Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

The issue is the Government are not really looking at the wider impact, people are going to drop back on spending. Retail / Hospitality will take a massive hit just about recovering from Covid. with more small businesses folding which i am seeing this will affect other businesses like a domino affect. Tax cuts wont do anything and not dealing with the elephant in the room. Speaking to friends they are worried even my parents are and they are very money savvy.

my concern is the government not doing anything and we see the cap go up to £5000 to £6000, we can just about afford the price cap but if the £5000 happens a lot of people will be in massive debt, suicides going through the roof specifically men with this on their shoulders.

We're all on the same grid so your consumed fuel is always going to be a mix, I don't really know why they tried to push the green tariff agenda onto consumers to begin with, all suppliers should be trying to up the % of green energy on the grid centrally.

This needs to happen.
People (rightly) question why their 100% renewable tariffs are going up.
because it is tied to the price of gas.... imo the whole thing needs to be split up... even if the over all price you pay is the same they need to let customers see where the costs of their bill are coming from. i spoke to a friend a short while back and they were complaining that green energy costs to much and that is why our bill is going up.

for YEARS fossil fuel companies have been subsidised.... nuclear (which i support as needing at least for now) also gets subsidies.

and yet solar and wind get the blame from some people.

imo my bill should look something like this.

Total electcricity use for August 500kwh

cost breakdown

Wind generation 120kwh £v
Solar generation 30 kwh £w
nuclear generatation 110kwh £x
Gas generation 200kwh £y
everything else 40kwh £z

Standing charge 31 x 50p = £15.50p

total bill v + w + x + y + z + £15.50

obviously it would only be an average but it would just give customers an idea of where the lions share of their bill is coming from which may make them less likely to get all NIMBY when it comes to new wind turbines etc and also show them how pushing their energy use to a more clean time of the day can have a big impact on their bill.

at any time point the grid knows the ratios of generation.
at any time point your energy company knows how much energy you are using and therefore how clean your energy is (assuming you are on a meter)

so it should not be hard to have an automated bill in such a way ....

I’m assuming renewables has the same sort of ‘cheating’ as carbon neutral does where companies just plant a ton of trees?
The energy is generated via renewable means but the supplier can't send you only renewable energy, you get whatever is in the grid the same as everyone else. Its just silly marketing but decoupling electricity prices from gas could in theory mean renewable energy is sold to the grid at a cheaper rate which would help bring the cost down for everyone.

If we could get renewable generation and north sea gas at a discounted rate then it would have a big impact on cost.

The energy is generated via renewable means but the supplier can't send you only renewable energy, you get whatever is in the grid the same as everyone else
Suppliers pay extra for renewables certificates, which pays the renewables suppliers, so the money you pay for a renewable tariff, or to a renewable energy co, does pay for actual renewables.

The issue is the Government are not really looking at the wider impact, people are going to drop back on spending. Retail / Hospitality will take a massive hit just about recovering from Covid. with more small businesses folding which i am seeing this will affect other businesses like a domino affect. Tax cuts wont do anything and not dealing with the elephant in the room. Speaking to friends they are worried even my parents are and they are very money savvy.

my concern is the government not doing anything and we see the cap go up to £5000 to £6000, we can just about afford the price cap but if the £5000 happens a lot of people will be in massive debt, suicides going through the roof specifically men with this on their shoulders.
Domestic violence too will get much worse with all the pressures.

Animals are also being given up much more as people can't afford them with costs soaring.

The future is seriously bleak for so many.

It's Coronavirus V2 economically, except it's not that we can't do anything that costs money we just don't have any money.

There will be several waves of impact, personal finances, SMEs, Public services, Transport services, and so on.

And we've been watching it happen like a slow car crash just like late 2019/early 2020.

Still we'll look back on this day in 2/3 years time hopefully and all cheer - they got the big calls right.

I actually think there will be a financial conjuring trick along the lines of furlough, the the liability for the money borrowed will be pushed down the road a couple of a years. The real problem is inflation causing high interest rates and making borrowing expensive.

It's Coronavirus V2 economically, except it's not that we can do anything that costs money we just don't have any money.

There will be several waves of impact, personal finances, SMEs, Public services, Transport services, and so on.

And we've been watching it happen like a slow car crash just like late 2019/early 2020.

Still we'll look back on this day in 2/3 years time hopefully and all cheer - they got the big calls right.
i think you may be right...... the annoying thing is, unlike covid, which whilst the government may have got things wrong........... covid wasnt their fault, it was a horrible pandemic that even the most organised government we could have had would have struggled to a point.

but this................... this is a problem of our own making (as in humanities) we have fully bought this on ourselves one way or another..... and on top of that with more forward thinking 3 decades ago, unlike covid we could have largely been able to ride the wave now and been totally self sufficient.

It's Coronavirus V2 economically, except it's not that we can't do anything that costs money we just don't have any money.

Pretty much as small businesses cannot afford the insurance cost plus the energy increase, this will mean the brokers losing clients which in turn affects their business

I actually think there will be a financial conjuring trick along the lines of furlough, the the liability for the money borrowed will be pushed down the road a couple of a years. The real problem is inflation causing high interest rates and making borrowing expensive.
Pay for next century

Well if every nation is in turmoil, hell even Norway are talking about curbing electricity exports due lack of rainfall to keep the hydro going. Then what does it matter about the cost.

The middle east wont give a **** either way, China will cook the books to make it look fantastic and the USA will hide behind the $$$$$ while it crumbles to social zombie sess pit. The EU will start fragmenting again soon enough. Germany has got it coming to them due to Merkel and her idiocy in trying to deal with the devil.

The UK is just ******

Will be interesting to see what the bills are for our salon business. Currently ticking along at £400pm and built up £1350 credit, but the 12 month fix ends in November. Going to be painful especially as people will be cutting back so business will slow down at the same time as bills shoot up.

Well if every nation is in turmoil, hell even Norway are talking about curbing electricity exports due lack of rainfall to keep the hydro going. Then what does it matter about the cost.

The middle east wont give a **** either way, China will cook the books to make it look fantastic and the USA will hide behind the $$$$$ while it crumbles to social zombie sess pit. The EU will start fragmenting again soon enough. Germany has got it coming to them due to Merkel and her idiocy in trying to deal with the devil.

The UK is just ******
UK is better off then a lot of to he eu nations, we have a lot of wind and our own gas reserves

Back
Top Bottom