Thoughts on this build?

Soldato
I think seeing how that asus has released bios update that enables pcie4 for b450 to the gpu and the first nvme slot...and that its chipset is fanless...
it's 99% a given that b550 will have pcie4 to the gpu and the first nvme slot, as i suspected all along...
Yep, agreed, but hedging my bets with the fan - but feel they'll undermine the x570 if they add anymore PCIe4 functionality so i can't see them needing one.

Dust/hoover your keyboard!

And appreciate the thumbs up in solidarity for me waiting and biding my time :D

Think 12A unit, but upscaled ;) no ETA though . That will be the daddy !
Doobly-what-now?

Man of Honour
Yep, agreed, but hedging my bets with the fan - but feel they'll undermine the x570 if they add anymore PCIe4 functionality so i can't see them needing one
They won't. I think that's all the pcie4 it'll support. Can't be seen to cannibalise x570. But x570 isn't needed for the vast majority of users in the first place.

And appreciate the thumbs up in solidarity for me waiting and biding my time
Corsair mp510 960gb on the way...lol...

Soldato
They won't. I think that's all the pcie4 it'll support. Can't be seen to cannibalise x570. But x570 isn't needed for the vast majority of users in the first place.
The B550s may prove the x570 nemesis with it's lack of functionality and being fanless - especially if they up the board quality from the b450s and keep the theme of over specced VRMs (Elite levels will do nicely).

Corsair mp510 960gb on the way...lol...
That's not Solidarity - that's Perestroika!

You're slowly succumbing...

Man of Honour
Asega code can kill pcie 4.0 support on non x570/b450. Not hard to do with coding .
yeah. that's what amd are doing to asus for the next agesa update...lol...remains to be seen what asus will do in return

especially if they up the board quality from the b450s and keep the theme of over specced VRMs (Elite levels will do nicely).
indeed. if aorus b550i has the same vrms and audio (alc 1220) im sold...lol @orbitalwalsh

That's not Solidarity - that's Perestroika!

You're slowly succumbing...
DQUmz4W.png

Soldato
@tamzzy

I'm trying to think. Both Aorus B450, z370 and X470 had 8 layer PCB, so B550i should follow suit

Z390 6 X 40amps
B450 4 X 50amps
X570 6 X 70amps

Have a feeling b550i would either be 6 X 50amp units or 4x 60amps

Soldato
@orbitalwalsh

Have you heard through your silicon grape vine the rumoured b550 Q release date - is it late Q4 of this year or early Q1 of next?

Reading the memory news I may follow @tamzzy's lead and order my 32Gb tomorrow. Even if they don't creep up - i cant see them going any lower - £150 is nuts for potential 3600MHz speed with respectable timings.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Reading the memory news I may follow @tamzzy's lead and order my 32Gb tomorrow> Even if they don't creep up - i cant see them going any lower - £150 is nuts for potential 3600MHz speed with respectable timings
They already have. It's £190 now for the grey heatspreaders. not checked the prices for other colour heatspreaders though.

Suggest buying nvme drives now as they just had the power outage that lost 6 exabytes of nand...and Japan Korea trade war...I suspect prices gonna go up for storage drives too...

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1459...d-production-partially-halted-by-power-outage

The mp510 960gb is £125 now...
Cheapest it had been was £110 in Q1 this year...I suspect it's gonna creep up in price soon. The adata sx8200 pro is already £160...

Soldato
They already have. It's £190 now for the grey heatspreaders. not checked the prices for other colour heatspreaders though.
BLS2K16G4D32AEST - still ~£150 for me 2 x 16GB grey - like above. (same kit?)

Suggest buying nvme drives now as they just had the power outage that lost 6 exabytes of nand...and Japan Korea trade war...I suspect prices gonna go up for storage drives too...
Yeah, read that in same article but would need a couple - i rarely buy kit months before, but the news doesn't translate well...

**** - we're gonna end up with 570s, @tamzzy at this rate and i'm gonna end up breaking a perfectly good ULTRA...

Soldato
That's the grey/yellow to match the Asus lineup.
There's the grey/grey colour scheme too - that's the one thats £190 now
Ah, mine will be hidden behind a wad of soundproofing. They could be pink with luminous green portraits of Boris Johnson on the side and i would still buy them - well, maybe...

Will buy tomorrow - too tired to get up now.

Back
Top Bottom