Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Associate
I was wondering what size it would have been crushed down to if it has imploded - though not sure it would react like I'm imagining, but the pressures down there are staggering

A car crusher exerts about 2000 psi, at the depth of the Titanic it's 6000 psi :eek:

Some grisly reading here on the effects of a submarine getting crushed

Fun (?) fact - when Ballard found the wreck of the Titanic, it was as a favour from the US Navy that allowed him to borrow the sub used for searching after he dived on the wreck of the Scorpion and Thresher for them.

Caporegime
My best friend likes to go cave diving in Thailand.

Sounds amazing and she's seen some incredible things but I couldn't do it.

I get freaked out by lifts! Lol!

I'll do sky diving, I'll do my MTB stuff. But what I can't handle is death over a long period.

If you die from sky dive. It's gonna be seconds. Same if come off a mountain.

In a cave? You could be alive days just waiting to die. In this Dark, cold, lonely place. You might have some hope. But you know its probably a death sentence.

I'm not even claustrophobic. It's just there are too many things out of my control in situations like that.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Reading between the lines here, they'll do well to even find this vessel, let alone recover it - assuming it hasn't just decompressed, at which point there will be no people to find.

People should be allowed to take risks, but this doesn't seem to have much in the way of fail-safe mechanisms...

Soldato
Google "Byford Dolphin"

Do NOT google images. That will haunt you for the rest of you life.
I might be wrong in my understanding but Byford is different in that it was a release of high pressure into low pressure, thus an explosive release, whereas the low pressure in the sub vs the high pressure outside would just result in being crushed/imploded and not exploded ? As for results of the pressure release, I already posted those earlier in the thread

Associate
Reading between the lines here, they'll do well to even find this vessel, let alone recover it - assuming it hasn't just decompressed, at which point there will be no people to find.

People should be allowed to take risks, but this doesn't seem to have much in the way of fail-safe mechanisms...
Agreed - If we can't find a Boeing 777 in the Pacific ocean, what hope is there to finding a much smaller tin can in the Atlantic?

Associate
Agreed - If we can't find a Boeing 777 in the Pacific ocean, what hope is there to finding a much smaller tin can in the Atlantic?

The Pacific Ocean covers over half the planet - you can position a globe in such a way that you can't see anything BUT the Pacific.

We know where the sub dived, and what they were aiming for - knowing local currents would make the search area infinitely smaller than that of MH370, but I agree that the size of the wreckage will be absolutely tiny. The best hope will be that it landed reasonably close to it's target in the first place.

Caporegime
I have a low tolerance for risk, I don't even think I will fly again (maybe 30 years ago the last time) and I understand why ww2 fighter pilots took a handgun on missions for a quick way out

I think that's a bit extreme considering the chance of dying in a modern aircraft that isn't being shot at.

I hope you don't drive or cross the road when out walking ;)

Soldato
Hope this turns out ok even though the odds are stacked against it.
I have a low tolerance for risk, I don't even think I will fly again (maybe 30 years ago the last time) and I understand why ww2 fighter pilots took a handgun on missions for a quick way out
Flying is one of the safest forms of travel, do you ever even leave the house?

Permabanned
The Pacific Ocean covers over half the planet - you can position a globe in such a way that you can't see anything BUT the Pacific.

We know where the sub dived, and what they were aiming for - knowing local currents would make the search area infinitely smaller than that of MH370, but I agree that the size of the wreckage will be absolutely tiny. The best hope will be that it landed reasonably close to it's target in the first place.
Did you know every C in the words Pacific Ocean is pronounced differently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom