• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Threadripper on Zen+ 32 Cores - Launching Q3 2018

Soldato
Sounds amazing tech, but needs to be rolled out wider than just WX CPU's.

WX CPUs are the ones with half the cores not having access to RAM benefiting from this.
Is kinda pointless to put it on the 2920X & 2950X because all cores have access to RAM, it won't improve anything.

But must say is impressive

1538787516sfzmg8h5pw_1_1_l.png

Man of Honour
I'd be interested to see if they can roll it out to some extent on regular ryzen cpu's as well. :)

I don't think that we will see anything on standard ryzen or X series TR for the reasons above. What it does show is commitment to make improvements to already released hardware. Not for the first time either and not holding back tech for their next generations. We saw it with nvme raid, store mi and now this. In lifecycle support is looking solid.

Quite the opposite to Intel right now where I still don't have skylake microde to fix my skylake i7 without taking matters into my own hands.

Associate
WX CPUs are the ones with half the cores not having access to RAM benefiting from this.
Is kinda pointless to put it on the 2920X & 2950X because all cores have access to RAM, it won't improve anything.

But must say is impressive

1538787516sfzmg8h5pw_1_1_l.png

But hang on, wouldn't a UMA mode 2950X benefit exactly from this technology? There wouldn't be any need to switch between NUMA and UMA modes since it's now dynamic and wouldn't need a reboot. Or am I missing something?

Man of Honour
But hang on, wouldn't a UMA mode 2950X benefit exactly from this technology? There wouldn't be any need to switch between NUMA and UMA modes since it's now dynamic and wouldn't need a reboot. Or am I missing something?

No you are right. I hope they let me have dynamic mode on the 1950x as I don't think I have ever run uma so there is probably some hidden in game performance there.

Permabanned
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX 24 Core $1299 US Processor – Insane Performance at an Extreme Value
The Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX will feature 24 cores and 48 threads for a price of just $1299 US. Intel’s 12 core chip in comparison costs $1200 US so we are looking at twice the number of cores at $100 US premium. The chip features clock speeds of 3.0 GHz base and 4.0 GHz boost (4.2 GHz XFR).

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2970wx-and-2920x-29th-october-launch/

Soldato
No you are right. I hope they let me have dynamic mode on the 1950x as I don't think I have ever run uma so there is probably some hidden in game performance there.
Still needs a reboot until that software update is out.

The way they are doing it make sense. Hopefully it has a learning function that can be sent to users.

So if Jimmy opens overwatch Matthew also learns from that benefits. More useful on rarer software solutions like cad

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's nice that the glaring issue is being improved even though a better fix should be a change in microsofts code.

I don't think it's only Intel that that have been caught out by the scalability of zen, vmware had a hard cap of 15 cores/threads on a single chip and zen didn't gain mainstream support there for quite some time, only more recently with the release of 6.5/6.7 are most of the issues worked out without workarounds. I spent a ludicrous amount of time and quite a bit of money trying to make my threadripper workstation just work properly for some projects I was doing, my solution, buy and run a different board until the one I wanted to use actually worked. Well actually at first I used an NFS mounted NAS alongside nvme storage but not having a full feature set was a problem. It really is only more recently that these problems have been addressed and you can bet microsoft will take twice as long.

I genuinely don't see how the industry didn't see it coming? It was clear with AMD's Thuban, bulldozer, piledriver, deneb etc, all those architectures trying and granted mostly failing at perfecting the multi core design. From AMD's point of view you can't just blindly chase core count without a plan and I am almost sure they had one, they gear up an IBM like design with the fastest small and efficient chip they can while global foundries acquire IBM's micro electronics business, IBM, literally the masters of manufacturing the MCM design. 2 Years after that we have Zen. Really what did we think was going to happen, AMD's mainstream were "sort of" an 8 core chip with the 8XXX series and with knowledge gained it was only going to get better. You have to believe the industry knew it was coming but honestly you would expect core operating software to have caught up and have been optimised by now, I mean if amd are fixing scheduler issues in their software what are microsoft doing?

Soldato
I don't think it's only Intel that that have been caught out by the scalability of zen, vmware had a hard cap of 15 cores/threads on a single chip and zen didn't gain mainstream support there for quite some time, only more recently with the release of 6.5/6.7 are most of the issues worked out without workarounds. I spent a ludicrous amount of time and quite a bit of money trying to make my threadripper workstation just work properly for some projects I was doing, my solution, buy and run a different board until the one I wanted to use actually worked. Well actually at first I used an NFS mounted NAS alongside nvme storage but not having a full feature set was a problem. It really is only more recently that these problems have been addressed and you can bet microsoft will take twice as long.

I genuinely don't see how the industry didn't see it coming? It was clear with AMD's Thuban, bulldozer, piledriver, deneb etc, all those architectures trying and granted mostly failing at perfecting the multi core design. From AMD's point of view you can't just blindly chase core count without a plan and I am almost sure they had one, they gear up an IBM like design with the fastest small and efficient chip they can while global foundries acquire IBM's micro electronics business, IBM, literally the masters of manufacturing the MCM design. 2 Years after that we have Zen. Really what did we think was going to happen, AMD's mainstream were "sort of" an 8 core chip with the 8XXX series and with knowledge gained it was only going to get better. You have to believe the industry knew it was coming but honestly you would expect core operating software to have caught up and have been optimised by now, I mean if amd are fixing scheduler issues in their software what are microsoft doing?

The big tech businesses were developing in mind with the core trent which over the last two decades had prove pretty solid.
The trent was for last year was 32 cores/threads maximum and this year around 40 cores/threads and next year 56 or so on the top of the range server market.

They didn't count for AMD dropping 64 threads last year and doubling that in 2019. Especially at reasonably affordable prices for the significant majority of the professional users.
And yes 2990WX at £1300 (without vat) is an affordable CPU given that it was impossible to get something like that 18 months ago, without spending 10 times more. (or even today if we see Intel pricing).

Let alone £640 at 16 core 32 thread CPUs.

It caught even Microsoft with the pants down, still trying to fix the scheduler.

Man of Honour
The big tech businesses were developing in mind with the core trent which over the last two decades had prove pretty solid.
The trent was for last year was 32 cores/threads maximum and this year around 40 cores/threads and next year 56 or so on the top of the range server market.

They didn't count for AMD dropping 64 threads last year and doubling that in 2019. Especially at reasonably affordable prices for the significant majority of the professional users.
And yes 2990WX at £1300 (without vat) is an affordable CPU given that it was impossible to get something like that 18 months ago, without spending 10 times more. (or even today if we see Intel pricing).

Let alone £640 at 16 core 32 thread CPUs.

It caught even Microsoft with the pants down, still trying to fix the scheduler.

The question you have to ask is if MS didn't see it coming and were caught with their pants down, why then 6/12 months before Epyc dropped did they change their licensing model from per socket to per core in all but the datacenter licensing. If my timelines are right then it's either a whole load of coincidences or the industry knew and did nothing to accommodate. Presumably they thought zen wouldn't penetrate the market quite like it has.

Soldato
Anyone got a 2920/2950X on order? Looks like an interesting CPU for blended usage, particularly with improved software support over time. Curious to hear real world experiences...

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

On Order? Had a 2950x since August.

Search through this thread and you'll find a big spreadsheet with about 30 benchmarks where I compare the 1950x against the 2950x.

Soldato
Probly means 2970WX seeing as that and the 2920X are the ones that just launched.

2970WX is much the same as 2990WX in only sometimes being able to show advantage over other CPUs at least partly due to software not knowing what to do with them.

2920X and 2950X are good all rounders.

Back
Top Bottom