at Azza's situation, my initial reply is what I suspect what happens.

For larger companies like PWC (interview there myself) and others such as the banks and canary wharf lot.
The interview process seems similar, how much can they put you through and you still want to work here?
Some roles require that level of interviews, most do not. Its the company practises and how they operate which means they need such a heavy interview process.

AH right yeah well theres two sides to it.
Looking at Azza's situation, my initial reply is what I suspect what happens.

For larger companies like PWC (interview there myself) and others such as the banks and canary wharf lot.
The interview process seems similar, how much can they put you through and you still want to work here?
Some roles require that level of interviews, most do not. Its the company practises and how they operate which means they need such a heavy interview process.

PWC it was an Azure Cloud Engineer role for me.

HR interview, remote
Boss interview, remote
Some stupid aptitude test I did at home. Took about an hour. (I hate these)
Team interview, remote
Final stage interview, in person.

Final outcome, I didnt get the role because they wanted someone with more experience
:mad:
As if they couldn't figure that out before instead of putting me through a number of interviews over 6 weeks!

Learnt my lesson from that, never again.

Last edited:
My problem with having 1000x interview stages is that it can end up being decided via a committee as opposed to via actual reason. So many people are involved in the process, they all have their own bias and will see different things in each candidate - which might be relevant, or it might not.

The other problem is it's all going the same way, many roles that would normally have been two or three stages, are now five or six.

Then the hiring company start suffering from interview fatigue, as taking 5-6 people out for each candidate, along with all of the feedback, meetings and back and forth - turns into a lot of overhead.

PWC it was an Azure Cloud Engineer role for me.

HR interview, remote
Boss interview, remote
Some stupid aptitude test I did at home. Took about an hour. (I hate these)
Team interview, remote
Final stage interview, in person.

Final outcome, I didnt get the role because they wanted someone with more experience
:mad:
As if they couldn't figure that out before instead of putting me through a number of interviews over 6 weeks!

Learnt my lesson from that, never again.

I remember my large bank interview process, it took from November when I first applied through to March, with a start in May, took 7 interviews (2 calls, 5 in person with different people, not including the coffee shop where I was offered the job), and I had to escalate within their HR because the HR bod handling left the company without saying a word or handing me over - just their out of office exit message alerted me! All this was the for the same role I applied for.

I find tests both annoying and difficult. I'm pretty sure I'm on the spectrum of some neurodiversity test somwere. I'll often find the apptitude test question is written with a single answer, but there's a number of single answers that fit with the information they've provided based on the scenario and my experience.. it then just feels like a flip of the dice.

The fastest "job interview", well.. I had a coffee chat with a vendor and the guy goes (as I was being made redundant) "Don't worry about looking for a role, if you'll accept £X, then we'll get the paperwork over this afternoon".

In other news, I'm busy writing a Friday linked in thought-leadership article.

Last edited:
I remember my large bank interview process, it took from November when I first applied through to March, with a start in May, took 7 interviews (2 calls, 5 in person with different people, not including the coffee shop where I was offered the job), and I had to escalate within their HR because the HR bod handling left the company without saying a word or handing me over - just their out of office exit message alerted me! All this was the for the same role I applied for.

I hate this also, following up with HR. Unless you did then you end up being forgotten.

Usually when you start getting longer interview processes:
1. the board is concerned with current economic outlook
2. the board is clamps down on their bottom line, reducing the open hirings
3. either directly - by reducing the headcount positions causing hiring managers to re-prioritise, but in the vane hope they can wangle another headcount they investigate all the benefits someone can bring beyond the current remit.
4. or indirectly - by increasing the number of hoops hiring teams need to satisfy - this means the entire process gets longer only for HR to whittle the pool down to zero starving it. It's usually followed by the story that the company are looking for the right people..

Quite often the above you'll find the would-be-hiring manager is then given a budget to go to a third party to solve their problem.. only for the low budget to cause a mountain of issues for the company at a later date.

Meanwhile in HR land they're making valid roles redundant, jettisoning staff and not backfilling or allowing staff to move to fill existing roles (not enough experience etc).

I think I could write a Dilbert/Catbert strip.. with Dogbert being the recruitment agent that can magically solve all of this..

Got another interview for a senior role with a potential 20% pay bump but should hear back about the other role tomorrow - I’m inclined to take that instead even if it is essentially a sideways move as it’s more local, less days in the office, better company (IMHO) and probably less stress at the end of the day.

I see Indeed have a web page that indicates the national average salary of security analysts and CIOs is 34k/year.. do they review their copy?

Last edited:
3rd iteration of the CV. It's almost an executive CV but now I look at it on a Friday afternoon I feel I can rewrite in a more attractive, resonant and executive fashion.

Ah man, this is a post I've wanted to write for a while...

So since around April this year, after my current role turned into a joke, I spent a lot of time working out where I wanted to focus on in my career in tech - where could I go that would make sense that would fit my skillset, and provide a suitable challenge. It turned out that the best idea would be to try to get into one of the HFT/Algo trading companies. I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of people, both inside and outside the industry and it seemed like it would be a good fit for my personality (I can be quite intense!!).

