This Instant And Moment - 2024!

Soldato
Not the neatest bodge up but my dell charger went bad so grafted the end (7.4mm) on to an old liteon charger ,the battery isn't getting enough juice now but a used one is on its way

IMG20240104183931.jpg

Soldato
**** a certain power company and **** their complete and utter ****ish management.

Did a lot of work for them before Christmas as a favour, because they were desperate and now they’re ******* me out of nearly £150k with a issue they’ve ******* created.

I get paid when they power up and system works satisfactorily, they’ve decided to leave the site mouthballed until the new energy contracts from ofgem come out.

So I won’t get paid until the new ******* tax year.

So I have no spares for this type of switchgear and no money to replace it without diving into my emergency funds.

******* joke of a company, I’m done there is no point running a small company in this ******* country as big companies just **** you over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Have spent a few hours today reviewing and replacing my passwords, setting up
2FA where it wasn’t already etc. Worth doing. I’ve covered as many as I can’t think of or that Google/Apple have stored.

Transmission breaker
Don
**** a certain power company and **** their complete and utter ****ish management.

Did a lot of work for them before Christmas as a favour, because they were desperate and now they’re ******* me out of nearly £150k with a issue they’ve ******* created.

I get paid when they power up and system works satisfactorily, they’ve decided to leave the site mouthballed until the new energy contracts from ofgem come out.

So I won’t get paid until the new ******* tax year.

So I have no spares for this type of switchgear and no money to replace it without diving into my emergency funds.

******* joke of a company, I’m done there is no point running a small company in this ******* country as big companies just **** you over.

Did you agree to those payment terms? Is it in the contract?

Soldato
Did you agree to those payment terms? Is it in the contract?
Contract was for full payment after testing was undertaken and passed, I cannot power up the switch gear because of them mothballing the site.

The fact they emergency called me and begged me to attend before Christmas made it clear they wanted the unit available during the Christmas period or the cold period after Christmas.

Basically I can’t issue a certificate until I get power onto the board, I can’t get power onto the board until they bring online the station, I can’t take off from the grid as they won’t export onto a connection without the say so of the owners, who are putting their foot down.

I could in theory go in and remove my equipment and spare parts but the hse and ofgem thrown upon leaving a potentially dangerous circuit attached to a 132kv system…

Apparently big companies like to throw their weight around, slow down payments hoping the small company will go bust so when they get chased by auditors they only have to pay for the parts as they quibble over the wages/labour.

TLDR: contract states fully tested and operational, can’t test as company would bring on line or import. Company lied about future of the plant

Man of Honour
I'd imagine legally there is a reasonable time period involved for a contract term like that (though it would be a bit open to interpretation), though obviously that means going legal, I'd also suspect they can't essentially hold your equipment to ransom legally. I'd definitely contact them, formally via letter or similar, over those 2 points giving them a defined time period to remedy the situation before taking legal advice.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
@Abraxaz1 sounds like a right pain. Even if it is as per a contract you agreed, it doesn’t make it ‘morally right’ if they have purposefully put you in an undesirable position.

In all likelihood there will be little that you can do if the payment terms are expressed in such a way that leaves little room for quibbling, but in an ideal world - immune from commercial realities of being forced into agreeing unfavourable terms - you would never accept payment terms that are 100% conditional on anything that is outside of your control.

The best thing to do at first instance would be to find out more information - see if there is anything you could do to flip the situation on its head and gain leverage.

In the meantime, angles to consider:

- has there been any implied variation of the contract by conduct?

- was there any misrepresentation to you in respect of timings that made you enter into the agreement?

- are they breach of their own obligations in the agreement, in respect of acting in good faith or using any form of endeavours to assist you?

If any of that is ringing true, you really can’t wait for the payment and can accept spending a few thousand pounds just to get to the bottom of it (even if it means you won’t end up getting paid sooner) then consider seeking legal advice. All things considered, if it’s stacking up that they have been naughty, one proposed resolution could be to formally vary the contract to deal with a part payment: some dosh now and then some on the first to arrive of the certification and/or a fixed date… or whatever makes the most sense and would be agreeable.

But yes - find out what you can and try to resolve amicably. You never know, you could get more work from them in the future if it all plays out alright and they like what you’ve done.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was going to try and get rid of some old laptops that have been sitting in the draw , to generate some cash to put towards a new laptop, however, on booting up and looking at second hand prices for these old pieces of kit, and the sluggishness of them, and looking at some of the files i had on them that i need to try and sort, i really dont know if i can be bothered :/

I dont know why i keep so many useless files on these things.

Im weighing up and guessing they would not fetch that much anyway, back in the draw they go..

Caporegime
Things happen slowly then all at once. 3 months to get the diagnosis for ADHD, 5 months more to get an appointment for assessment for medication, and then less 24 hours later I have my ADHD drugs. It's my birthday tomorrow and they don't play nicely with alcohol so I think I'll start them on Monday. Wish me luck.

Soldato
I was going to try and get rid of some old laptops that have been sitting in the draw , to generate some cash to put towards a new laptop, however, on booting up and looking at second hand prices for these old pieces of kit, and the sluggishness of them, and looking at some of the files i had on them that i need to try and sort, i really dont know if i can be bothered :/

I dont know why i keep so many useless files on these things.

Im weighing up and guessing they would not fetch that much anyway, back in the draw they go..
Haha, I have a similar thing - I rarely play games consoles, and for some odd reason ended up with a PS3, 2 or 3 Xboxes', and all the accessories - max play time about 10 hours in a decade. I go to sell them but because they're so poorly valued; back in the box they go...

Last edited:
Soldato
Haha, I have a similar thing - I rarely play games consoles, and for some odd reason ended up with a PS3, 2 or 3 Xboxes', and all the accessories - max play time about 10 hours in a decade. I go to sell them but because they're so poorly valued; back in the box they go...

I want to pick up a new laptop, as some of the ones i have are quite old gen i5's now , and are super slow.

I use my work one mainly as its quite a nippy 12th Gen i5. but i wanted a new personal one. I can pay no probs its just i wanted to try and get rid of the abundance of older gen laptops i have in the draw

I really cant be bothered setting them up when they will make next to no money though , maybe £40 to £60 per unit, i have 2 that may sell for that price but its hardly worth the effort

RE Consoles' maybe hang on to them? you never know in 20 - 30 years they may be worth a bit :D

Last edited:

taB

taB

Associate
I want to pick up a new laptop, as some of the ones i have are quite old gen i5's now , and are super slow.

I use my work one mainly as its quite a nippy 12th Gen i5. but i wanted a new personal one. I can pay no probs its just i wanted to try and get rid of the abundance of older gen laptops i have in the draw

I really cant be bothered setting them up when they will make next to no money though , maybe £40 to £60 per unit, i have 2 that may sell for that price but its hardly worth the effort

RE Consoles' maybe hang on to them? you never know in 20 - 30 years they may be worth a bit :D

I take the hard drives out and bin the rest unless someone I know wants the kit. CBA to sell as the effort outweighs the gain most times.

Back
Top Bottom