Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Caporegime
I know they have to sign waivers before the trip, but doesn’t events such as these somewhat invalidate those waivers and bear responsibility for deaths upon the company?

I would hope so, but... American law may see it differently.

They only have a matter of hours now to save them, would take an unprecedented rescue attempt.

I think they'll still want to recover the sub to investigate what happened.

The interior of that sub will not be a pretty sight.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't think there is, it's one thing being able to get down there in another craft but a completely different ballgame to be able to raise something of that size and weight.

Surely there should have been a procedure in place for this eventuality. As in some way to recover it in that event. It just stinks to high heaven why something like this hasn't even been considered.

Nasa would prep a second shuttle after what happened in 03 for shuttles that would be unable to reach the ISS in an emergency situation.

Last edited:
Associate
What's really scary is they will absolutely know they're going to die. Imagine they come up with a short straw situation to try and let one have more time.

Man of Honour
not saying you are wrong and just playing devils advocate really but............ technically isnt this good training anyway, i mean regardless of this one, other subs go down as well - which are considered legitimate - and they could get into trouble as well... so either way i imagine the troops have to train. This is just training that actucally matters rather than doing dummy runs.

or am i wrong and they dont train for deep rescues and its just done off the cuff?

They can't be rescued by DSRV as there is no hatch for a docking collar to attach to like on a proper sub. They can't get out of this thing without outside help. I don't think that a DSRV can dive that deep anyway so the only option would be one of a very few ROV's that can reach that kind of depth.

Even if by some miracle there is ship with a long enough winch cable the ROV that finds them is unlikely to be carrying the cable while in the search phase from finding them it's several hours to get back to the surface and down again and even longer to attempt to attach a cable and bring the submersible back up so they may be out of oxygen by then.

Surely the bottom has been painstakingly mapped by now so they will be looking for something "new" on the bottom?

Soldato
Such a sad scenario, they can hear them trying to communicate. They don't know that they can be heard but they won't live. Think it's 9am tomorrow their oxygen runs out? It takes 4 hours approx to get down and get them back up at a minimum.

Absolutely no chance for them.

Soldato
Found these 3d scans of the wreck area - could be anywhere, and I imagine the seabed is pretty thick with mud - if they lost power and sank, or worse, had the engines engaged to descend, lost control and powered into the sea floor (probably wouldn't damage the pressure vessel), it could be really hard to pull them up.

1000-1.webp

1000.webp

Back
Top Bottom