Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
Can't subs tow a sonar so they could triangulate, or even just from front/rear & ... maybe they did contact oceangate about the noise

Soldato
Okay, so why would they not disclose.

Also how do other subs hunt other subs if they require multiple sources to triangulate?

Wolfpack's? ....
Sub to Sub hunting is a very slow, patient long drawn out process that takes place over many, many hours if not days. It takes a very coordinated crew monitoring from multiple positions within it's operational area. A former submariner that I have known for many years used to describe hunting exercises as "boring as ****"

Hunting by surface forces is still a faster means to position a suspected contact.

Associate
So the CEO ignored safety concerns,(he fired a guy that raised concerns), donated to the GOP but didn't want to hire experienced white men....Probably because anyone experienced would raised safety concerns....

Yikes, at least they wouldn't have felt anything, would have been over instantly.

Soldato
This statement on the BBC site seems wrong, is it?

The people inside are kept safe by the pressure inside the vessel countering the pressure around it.

But if there was a rupture to the structure the pressure outside would be much greater, compressing the vessel

Man of Honour
This statement on the BBC site seems wrong, is it?

Very basic but yea..that seems right.
I'm not an expert so I could be wrong. But that statement can't be true. If the pressure inside was equal to the pressure outside then it would crush the occupants. There also wouldn't be an implosion when the hull gave way.

Instead I think it must be the strength of the hull itself which resists the water pressure. The air inside must be at approximately one atmospheric pressure and the pressure outside is hundreds of times greater.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
So the CEO ignored safety concerns,(he fired a guy that raised concerns), donated to the GOP but didn't want to hire experienced white men....Probably because anyone experienced would raised safety concerns....

Yikes, at least they wouldn't have felt anything, would have been over instantly.

Nah, it would have been leaking first then the inevitable crush. Would have defiantly been a few moments of Oooo ****

Caporegime
I was hoping one of them would be found and rescued, would've made for a better film in a few years time.

Netflix were probably hoping the rescue crew looked through the portal to find someone eating someone else. They get to the surface, as they undo the last bolt a vampire shoots out. Because at that depth. There's a 20.percent chance of "turning".

Commissario
Can't subs tow a sonar so they could triangulate, or even just from front/rear & ... maybe they did contact oceangate about the noise
towed arrays, and as themightyten says it's normally a very slow tedious process as the hunting sub doesn't want to give away that it's there, but at the same time neither does the hunted one so the hunter will be searching for anything and then moving (very very quietly) to try and get additional directional indications once they've had the first.

I think they'll sometimes try to trail a target sub right from the point it leaves it's nations waters, as they usually know the bases they operate from and have navigational charts of the water so know roughly the likely routes it'll take to reach international waters, which means they can sit and listen for it from the moment it starts moving and then try and follow it, or get directed to a suspected rough location via the fixed sensors or those from other mobile platforms (a missile sub will do it's utmost to avoid doing anything to be detected, but still has a good set of passive sonar arrays and IIRC has ways to pass the information on).

Last edited:
Soldato
Nah, it would have been leaking first then the inevitable crush. Would have defiantly been a few moments of Oooo ****

Everything I've read so far suggests a leak first wouldn't happen. Water wouldn't just dribble in, it would shoot in and go through anyone in the way.

Least that's what I've gleened from becoming a deep sea submariner expert over the last few days :)

Soldato
I'm not sure if the investigation team will ever find out, but if the Titan crew realised something was malfunctioning they would have released the ballast's for an emergency resurface. Wonder if thats what happened or it just immediately imploded without them knowing they had any issue.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Define "it would have been leaking first" in this scenario?

You get used to certain noises, they are unnatural at first but they become the way of things, Noise would have been the first give away that something is not quite going to plan, followed by water somewhere then kaboom.

Everything we do is associated with Risk, Governments' and financial institutions around the world have done their upmost of monetise it especially when comes to leisure time.

Hell if we didn't do risky things we would not be able to walk outside.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I'm pretty sure that isnt correct at all. The pressures involved with something that deep are enormous. its like 2490KG of force pushing in all directions.

Its semantics really i guess. A certain area will have failed first then kaboom as you say, a blink of an eye.

The titanic keeps on giving Drama i will say that for it.

Soldato
I'm not an expert so I could be wrong. But that statement can't be true. If the pressure inside was equal to the pressure outside then it would crush the occupants. There also wouldn't be an implosion when the hull gave way.

Instead I think it must be the strength of the hull itself which resists the water pressure. The air inside must be at approximately one atmospheric pressure and the pressure outside is hundreds of times greater.
You are right. Hoop compression around the hull and the hemispherical ends resist the pressure externally.

Back
Top Bottom