However, they're renowned for being notoriously difficult to get into, all of them pay gigantic salaries and the competition to get in is huge, so my starting point - already being in my forties with no finance experience, no PHD, degree or even A-levels, was a difficult one. (I got expelled from school lol)

It's funny because one of the firms (I'm still talking to and expect a decision on Monday) actually loved the fact I'd been booted out of school and had no formal education, they're so used to everybody being from Cambridge and Oxford. When some 'bloke' from the midlands turns up, it is perhaps a breath of fresh air - and not something they see very often, and perhaps there's a bit of an underdog effect - or somebody punching way above their weight, which they seem to really like.

Either way making the grade was going to be tough, very tough. In May I initially got interviews for 2x firms, (both large, established trading firms) got to the on-site and final stage in each, but missed out on one role due to simply not being ready or being at the right level, then missed out on the second one - as it just wasn't a good fit, but I impressed them - I was just the wrong combination of skills - (fair enough).

Ended up going for a third smaller company in July - aced the first 2x phone screens, and half of the on-site, then I ended up with a weird interviewer who wanted to torture me with nonsense scenarios engineered to **** you up and it all went a bit wrong - again right at the final hurdle, so I got rejected for that one too.

By this point, I'd simultaneously learnt a huge amount of stuff from the first 3x interviews, which I'd used as a basis for more research and to level up - I knew where my weak spots were and I knew what to tweak, so I basically did as little as I could at work (things were going south, no money, redundancies, no strategy, just a **** up not worth my time) - whilst studying hard on filling in the knowledge gaps, and working on my problem solving skills.

Then I got hit up by one of the most prestigious firms for a role in HPC (high performance computing), did 11x interviews for that over 13 weeks including an on-site and a final interview last week with one of their head honchos, feedback was awesome - but they were really dragging their heels along, they seemed to be just going slow - but constantly updating me and still keeping me in the loop (which is how they normally operate according to the recruiter) I found out, I was right at the top of their list - so getting an offer was close.

Then last week I got hit up by one of the other firms of similar size and profile, - another top player who wanted to talk, when they found out I was at the borderline-offer stage with the other firm they rushed me through the process (3x phone screens and a full day on-site which was yesterday) was a super tough day, I got battered - but I held up till the end, stuck to the game plan and went with it.

Aaaaaand I got the job :D

Entertainingly the other firm has found out about the offer, and is how rushing head over heels suffering from FOMO ready for Monday where they're apparently going to 'get their **** together' so I could well have a second offer on the table at some point on Monday.

It's going to be a difficult choice, I don't want to reveal too much - but both roles are actually completely different, in different parts of the world, doing totally different things... Both are paying insane levels of comp (3-4x my current comp) - levels I never thought I'd even get near, with the capacity for it to grow exponentially if I stay with either firm.

So yesterday was a good day, that hopefully draws an end to what has been a brutal, frightening, enlightening and difficult last 6 months..

But what did I learn?
  • Effort equals reward, I did this fair and square with no AI or Chat GPT, I already had lots of experience from other prestigious tech companies outside of finance - but part of the success was to experience the failure first, then draw on that to work out where the gaps were - then focus on making those gaps into strengths.
  • These firms care less about what you know and more how you think, they're not interested in walking-textbooks, but more interested in how you break a problem down - even if you can't solve it, the approach to the problem is what they're interested in.
  • The trading firms are not what I expected, I expected huge loud alpha males shambling around, lots of egos and silly hair cuts - the opposite was true, they seemed to me to be more like tech companies than trading firms, lots of very decent reasonable happy people.
  • FOMO is a real thing in this game, if one or more of these firms find out that you're talking to another firm and it's going well - they'll be all over you and rush you through the process, to try and capitalise on the interest.
  • Having huge experience at a FAANG company can put you at a disadvantage, I found out that some of these firms filter out people who've spent a lot of time at places like Amazon or Facebook - because they become institutionalised and can't think for themselves, which is interesting.
  • No blue-sky thinkers, none of these firms have like 'super-duper architects' or people who just sit around getting paid crazy money to dream up futuristic ideas, everyone gets their hands dirty and the orgs are very flat.
  • These firms are very hard to get into at the moment, a couple of years ago they were screaming for new staff - but right now they've tightened their belts right up and there's an abundance of talent on the market, so getting a first conversation with them is very difficult.
  • The offices of these firms are incredible places, **** working from home, they have like restaurants, gyms, gaming rooms - one of them had a damn ski simulator in the office (I mean really... :rolleyes::D ) and one of the firms has a vendor with free macbooks, bose headphones and stuff inside - just help yourself.. - wtf? (But when said firm made $2Bn in pure profit last year, I'm not suprised)
So yeah - super happy right now to finally get to this point! I potentially have a hard decision ahead choosing between the two firms, but for this weekend I'm just gonna chill!

Having huge experience at a FAANG company can put you at a disadvantage, I found out that some of these firms filter out people who've spent a lot of time at places like Amazon or Facebook - because they become institutionalised and can't think for themselves, which is interesting.

I can see why my friend struggles to leave Apple, he has been working there for over 10 years. He internally relocated from the US to Europe, hoping things would improve.

Still not really happy, has applied for other jobs but got nothing because of his high profile working for a FAANG company. Also he's on a very good salary with shares, stocks etc which others companies cant match.

But good on you, its good when you look at alternative options which may or may not be in your field to see it can be better.

Back
Top Bottom