This is why people are losing respect for the police...

Caporegime
Hassling peadiatricians of course!

Because generally the people watching and being influenced by the Tommy Robinson types into vigilantiasm aren't the brightest bulbs in the box

So instead of being flippant, what's the solution?

Soldato
So instead of being flippant,

Hah, this is GD not SC mate and I'm sure you're super serious with every reply you make :D

what's the solution?

Right, because I'm going to be able to formulate a comprehensive solution to a long and complex social problem - I can tell you what the solution isn't though, and that's vigilantism.

For a start lets maybe vote in Governments who aren't ideologically disposed to cutting all public services to the bone on the soundbite of "small state" so law enforcement (and all other social services that help things not end up in the lap of the law) are properly funded?

But we don't seem to want to do that as a country, we want "small state" then moan when we get it and nothing we rely on works.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Last edited:
Caporegime
Hah, this is GD not SC mate and I'm sure you're super serious with every reply you make :D

Right, because I'm going to be able to formulate a comprehensive solution to a long and complex social problem - I can tell you what the solution isn't though, and that's vigilantism.

For a start lets maybe vote in Governments who aren't ideologically disposed to cutting all public services to the bone on the soundbite of "small state" so law enforcement (and all other social services that help things not end up in the lap of the law) are properly funded?

But we don't seem to want to do that as a country, we want "small state" then moan when we get it and nothing we rely on works.

You've got a big brain, I'm sure you can come up with something!

Caporegime
Soldato
That sounds horrible... police often take sides depending on gender and age etc so men are at a disadvantage when they get false allegations made against them. I had an ex once and I was with her for two years, she drank heavily and she was very abusive towards me I wanted out of the relationship but every time I would attempt to leave her, she'd go to the police and say I'd hit her, she also broke her windows once on a drunken rage... anyway I had to keep getting back with her. She would often make threats that she would do this and that if I left her. I was really stuck until I met somebody else and I was able to get out of the relationship but not easily... she tried to have me shot... she had gone to the police and told them I had a gun in my house... the police raided my house while I was handcuffed in the back of a police car, they found nothing of interest and that was that. That was back in 2007

The police will always take a woman's side by default.

Police also put things on your record that have no basis, not a criminal record but a police record which I don't think is right.

Given the police have historically failed women by not believing them when they report domestic violence or sexual assault, it's a bit absurd to say the police will always believe them. Fortunately that has improved over the years, as has their treatment of male victims of those same crimes. Attitudes, training and policies change and what happened in 2007 is far less likely to happen now.

Soldato
This is a very disturbing story

South Wales Police now say they are investigating Mr Legakis’ treatment after being referred to the IOPC. But let’s break this down:

- South Wales Police arrested a press photographer who appears to have been doing nothing wrong except being verbally abused by the public and a police officer not understanding basic photography laws.
- They then decided to charge him for assault.
- They took his equipment and held it so he couldn't work for months.
- The case was allowed to go until the day before the trial before it seemingly became apparent there was no evidence of the assault and the police were caught in a lie

Commissario
Again, what's the alternative to law enforcement when we have a clearly incompetent/dysfunctional justice system?
A free for all when all you had to do to get away with murder is point to someone you don't like and say "he's the one that dun it".

Sir Terry put it very well in at least one of his books " the IQ of a mob is the IQ of its most stupid member divided by the number of mobsters "

Also please define "clearly incompetent" given half the time what people complain of as "durr durr dey got let orff" is "the police did not find enough evidence for a charge", or "A jury, having heard the charges and the evidence found them not guilty".

I agree the police etc aren't working properly at the moment, but the fix for that is to actually fund them enough that there are enough trained officers on the beat, enough paid lawyers to push the cases through the justice system and reduce the number of mistakes, enough courts (and judges) to hear the cases, and enough space in the prison cells to hold those found guilty.

Unfortunately that's not as much fun as rounding up a bunch of violent thugs (and typically many "vigilante" mobs are basically organised by criminals, just different ones*), and to out and beat up the people you "think" deserve it.

*Nothing distracts your neighbours from your criminal enterprises quite as much as getting them riled up and pointed in another direction (apparently when the paedo hunter mobs were going around terrorising medical staff and killing a guy who was taking photos of the vandalism of his house and garden, the ring leaders turned out to include a bunch of drug dealers).

Last edited:
Soldato
*Nothing distracts your neighbours from your criminal enterprises quite as much as getting them riled up and pointed in another direction (apparently when the paedo hunter mobs were going around terrorising medical staff and killing a guy who was taking photos of the vandalism of his house and garden, the ring leaders turned out to include a bunch of drug dealers).

