Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
Billionaires desperately trying to find ways to spend their money.
And now needing to be rescued/recovered by taxpayers money. Nothing new there I suppose (bailouts in mind here :) ). I hope they'll be contributing their share in what will now run into the man millions for their rescue/recovery from their voyage of voyeurism :(
Anyway, hope they're recovered safely.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Expert says pipe-laying ship on scene
BBC News has been speaking to marine scientist and expedition leader David Mearns, who has been keeping a close eye on developments off Newfoundland.

He tells us that a commercial pipe-laying ship has arrived in the area where the submersible was last reported, and says this is welcome news.

“Just in the last hour or so... another commercial vessel, a very capable pipe laying vessel, modern ship, with ROV (remotely operated underwater vehicle) capabilities, is actually over the site now and we’re just hoping that it has the capabilities to reach those kind of depths – 3,800 metres – to search for the submersible and have the ability to recover it.

Reactions: mrk
Soldato
I was wondering what size it would have been crushed down to if it has imploded - though not sure it would react like I'm imagining, but the pressures down there are staggering

A car crusher exerts about 2000 psi, at the depth of the Titanic it's 6000 psi :eek:

Some grisly reading here on the effects of a submarine getting crushed

Last edited:
Soldato
And now needing to be rescued/recovered by taxpayers money. Nothing new there I suppose (bailouts in mind here :) ). I hope they'll be contributing their share in what will now run into the man millions for their rescue/recovery from their voyage of voyeurism :(
Anyway, hope they're recovered safely.
i see your point and would hope if they get out alive they get something of a bill, however is that much different from everest climbers who get into trouble or people trekking to the Antarctic?

Caporegime
I wonder how much the titanics grave will be disturbed by these rescue efforts.

Elon been on Twitter calling any rescuers pedos yet?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mrk
Soldato
i see your point and would hope if they get out alive they get something of a bill, however is that much different from everest climbers who get into trouble or people trekking to the Antarctic?
Similar but the cost of this recue would be absolutely huge vs recuing someone trekking in Antartica. Most of us could afford to go trekking too, but not do this. So why shouldn't they? Can definately afford to.
But maybe everyone should pay a percentage of their wealth towards a recue when known risks involved that those involved accepted.

As others have said I see the appeal of going up in a rocket, experiencing space travel. After all, that is something humans need to evolve possibly for our own survival. But visiting a steel coffin 12500ft under the surface of an oceanwhere 1500 people died? maybe it's a bias but i struggle to get that, the risks just to experience that, and paying £250k or $ for that experience.

Last edited:
Soldato
Similar but the cost of this recue would be absolutely huge vs recuing someone trekking in Antartica. Most of us could afford to go trekking too, but not do this. So why shouldn't they? Can definately affod to.
But maybe everyone should pay a percentage of their wealth towards a recue when known risks involved that those involved accepted.

As others have sad said I see the appeal of going up in a rocket, experiencing space travel. After all, that is something humans need to evolve possibly for our own survival. But visiting a steel coffin 12500ft under the surface of an ocean? maybe it's a bias but i struggle to get that.
i dont think some sort of insurance package to cover a possible rescue is unreasonable. not sure what that kind of thing would cost however or who would take it on. I do have adventure activities on my barclays bank travel insurance.... i doubt this would cover it however ;)

btw have you seen the damage that musks rocket did last month? i suspect that may cost a few quid to put right as well.

Soldato
I have no idea about subs that can go that deep but are any of them buoyant enough to be able to float twice their weight? Surely about the only hope is something like the pipe laying ROV having a mechanical arm to dislodge the weights on the lost sub so it floats itself.

Edit: This is of course assuming they even find it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bacteria is already eating the ship whole, there is nothing to save.
Its not really the point though people don't go digging in graveyards whether theres anything much left isn't really the point its a respect thing, most if not all battleships are regarded as war graves and is illegal to disturb i guess civilian ships don't come under the same rules, maybe they should

Man of Honour
They can't get them out on the seabed but they can evacuate them on the surface if they raise the submersible to the surface.
If they manage to get it to the surface and rescue the occupents, Hollywood will be all over it and have a movie out within the year. Probably starring Liam Neeson or Ewan Mcgregor.

Man of Honour
Its not really the point though people don't go digging in graveyards whether theres anything much left isn't really the point its a respect thing, most if not all battleships are regarded as war graves and is illegal to disturb i guess civilian ships don't come under the same rules, maybe they should
We do dig at Pompeii constantly though (as well as thousands of archaeological sites globally) and thats a graveyard to more people than Titanic.

Back
Top Bottom