Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Don
My bet is that they've gone through their logs and found the event.
Yeah, it looks like the direction was given to the Coastguard on Wednesday to hone in on the location.

I don’t believe this was due to clearing security because it was from top secret equipment. If that was the case, they wouldn’t have revealed that at all knowing they had been killed in an implosion.

Soldato
I'm not an expert so I could be wrong. But that statement can't be true. If the pressure inside was equal to the pressure outside then it would crush the occupants. There also wouldn't be an implosion when the hull gave way.

Instead I think it must be the strength of the hull itself which resists the water pressure. The air inside must be at approximately one atmospheric pressure and the pressure outside is hundreds of times greater.
I think it was collapse of the carbon hull or failure of the bond line between the titanium and carbon. The 3rd possibility is the window failed as it was not certified to the depths they were taking it to.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think it would have leaked first. Not in the sense that people would be able to realise it was leaking.

Maybe if it was made from something that had enough give (is there even a material that currently exists that would under that sort of pressure?) but surely not carbon fibre. Any water ingress would mean the thing was structurally compromised at which moment it would instantaneously pop like an inverted balloon, shattering into billions of pieces.

Cracking, yeah, sure. Especially given that it seems it was the repair and reuse cycle that was the cause of the point of failure. The hull had cracked and remained intact otherwise it wouldn't have fatigued or needed to be repaired after each trip.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Incredible that someone can throw together a mini sub and then charge people for rides to the bottom of the sea with no oversight or checks.

Why ? No one forced people to go on it, its not a public ride it is a private endeavour. I am not saying checks and balances have to be done on the equipment itself and i am pretty sure all the people on board would have done due diligence and be fully aware of the ramshackle thing and that they signed up to go deeper than what is was rated for.

Caporegime
I don't think it would have leaked first. Not in the sense that people would be able to realise it was leaking.

Maybe if it was made from something that had enough give (is there even a material that currently exists that would under that sort of pressure?) but surely not carbon fibre. Any water ingress would mean the thing was structurally compromised at which moment it would instantaneously pop like an inverted balloon, shattering into billions of pieces.

Cracking, yeah, sure. Especially given that it seems it was the repair and reuse cycle that was the cause of the point of failure. The hull had cracked and remained intact otherwise it wouldn't have fatigued or needed to be repaired after each trip.

James Cameron makes a few comments about the "noise" that would have happened in a composite material in this video. But it is likely that due to the depth and pressure they were under, by the time you heard it, and then process it in your mind what that is, it was already too late.

Associate
Terrible loss. I have been down the rabbit hole again today looking at the most recent footage previously obtained so I can see the fascination with taking risks to see it in person. The Titanic itself will always have a huge pull, it's such a shame the risks are so high. Those kinds of depths are just no place for a human.

I did stumble upon a digital recreation of the Titanic while browsing, almost 40Gb of data and from the videos I've seen; it looks fantastic and probably the closest most people will get to seeing how the ship would've looked before it's fateful journey. I imagine some of you guys would be interested too so here is a link to the latest demo:

Soldato
It boils down to a fracture mechanics problem whether there was any chance of there being a through thickness crack which would existed without full failure for any measurable time, before it then proceeded to a critical flaw size to ultimately collapse. Would actually be interested to know what the critical crack size is for that particular material and geometry. Clearly too small to not miss, if they ever actually did any NDT on it.

Soldato
Everything I've read so far suggests a leak first wouldn't happen. Water wouldn't just dribble in, it would shoot in and go through anyone in the way.

Least that's what I've gleened from becoming a deep sea submariner expert over the last few days :)
Nope, it wouldn't happen like that.

It would be an instantaneous crushing and destruction of the sub.

Reactions: fez
Soldato
Nah, it would have been leaking first then the inevitable crush. Would have defiantly been a few moments of Oooo ****

Not so. We did all sorts of mathematical theory on pressure & water state during my ocean science degree.

There wouldn’t have been any warning, the speed of the collapse would have been instantaneous.

Same as if you were sitting in a car one day, then a 1 million ton asteroid landed on your head at several thousand miles per hour, would you have time to think, oh whats that, before you were totally annihilated ? - no.

Obviously its slightly different with deep sea pressure as the parts of the sub that were not pressured would more or less survive just have been ‘blown up’ by the implosion - hence why those parts are all over the place.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom