Titanic submersible confirmed destroyed with loss of all five souls onboard.

Soldato
Copied and pasted from the BBC website.

Why now, surely it made more sense for this to have been sent at the beginning of the week?! :confused:
It seems at the start the US wanted to control this all on their own. In the last day other countries have been allowed to join. I would have thought the UK and other countries would have been ideally placed to find this sub as they have deeper diving equipment and are very used to tracking Russian subs moving around.

Soldato
It seems at the start the US wanted to control this all on their own. In the last day other countries have been allowed to join. I would have thought the UK and other countries would have been ideally placed to find this sub as they have deeper diving equipment and are very used to tracking Russian subs moving around.

That seems extremely naive.

Soldato
Probably a turf war between a bunch of politicians/private companies wanting to get involved, wasting up time - before they allowed anyone else with the actual capability to get involved...

Last edited:
Soldato
I realise this is very tragic for the families and friends involved, but the amount of press coverage (multiple headline stories on the BBC front page all the time for the last few days etc), is really not sitting well with me.

Some rich people spent a lot of money to do a very risky thing and they have likely died doing it.

I'm not saying it doesn't deserve an article or two, but the British press have made it into the most important thing going on in the world right now, and i think it kind of typifies a failing of our society and press somewhat.
Because it taps into something wired into many humans. The intrigue, race against time, trapped underwater, will they be rescued etc. Not hard to see why people want to hear about this.

Caporegime
Yeah around 500 people including children drowned when a boat capsized in the med. 5 rich people in a sub generated 50+ pages more.

I don't think it's rich vs poor that creates the interest difference.

One is a capsized boat and the people involved will typically be dead very rapidly. There's no potentially heroic story to be told, no extended rescue mission to take place etc.

Here, there's a story the media can tell and that people can follow that drags out for several days with a diminishing flicker of hope that the day can be saved. Will the air run out? Can we get there soon enough? How do we get it out if we find it? etc. etc. etc.

Soldato
Its just an observation. Should 5 people trapped/drowned in a sub get more press attention than 500 people drowning?
Why are you asking rhetorical questions? Who would decide? On what basis do you think this is getting more interest? The fact it is a developing story of unique interest, or the fact that they're white? :S

Last edited:
Associate
Its just an observation. Should 5 people trapped/drowned in a sub get more press attention than 500 people drowning?

It's captivated most of the world I expect and has lots of things that intrigues people. A homemade sub, the Titanic, a global effort to locate the missing people, Billionaires, crackpot explorers the list goes on.

Of course it will be all over the news.

Back
Top Bottom