Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Caporegime
Surely something catastrophic happened early on.
If they had made it to the bottom near the titanic, wouldn't they have been at least located?

I assume they have a standard route they go on? And all reports seem to show contact was lost early?

Soldato
Pack of playing cards on board would come in handy right now
Nah, any movement or talking will just use up the oxygen faster.

If they had made it to the bottom near the titanic, wouldn't they have been at least located?
The debris field is something like 15 square miles, no easy way to determine what is where.

Soldato
Even if by some miracle there is ship with a long enough winch cable the ROV
Does sub have a way of attaching a cable , or it would need to be a sling ?

---------

if it were near/on surface when banging was heard, if they had had residual power for the lights then that might have been visible overflying at night - are they using drones

Soldato
How long will they keep looking for them for then? Bit grim that their bodies will be left to slowly rot.
Wouldn't they be preserved like food in airtight containers once they run out of oxygen ?

I don't think there is, it's one thing being able to get down there in another craft but a completely different ballgame to be able to raise something of that size and weight.

I think I read somewhere that there's only 2 crewed vessels on the planet capable of getting to them but they're not built for rescue, so best option is likely a line that can winch them out

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wouldn't they be preserved like food in airtight containers once they run out of oxygen ?

I think I read somewhere that there's only 2 crewed vessels on the planet capable of getting to them but they're not built for rescue, so best option is likely a line that can winch them out

You are not guiding a line 2.5 miles down in the water in a couple of hours.

Soldato
OP
I don't think there is, it's one thing being able to get down there in another craft but a completely different ballgame to be able to raise something of that size and weight.

The weight in the water will be lower than the vessels actual mass because of the buoyancy effect, assuming it isn't full of water.

It is designed to be almost neutrally buoyant, slightly negative probably to descend.

I'm guessing on the actual number but the weight that would be felt on a line might only be a fraction of the vessels actual mass, maybe as low as 5% of it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Has it been determined the noises heard is from the sub?, for all we know it could just be a whale with wind.

I read (can't remember the link) that it's a "known" navy technique where you bang/make noise for three minutes on the hour and every half hour in these kind of situations. Whether they're actually doing this or just banging constantly is another thing..

Last edited:
Caporegime
Has it been determined the noises heard is from the sub?, for all we know it could just be a whale with wind.

I don't think there's a way of 100% confirming it but the banging was spaced out in 30 min intervals and the ex French navy officer on board will be aware of this form of SOS signalling.

Soldato

they didnt confirm if its following the protocol ? All I can search for its just they heard noises

“There's a couple of reasons for that,” he explains. “Firstly, on board this craft is a retired French navy diver. He would know the protocol for trying to alert searching forces… on the hour and the half hour you bang like hell for three minutes

Last edited:
Soldato
Surely something catastrophic happened early on.

I assume they have a standard route they go on? And all reports seem to show contact was lost early?

Was it? I read they lost it 1hr 45min into 2hr dive, though 2hrs doesn't really sound long enough to go down 4000m, look around and then get back. In my head they should have been on their way back up at the point they lost contact. TBF I probably read/ remember it wrong.

Soldato
I read on the BBC News site’s live feed about this (but typically can’t find it again to quote) that supposedly for the banging on the hull to be heard, the submersible should be relatively close to the surface. The fact someone is banging is accredited to the presence of the French Navy man on board, as this is supposedly the process if lost under water at sea.

Even if the sub was surfaced, it would apparently be very difficult to spot, as only a tiny piece of it is actually visible above the surface.

Caporegime
Was it? I read they lost it 1hr 45min into 2hr dive, though 2hrs doesn't really sound long enough to go down 4000m, look around and then get back. In my head they should have been on their way back up at the point they lost contact. TBF I probably read/ remember it wrong.
I assumed it would take longer to get down too. But I only assumed that.

I kind of hope they find it was an explosion. Because I'd rather that for myself than waiting to suffocate.

Who knows what horrors they'd find if it's a atomb. Someone else said about them turning in each other. You never really know in such extraordinary circumstances what people might do.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it was a 2 hr dive to the wreck, 4 hours at the site, then however long to surface iirc

Last edited:
Soldato
I believe it’s a 4 hour trip down, 4 hours back up.

Back
Top Bottom