Funny how you never have drug-dealer hunter gangs going around pushing all the drug dealers out of their estates eh? :cry:

Last edited:
Caporegime
A free for all when all you had to do to get away with murder is point to someone you don't like and say "he's the one that dun it".

Sir Terry put it very well in at least one of his books " the IQ of a mob is the IQ of its most stupid member divided by the number of mobsters "

Also please define "clearly incompetent" given half the time what people complain of as "durr durr dey got let orff" is "the police did not find enough evidence for a charge", or "A jury, having heard the charges and the evidence found them not guilty".

I agree the police etc aren't working properly at the moment, but the fix for that is to actually fund them enough that there are enough trained officers on the beat, enough paid lawyers to push the cases through the justice system and reduce the number of mistakes, enough courts (and judges) to hear the cases, and enough space in the prison cells to hold those found guilty.

Unfortunately that's not as much fun as rounding up a bunch of violent thugs (and typically many "vigilante" mobs are basically organised by criminals, just different ones*), and to out and beat up the people you "think" deserve it.

So, we'll start with the first point - the ring leaders turning out to be drug dealers. A fantastic advert for our justice system as it stands being ineffective.

I'll answer another point you've made with a little anecdotal story of my own.

I had something stolen. A large something. Something that would have required multiple people and a vehicle. It was clearly identifiable, it had multiple serial numbers on different components. I had photos of it, I had records of each of the serial numbers.

The day after it was stolen I reported it via the police non-emergency system as rather remarkably a colleague of mine found it for sale on facebook marketplace, clear photos showing who it was in possession of, it in their home, in their garden. Impressively the police called me 40 mins later and asked me to supply all the details and photos. I did.

They then took 3 months to attend the guys address by which point he 'no longer had it and couldn't recall ever having had it'. The police left it there until I put in a formal complaint. They then attended his address a second time where he again denied ever having had possession of it. The police closed the case.
I picked up my complaint again and finally 2 months later a more senior officer called me and literally asked "well what do you expect us to do when he says he hasn't got it?". I pointed out at a minimum they could have arrested him on suspicion of handling stolen goods, his response "well we've got no evidence he had it and how did he know it was stolen?".
I pointed out to him that ignorance is not a defence in the eyes of the law and also the photos I'd supplied to them clearly showed it in his possession. "what photos?". Yes, that's right...the initial handler hadn't even passed on the photos. When I sent the photos again and got a response a month later it was "well how do you know it's yours?". I pointed out the serial numbers visible in the photo corresponding with my insurance certificates, that again I'd supplied them. A further month later they'd again attended his address and he accepted he had indeed had it but had sold it and couldn't remember who to or where he got it from.
So that was it, as far as they were concerned they'd made exhaustive efforts and it was case closed.
Throughout this my formal complaint stayed open. It still is. The senior officer that was due to call me back never has despite about a dozen emails and calls to them over 2 years.

Does that sound like competent policing to you?

I know the man that had it. I know where he lives. I know where he works. If I'd visited him that same day instead of reporting it to the police, I'd have my property back.

Soldato
I know the man that had it. I know where he lives. I know where he works. If I'd visited him that same day instead of reporting it to the police, I'd have my property back.

For someone seemingly advocating vigilante justice, I'm surprised, nay shocked :rolleyes: that you didn't go round and "teach him a lesson he won't forget.. grrrrr"

You've asked a couple of people "what is your solution to this issue".... For the record - is your solution groups of vigilantes going around doling out "council estate justice" or, if that is not the case, what is your solution?

Caporegime
For someone seemingly advocating vigilante justice, I'm surprised, nay shocked :rolleyes: that you didn't go round and "teach him a lesson he won't forget.. grrrrr"

You've asked a couple of people "what is your solution to this issue".... For the record - is your solution groups of vigilantes going around doling out "council estate justice" or, if that is not the case, what is your solution?

I'm pointing out that in the breakdown of state justice, which is what we're seeing, that it's a perfectly understandable reaction. Unless we have a competent and effective justice system we're going to see more of it and in some situations it will be the only way justice will ever occur.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Caporegime
Easier to get rid of one person versus a mob, that's just how it is. Though the bobby should really be less matter of fact about it but I suppose any amount of time with the moronic public will make any sort of sugarcoating just feel like a waste of time.

There should not be a mob where Jews are not safe. Simple.

Imagine if we started saying black people weren't allowed at certain places, or women, or Muslims.

Back
Top Bottom