Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
So everything inside the pressurised capsule that was instantly depressurised is evaporated into molecules?

Or would there be parts say larger then a finger length?

The inside of the capsule was at 14.7psi or 1bar. Outside was 6000psi or 41.3bar. The capsule wasn't decompressed, all the air in it and in the 5 people was compressed in the blink of an eye. I doubt there was anything except some teeth without fillings, maybe some bones but most of them contain air as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m not sure it would have gone outward on the load as the pressure just equalises. It isn’t greater on the inside compared to the outside after the implosion.

I have a suspicion there is a strong rebounding force after collapsing a bubble like that. Not of great duration but a shockwave as the water slams into itself from all directions, compressing the air to silly numbers then normalising.

Soldato
I have a suspicion there is a strong rebounding force after collapsing a bubble like that. Not of great duration but a shockwave as the water slams into itself from all directions, compressing the air to silly numbers then normalising.
This is what I think could be it as well. The water isn’t compressible but the air is. The rapid change of pressure could have shocked the acrylic dome. If there were some CAD models of this it would be interesting to simulate it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Anyway, the tourists are ruining it. Experts have agreed for years now that constant human activity is destroying the wreck faster than it naturally would be.

Access should be to approved scientific research vessels only and kept to a minimum.
Genuine question, how does scientific research on the wreck benefit anyone or anything?

Associate
Wasn't the dome only certified to 1300m? I wonder if the repeated exposures to 3 times that depth could have caused it to fail. Although i do think the failure of the Carbon Fibre is more likely. Titanium bits look good though.

Associate
Genuine question, how does scientific research on the wreck benefit anyone or anything?

It is a unique opportunity for the study of how life reacts to these things appearing in their environment. It's been down there 111 years and the bacteria causing the rusticles are eating a serious amount of the hull every day - eventually there won't be anything left at all. There was a new species discovered there which has literally been given Titanic in it's Latin name. It was also down there for over 70 years before we found it and started investigating.

Man of Honour
It is a unique opportunity for the study of how life reacts to these things appearing in their environment. It's been down there 111 years and the bacteria causing the rusticles are eating a serious amount of the hull every day - eventually there won't be anything left at all. There was a new species discovered there which has literally been given Titanic in it's Latin name. It was also down there for over 70 years before we found it and started investigating.
So what is the benefit of studying that?

Soldato

One thing I can think of straight away is that the steel used is "pre-nuclear" (or Low Background Steel) and therefore not contaminated by any fallout like steel made today is. This makes it very useful for scientific and medical measuring material. There's probably many other reasons but thats the one that jumps into my head first.

Commissario
One thing I can think of straight away is that the steel used is "pre-nuclear" (or Low Background Steel) and therefore not contaminated by any fallout like steel made today is. This makes it very useful for scientific and medical measuring material. There's probably many other reasons but thats the one that jumps into my head first.
Also it can give you an idea of how fast things are decaying and how it varies with depth and location, and prove a useful "easy" to locate place to monitor the ecosystem over a long period of time for changes, as opposed to say dropping to a random spot you've got a lovely (relatively) big marker for you to move around with various different environments (open, sheltered etc).

IIRC it was thought for a long time that at that sort of depth there wouldn't be enough oxygen in the water for something to rust out (or something like that), which is proving not to be the case.

Back
Top Bottom