Thoughts on this build?

Associate
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,001.54 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

I read that I'm unlikely to see much difference between those corsair SSDs and a 970?

I'm not planning on overclocking internet so I think that memory should be fine. I also went for that GPU due to it's quietness.

Soldato
Total: £2,001.54 (includes shipping: £14.70)

I read that I'm unlikely to see much difference between those corsair SSDs and a 970?

I'm not planning on overclocking internet so I think that memory should be fine. I also went for that GPU due to it's quietness.

better design board and rma being UK based

Total: £310.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)

better case

Total: £139.69 (includes shipping: £11.70)
ultimate silence

Total: £414.59 (includes shipping: £19.62)

msi 3 yr warranty ( 2 x 100mm 1 x 92 mm fan) vs aorus 4 yr warranty (3x 100mm fan)

BB CODE
Total: £1,119.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
OP
need the wifi- get the Ultra for £30 more !!! also you get a £30 steam voucher with Aorus boards if you leave a review - link in mobo section

also see above about GPUs

Thanks for the case selection, didn't know that case was quieter, lol will probably change the GPU too. The dark rock pro noticeably quieter than the default prism?

Yes i'm not a fan of RGB, will look at that GPU

Soldato
Thanks for the case selection, didn't know that case was quieter, lol will probably change the GPU too. The dark rock pro noticeably quieter than the default prism?

Yes i'm not a fan of RGB, will look at that GPU

yes! 12 Core will get hot. seems 3800x can hit 70c with stock cooler at 39db - that Pro 4 hits 21db !!!!! rough with dB, for every 1dB increase, the sound is doubled....

Soldato

looks solid! order it asap ! well least the cooler and 2070 super and ram before price increases !!!!!

ram prices are set to increase. without naming names but brand you've used have increase at their sales level, a 5-7% increase- this will pass on to distribution/reseller levels. Resellers like OCUK have already increased price due to demand from ryzen for faster ram !

Corsair were selling 3600hz direct on their webstore for under £100 but might have changed coding by now- their NVMe is cheaper to- have tried to get them to keep resellers in line - but who knows

BASE 601 video/review but get the idea

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/...ses-noise-normalized-thermals-silent-base-601

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3388-be-quiet-silent-base-601-case-review

personally, P600S case !

has bit of everything ! silence and flow

Last edited:
Soldato
coming from the man thats wants the x570 xtreme over x470 aorus 7... :p
'Want' and 'doing' are very separate things :p.

If i cant' wait for the B550s, i will get the ULTRA. PCIe 4 is useless/not needed for me, and memory is not going to be an issue and suspect PBO will be just as hit and miss on the B550s (or not if ironed out). But i'm mainly banking on the B550s being fanless due to limited PCIe 4 incorporation - if they have it at all - but think they will even if only GPU slot as a token selling point.

Pro should in theory be slightly quieter , also more heatpipe coverage over the 2 CCX dies
Think they're surprisingly close - but personally i would go for the brick too (Pro 4) as satisfyingly huuuge - but some people get put off by the size (it is a monster). But, operation is silent (relative) in the right case and curve...

Agree, with the P600S - great case. The only irritant is the flap to get at the front ports and the sliders inside the case for cable pass through.

Below is a review - even has the Dark Rock Pro installed.

Memory you may want to check out Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200MHz (Make sure has AES in code - as will be E-DIE) - as will have the potential to clock to 3600MHz and cheaper than the Corsair - certainly tighter timings (Although, Orbi's tip will save you money if it's the memory you want. You're walking that fine line again @orbitalwalsh :D)

Last edited:
Soldato
@Plec spoke to corsair to see if ram pricing could be evened out a little as some are taking the Micheal with ryzen launch . Though means Corsair UK price will go up as was an error . Other EU countries were correct pricing

I think b550 will have a fan due to main GPU slot being 4.0.

Have a feeling IF Chipset isn't PCIe 4.0 then they'll include an m.2 that will share bandwidth with GPU slot.
Vendors will hAve to cool Chipset as an 'just in case' someone does use both GPU and m.2 that's PCIe 4.0

Last edited:
Soldato
Swap out the 2080 for the Gigabyte 2080 Super OC. Price is showing as 698.99 when you click on it.

Aorus Elite will easily handle the 3900X. Add an adapter if you need wifi.

Ram is cheaper, or look for the Crucial Ballistix LT as mentioned above.

Nice case although you could easily go for something like the Meshify or Define C etc for less.

Noctua cooler performs a touch better than the Dark Rock Pro 4 and is easier to install. Non windowed case means you don't see the beige fans.

Total: £2,093.78 (includes shipping: £15.90)

Associate
That looks good, will the cooler be sufficient for the 3900X, I know they get very hot and yes swap the 2080 for the 2080 super. Also I know crucial Ballistix LT 3000 MHz is around £80 for 16Gb and seems to overclock well (edit: seems Orbital has already pointed you at DDR4).

Soldato
Non windowed case means you don't see the beige fans.
You mean you don't like the insipid beige/brown look, @lee32uk?

@Plec spoke to corsair to see if ram pricing could be evened out a little as some are taking the Micheal with ryzen launch . Though means Corsair UK price will go up as was an error . Other EU countries were correct pricing
I've got the same memory as @tamzzy (what i recommended above) in a basket - the only reason i haven't pressed buy is that i think it will have a cascade effect and i'll end up early adopting at a pointless time for me. I'm barely home at the moment - so i'm happy to live vicariously through other members builds. Looking forward to @Jokester's build - as he's going Full Monty and doing the Xtreme justice.

*Oddly, the thing that has made me come closest to buying is the thought of customising the Pro/ULTRA board for nostalgic reasons (i.e. ripping out fan and adding a finned sink - it's doable for my use) - but would rather wait for more Tuber's efforts to be released first.

Man of Honour
But i'm mainly banking on the B550s being fanless due to limited PCIe 4 incorporation - if they have it at all - but think they will even if only GPU slot as a token selling point.
I think seeing how that asus has released bios update that enables pcie4 for b450 to the gpu and the first nvme slot...and that its chipset is fanless...
it's 99% a given that b550 will have pcie4 to the gpu and the first nvme slot, as i suspected all along...

I've got the same memory as @tamzzy (what i recommended above) in a basket
iQRsIEk.png

Back
Top Bottom