Tinnitus who suffers from it

Soldato
Even with ear protection? I find that even at the loudest events I've been to this year the Alpine PartyPlug Pro earplugs have been great, and they're only £30 on Amazon.

I had some custom made from ACS. Cost me 140 but they are so good, very comfortable and moulded to your ear so you know your getting good protection.

Associate
Now when age settles in above 50, there are so many other more serious threats to health!

Tinitus I have like an old CRT TV with bad tube but its like a **** in the ocean compared to other things you can get :)

Soldato
Now when age settles in above 50, there are so many other more serious threats to health!

Tinitus I have like an old CRT TV with bad tube but its like a **** in the ocean compared to other things you can get :)

I disagree, tinnitus when severe can be life destroying. Imagine hearing a noise over everything and not being able to sleep and concentrate at work ect.

Mine is mild-moderate level but i have read about people who have it reallly bad.

Soldato
OMG!!!!

I used the Water Pik earlier and now i can hear again properly!

You ought to have seen the gunk that came out of my ears! Especially my left ear. The water was a browny yellow with big bits in it. I used warm water and it took quite a few attampts.

Best £44 i have spent. To think, i have been almost deaf for several weeks too. Its amazing.

Will see if it makes a difference with my tinnitus as all that gunk pressed up against my ear drum couldnt have helped.

Going to buy some hydrogen peroxide and use that next as its supposed to be excellent for removing any stubbon wax. I will do that on thursday.

I was going to take some pics but it was seriously yukky!

Last edited:
Soldato
I seriously recommend against ever blasting water in your own damn ear! The stories of it causing tinnitus should be enough to stop you. The only good way of getting earwax removed is from manual suction done by a professional.

Jesus reading that made my ears hurt.

Soldato
I use ear drops to clear any unwanted wax, which is rare.

As for tinnitus, I suffer from it, I'm 30yo and get a few 'rings' per week normally, some worse than others. As of late, I've noticed them getting lower in frequency so I may see a doctor about it soon before it becomes a serious issue.

Soldato
I use ear drops to clear any unwanted wax, which is rare.

As for tinnitus, I suffer from it, I'm 30yo and get a few 'rings' per week normally, some worse than others. As of late, I've noticed them getting lower in frequency so I may see a doctor about it soon before it becomes a serious issue.

You are lucky to only hear it a few times a week. Doctors are useless when it comes to tinnitus unfortunately..

Going to buy some hydrogen peroxide and use that next as its supposed to be excellent for removing any stubbon wax. I will do that on thursday.

Bassmansam said:
Doctors are useless when it comes to tinnitus unfortunately.

Quite, first trip to the doctor and they recommended Hydrogen Peroxide drops to aid my situation. This exacerbated my tinnitus, and it went from an "every now and then" thing to a "all-the-bloody-time" thing. It may work for you, but if there's any chance that it's going to make it worse I'd steer clear of it seeing as there's no known de facto cure for the condition. When I saw my doctor again about it you could almost see him sigh and roll his eyes. He did little in the way of diagnosis or further questioning and just printed off some material for me to take home and read. That was 5 years ago, and I can't bring myself to go back as a result.

To the points above about aggravating factors I find too much coffee kicks it off, as does being tired and stressed. Basically anything that could increase tension, blood pressure or wear you down. On nights when it's bad I get maybe 2-3 hours sleep, and end up feeling like I've just been on a 3 day whiskey bender which in turn makes it worse until I'm exhausted to the point of passing out of an evening. Fortunately that usually means a solid night's sleep and a reset, but not sure how much longer that can be sustained!

Soldato
Doctors usually give you the eye roll because, in the vast majority of cases, it comes down to 'I blew my hearing by being around loud stuff' and there's nothing they can do for you, despite the demands.

Of course, that means people who got tinnitus randomly or suffer from somatic tinnitus (which has a physical cause and can be cured if found), are fighting doctors which basically smirk at you as you feel like pounding your fist through their smug faces.

It's my dentist who was the most sympathetic since he could feel how my jaw could be the cause of it.

Associate
Poor hearing since birth, some days Tinnitus rears its ugly head and thrown into the mix. I needed an answer and put it down to stress and it gives me a goal (at least I can work on it). Tinnitus is mental torture and when I don't think about it (by gum its hard) it goes away.

Work were trying to get me to wear hearing aids - I found them both distracting and uncomfortable, so I no longer wear, there will become a day, but not yet. Colleagues know me by now and the genuine oblivion to a comment I cannot hear is the norm. Stressing over hearing will start the cycle...

Soldato
Doctors usually give you the eye roll because, in the vast majority of cases, it comes down to 'I blew my hearing by being around loud stuff' and there's nothing they can do for you, despite the demands.

it.

Uhh so why is there no awareness of tinnitus when you go to a concert or a club? When you smoke a cigarette the consequences are clearly displayed on the packet.

Maybe if there was better awareness people wouldn’t get this crappy condition.

Soldato
I seriously recommend against ever blasting water in your own damn ear! The stories of it causing tinnitus should be enough to stop you. The only good way of getting earwax removed is from manual suction done by a professional.

Jesus reading that made my ears hurt.

Nurses do the same procedure in my doctors. Exactly the same. You dont direct the water at the eardrum but at the tunnel walls. This then goes around the blockage pushing it out.

Soldato
My tinnitus has gotten steadily worse as i have gotten older. I can hear it above most sounds. It is VERY loud but, i have learnt to live with it.

I dont think having blocked ears helps either. I am so glad i unblocked them today.

I have been to have the wax sucked out. That was painful and not a lot came out. The flushing, for me, is the best. It was when the nurse did it for me several years ago and again today when i did it myself. You just got to be sensible with your approach.

Soldato
Uhh so why is there no awareness of tinnitus when you go to a concert or a club? When you smoke a cigarette the consequences are clearly displayed on the packet.

Maybe if there was better awareness people wouldn’t get this crappy condition.

Doubt it. Young people, in general, think they're invincible and then it's too late. Same thing with portable music players, which is where a large number of young tinnitus sufferers are being made.

Back
Top Bottom