This is why people are losing respect for the police...

Man of Honour
Soldato
Such a nice guy

Soldato

Well her first mistake was trusting the police, of course they used her.

That’s awful. The institution just attracts too many of the wrong sort of people.

Last edited:
What's 'the institution' got to do with that?
I think it's more the money cutbacks that means they are unable to properly complete the background checks.

I watched a program a while ago about Wayne Couzens on channel 5.

They had a retired police officer who said that due to the cost cutting cutbacks, they were letting in people who shouldn't be passing them.

Last edited:
Soldato
It doesn't inspire confidence when the Met is hacked, exposing police details and credentials.

This is on the back of the Northern Ireland police breach.

I wonder if these two incidents are connected? It seems very coincidental.

It also raises questions of the levels of security of other databases. What happens if the PNC gets attacked and wiped?

Caporegime
It's a matter of when and not if when data is concerned, if it has value it will be stolen eventually.

I think we should institute legislation that makes it so unauthorised access to systems is treated as a violent act that you can physically defend yourself from.

Soldato
It doesn't inspire confidence when the Met is hacked, exposing police details and credentials.

This is on the back of the Northern Ireland police breach.

I wonder if these two incidents are connected? It seems very coincidental.

They weren't hacked, a private company was. The PSNI incident involved human error when providing data for an FOI request, the two incidents are entirely different.

Last edited:
Soldato
They weren't hacked, a private company was. The PSNI incident involved human error when providing data for an FOI request, the two incidents are entirely different.
I accept your clarification. But the end result is private information has been leaked into the public domain. In the Northern Ireland situation we already know of one terrorist group using that information to cause intimidation.

My original point still stands that if the police can't maintain a secure system, even if it's a private company running the system it is still the police that is responsible, then it doesn't give confidence to the public.

Soldato
I accept your clarification. But the end result is private information has been leaked into the public domain. In the Northern Ireland situation we already know of one terrorist group using that information to cause intimidation.

My original point still stands that if the police can't maintain a secure system, even if it's a private company running the system it is still the police that is responsible, then it doesn't give confidence to the public.

The supplier will have (or should) been vetted to some extent and would have had to meet specific security requirements, but the police aren't responsible for a private sector supplier's cyber-security, just the same as they wouldn't be responsible if someone had broken in and physically taken the drives.

Given that ID cards are something used by all HO and government organisations perhaps there should be an in-house solution rather than an external profit-driven one.

Soldato

Well her first mistake was trusting the police, of course they used her.

What were the police supposed to do?

She was never going to remain anonymous if she testified (which seems to have been the key evidence) and the real problem here is the scum who are terrorising the woman for bringing a killer to justice for manslaughter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom