Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Suspended

The internal light was literally a battery baton from Camper World too.

Caporegime
Cheaper and less likely to argue when they see something risky.

There was one guy who argued. They fired him.

A former employee of OceanGate, the company whose submersible is now missing after diving toward the wreckage of the Titanic, warned in 2018 that the sub's safety could be compromised by poor "quality control and safety" protocols that "paying passengers would not be aware" of, a lawsuit says.

David Lochridge, OceanGate's former director of marine operations, alleged in August 2018 court filings that he was wrongfully terminated after raising concerns about the company's "refusal to conduct critical, non-destructive testing of the experimental design" of the Titan, the submersible that went missing Sunday.

Soldato
It's up to them to take the risk etc. But then when it all goes wrong, the navy has to risk troops rescuing them.
not saying you are wrong and just playing devils advocate really but............ technically isnt this good training anyway, i mean regardless of this one, other subs go down as well - which are considered legitimate - and they could get into trouble as well... so either way i imagine the troops have to train. This is just training that actucally matters rather than doing dummy runs.

or am i wrong and they dont train for deep rescues and its just done off the cuff?

Associate
not saying you are wrong and just playing devils advocate really but............ technically isnt this good training anyway, i mean regardless of this one, other subs go down as well - which are considered legitimate - and they could get into trouble as well... so either way i imagine the troops have to train. This is just training that actucally matters rather than doing dummy runs.

or am i wrong and they dont train for deep rescues and its just done off the cuff?
Navy submarines are built with rescue in mind - there is a way to dock with them, it would be a quite diffeent scenario. I think this is much deeper than any mil sub rescue could be attempted.

Soldato
I know they have to sign waivers before the trip, but doesn’t events such as these somewhat invalidate those waivers and bear responsibility for deaths upon the company?
wavers are all well and good, however surely there is still an expectation of general quality controls. if the rumours of build quality are true and if it want fit for purpose (not talking about the controllers, personally i think that is the least of its problems by the sound of it then i doubt the wavers mean much.

however that said, if it was commonly known how dodgy it was then am not sure why it was not shut down before now..........

TLDR i agree ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
The internal light was literally a battery baton from Camper World too.

He almost seems proud of it. I can completely understand when outfitting your canal boat but for something like this it is just madness.

I guess the issue is all these things are used in international waters so the laws for such subs must be in proper grey area territory. I also cannot understand how some people so rich didn't do their due diligence with it. It is not like you or I they could have just hired someone to do it for them. It is most likely one of the most dangerous things you could actually do on this planet and even one of them took his son down with him!

Soldato
I guess the issue is all these things are used in international waters so the laws for such subs must be in proper grey area territory.
its a good point but presumably it had to come into dry dock after dives to be checked out etc. it could have been impounded then if it was commonly known to be that bad..... or is this just captain hindsites coming out now and admitting all this stuff after the fact, when they should have done it before?.

Soldato
If they are alive is there even anything remotely possible to get it back up if they manage to find it in time?

Morbidly crossed my mind if you was on that sub would you try and kill each other to save oxygen for yourself?
i imagine the oxygen expended in the struggle would mean it would be false economy. also tough one to explain if you are rescued.

Soldato
If they are alive is there even anything remotely possible to get it back up if they manage to find it in time?

From what’s been said, if they’re on the bottom (which it sounds like they might be, if they’re banging on the hull every 30 mins).

It’ll need one of the remote subs to physically find it, free it, grab hold of it or attach a line to it, so it can be winched to the surface…

To say it’s a long shot, feels like an understatement… I can imagine the stricken sub being mixed up amongst the wreck of the titanic, so finding it might be a nightmare…

Soldato

Morbidly crossed my mind if you was on that sub would you try and kill each other to save oxygen for yourself?

I don't imagine so. If it didn't implode and only lost power then it's probably at the bottom of the seabed. I'm not sure if ROVs will be strong enough to raise it to the surface, I also can't imagine many ships will have a long enough winch for it either - in the area. If time was on their side then that wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom